Cash withdrawals - disabling the facility

Options
13»

Comments

• Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    I once swiped the wrong contactless card, by taking two out of my wallet and getting too close with it. It would have been nice to able to "turn it off".
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    Not a stupid question at all, some less than sensible answers though.

Using the same pin on several cards is not stupid either and can be more secure.

Unless I'm missing something I can't see how having the same pin on multiple cards can be more secure?.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something I can't see how having the same pin on multiple cards can be more secure?.

More pins are more difficult to remember, people might write them down to remember, writing a pin somewhere makes it less secure. (And remember I said 'sometimes'.)
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    also don't forget with curve that is mentioned you get 14 days to reverse the transaction and put it on the correct card if you make a mistake.

Not sure how it works but it does, they must delay posting or something.

John
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not a stupid question at all, some less than sensible answers though.

Using the same pin on several cards is not stupid either and can be more secure.
    takman wrote: »

I read an article somewhere that reported a study as to whether having unique passwords for different websites was better than using the same password for all sites.

The conclusion was that having different passwords for accounts was less secure because the shear volume of passwords that people needed to remember led to them writing down the passwords/password hints.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    john1002 wrote: »
    also don't forget with curve that is mentioned you get 14 days to reverse the transaction and put it on the correct card if you make a mistake.

Not sure how it works but it does, they must delay posting or something.

John
    Go on, post a link to show us ...
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    More pins are more difficult to remember, people might write them down to remember, writing a pin somewhere makes it less secure. (And remember I said 'sometimes').

You never actually said "sometimes" ;)
    TheShape wrote: »
    I read an article somewhere that reported a study as to whether having unique passwords for different websites was better than using the same password for all sites.

The conclusion was that having different passwords for accounts was less secure because the shear volume of passwords that people needed to remember led to them writing down the passwords/password hints.

I don't really agree with that argument in regards to passwords. Your much better writing down passwords in a notebook than using the same password on every site. The chance of someone breaking into your house and stealing your password book is miniscule compared to one site being hacked and your password for every site being obtained.

But there isn't any need to write down any passwords or pins for cards If you use a system to remember them.
    I have a system I use to have a different pin on each card based on digits printed on the card. So all i need to remember is one "algorithm" to have a different pin for each card.
    I also use a similar system to have a different password for each website.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    john1002 wrote: »
    I rather like that. Very innovative!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business