PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wheat free recipes and ideas

Options

Comments

• elliot's_mum
    Options
    Does anybody have a good recipe for making your own gluten free pasta, and which is the best brand of flour to use please? It seems quite daunting when you see the ingredients in the flour bags and wonder if it will turn out like wallpaper paste!!
    Thank you
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    savvy wrote:
    AHA I wondered why I couldn't ever flamin find them on there!! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I think they have the best range out of all the supermarkets :confused:, although Waitrose stock Mrs Crimbles muffins which I think are THE best wheat free muffins, and very close to real ones, oh and the wheat free chocolate orange brownies are awesome!! :o:o:o
    I'm taking that comment back now! Sainsbury's have proved the best over the Christmas break, they've got a really good range of products now.

But for some weird reason, and I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this, the pitta breads are unavailable in ALL the big supermarkets, I've not been able to get them for around 2 months now!!! :mad:
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    Options
    Does anybody have a good recipe for making your own gluten free pasta, and which is the best brand of flour to use please? It seems quite daunting when you see the ingredients in the flour bags and wonder if it will turn out like wallpaper paste!!
    Thank you
    Hi elliot's mum, I haven't got in to making wheat free things much but just googled and found this one and another one here but uses one of their own products.
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • elliot's_mum
    Options
    Thanks, will go shopping for Amaranth flour at the weekend!
    :-)
  • Michael_K
    Michael_K Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you

I got a good result using buckwheat flour for pasta. The flour was Doves Farm, available in health food stores and Tesco, and the method was on the packet, called Pizzocheri. I didn't use eggs though.

Any plain gluten-free flour should work. There was a recent thread on home made pasta with some good tips.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • cordial
    cordial Posts: 542 Forumite
    Options
    There are loads of recipes at https://www.glutafin.co.uk ... even if they keep pushing their own flour, needless to say.
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not wheat free except once a year for 8 days at Passover when I don't eat wheat (except matzah - like a big cracker) for religious reasons - try googling kosher passover for a HUGE range of wheat-free recipes for cakes, puddings etc - although some will use matzah meal (which is ground-up matzahs made of wheat and therefore no use for those who can't tolerate wheat, obviously), there are thousands upon thousands of recipes using potato flour, ground almonds etc - I'll ask my mum for some of her cake recipes - she does some very reasonable biscuits, chocolate brownies etc, all wheat-free - the poorer ones taste like they're made of sand or air! but the good ones taste much like the real thing. They're not expensive. If you live in or near a Jewish area, check out the shops around Passover-time (Easterish) for suitable products - it will include a huge range of wheat-free foods - pricey but probably no more than standard wheat-free. Better still, look after Passover, when it all gets hugely reduced!
  • savvy
    Options
    Brilliant tips carolt, thanks :T:T

A little up date on the wheat free pittas, typically after I moaned on here about it, they had some in a Tesco up in Brum last night :j:j looks like the freefrom branding has been changed :confused:
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    savvy wrote:
    Brilliant tips carolt, thanks :T:T

A little up date on the wheat free pittas, typically after I moaned on here about it, they had some in a Tesco up in Brum last night :j:j looks like the freefrom branding has been changed :confused:

Tesco also do great gluten free garlic and corriander naan breads ... having some tonight with a chicken curryicon7.gif
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • savvy
    Options
    MimiJane wrote:
    Tesco also do great gluten free garlic and corriander naan breads ... having some tonight with a chicken curryicon7.gif
    I know they ARE nice! ;) We use them as pizza bases (which weirdly enough we're having tonight!!) as they are more spongier than the proper wheat free pizza bases, which are more like biscuit frisbees! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure