£170000 in 10 years

Options

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you eatingtheelephant that is very kind of you.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Well done - great monthly figures. You need to stop being so hard on yourself - you are doing really well
  • try_harder
    Options
    Thank you busymee1 ,i think im just sad that its taken me so long to see the light but as time goes along i am definitely feeling more confident in myself. I am also following you very closely and picking up lots of tips,i have written out my monthly update in my book so that i can keep looking at it ,im so pleasedand well done you too ,great june figures.
  • LightBulbMoment
    Options
    Hi try harder,

Just caught up on your diary. You really are doing so well.

I feel the same as you about money spent in times gone by and the amount I have wasted on just rubbish. However, I really try not to keep going over that as I know I have changed and am more accountable than I ever have been.

The trick is to stay like that and not drift back into old ways because you become less motivated. That is why I started my diary to make sure I stayed on the straight and narrow path to no debt.

Take care and have you listed your five items today?

LBM
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Try Harder,

Sorry missed a few days of posts there - have caught up now though. I know what you mean about having differing views on the referendum - it is very hard and has been (and probably will be) very divisive. My mum and I have agreed to disagree and not talk about it, but it's very hard when every topic seems to come back to the state of the nation/economy at the moment!

You're doing brilliantly on the mortgage front though - the figures for June are great! It's amazing how it adds up, isn't it?!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    Options
    Evening everyone ,yesterday i paid in £489 overpayment to my sub account 1 and paid it off in full i was a bit naughty i used my £242.30 for this week and paid the rest from my savings ,i just couldnt wait ,so now i have 1 sub account totally paid off ,3 to go though and much bigger than the first one,but i am very pleased.
  • try_harder
    Options
    Thank you lightbulbmoment ,yes i have listed 10 items since yesterday although i did cheat i newly listed 3 and relisted 7 ,so does that count?Thank you themadvix ,i am very happy with how everything is going and strangely enough with little effect on my daily life ,we are still eating very well even on a much reduced budget ,we have never spent much on ourselves my husband and i and now that all our children are grown up we dont have the same outgoings ,so its a good time to start .
  • try_harder
    Options
    Good morning everyone ,its a beautiful day here again today which really lifts the spirits.Ihave had a good week money wise ,sold a few bits on ebax and through gtree etc, my food budget has stayed on target ,i have kept to my £45 ,last night we had stuffed marrow ,the marrow and courgettes were given to us and i had bought 4 burgers at waitrosx for 2 pounds divided into two so £1 for the mince and a few left over vegs and rice it was delicious and no more than £2.I had bought grapes reduced to 80 pence and an angel cake reduced to 30 pence so i still had around £3 left from my £6.50 daily allowance so bought milk and toilet rolls and cat food at aldix with the difference ,i am so enjoying this challenge.Ihope this coming week will be as good .
  • try_harder
    Options
    Morning all.This week i start to tacle my 2nd sub account after clearing sub account 1.This one looks a lot more daunting standing at £13,071.19 ,this is my next smallest ,the last two are way higher ,i have calculated that at £242.30 a week it will take 54 weeks to clear and that is if i can keep to my weekly payment very scary stuff.My food budget is going amazingly well and i have been keeping to my £45 a week target ,the £105 i save from what used to be a £150 a week food budget now goes to the overpayments so that is a huge help.But i do feel anxious this week thinking that the next 10 years virtually all of our spare money is going to the mortgage and in 12 years we will retire with no significant savings ,i shall have to try and think how i can raise some more money each week to go towards it or we will be living on just the state pension with no back up.
  • LightBulbMoment
    Options
    Hi Try Harder

You sound like you are doing so well. We both really do need to get our thinking caps on and come up with an idea to raise some extra cash.

I just want the weather to be ok at the weekend so I can go and do a car boot sale to get shot of all the boxes in the garage. But with the rain it really is not happening at the moment.

You really seem to have your food bills sorted out. Do you now shop each day and if you do is that not time consuming or do you find it works best for you?

Any way must dash as I have so much work to do today so need to get a move on.

Take care of yourself

LBM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family