Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue

Options

Comments

• flyc42
    Options
    I add the material below as a warning to anyone considering 24/7 for boiler and central heating cover. I have rarely come across such ineptitude as the following correspondence demonstrates.

Thank you for your (two identical) replies to my complaint via email on November 23rd. However, I think we might be at cross purposes. Your reply says you have reviewed my complaint and apologises for an engineer not arriving at an arranged time. Forgive me, but I don't think you read my email very carefully if at all. My complaint was about a completely different matter.

This is what I think has happened. Your email is clearly a standard pre-prepared template response to the many complaints you must get on a daily basis. Someone has clearly pressed the wrong key. Perhaps the standard response to my complaint is sitting in someone else’s inbox and they are now as puzzled as I am.

That being the case and for the avoidance of doubt, I have copied below my original complaint in the hope that, at least in part, there might be a glancing reference to the points I have raised. I’m pretty sure there will be a standard response on file. It’s just a case of hitting the correct key:

I bought one of your more expensive packages. WS0105887. I wanted the peace of mind that should anything go wrong with the boiler I would receive speedy, reliable service.

The boiler HAS failed. The hot water supply is frequently no more than tepid, the digital display is blank and the boiler continues to heat the central heating system long after the desired temperature is achieved.

Despite these faults, when the problem was reported 24/7’s response was that the problems did not meet the company’s criteria for repair under the contract.

Those criteria are:

Breakdown

means a sudden and unforeseen mechanical or electrical malfunction which results in the particular unit not working completely (i.e. no heating or hot water is available).

A representative of the company said that because the boiler was heating water the condition didn’t represent a “breakdown” despite there being no hot water available. Well, my contention is that “sudden and unforeseen” applies, as does “electrical malfunction” given the blank display, all of which adds up to the boiler “not working completely.”

If your business model is so precarious that you need to use semantics to justify not honouring your contractual obligations, then the Lord help you.

The representative I spoke with was adamant that complaints had to be in writing. I am equally insistent that you should explain to me in writing clearly and precisely why my boiler breakdown does not qualify for repair under my contract with you so that I can take the matter further.

Once again, I look forward with a degree of trepidation to your reply.

Thank you for your email.

I have reviewed your account and can only apologise about the wrong email being forwarded to you.

I can see that the claim was declined as the fault reported did not amount to a breakdown. As per the terms and conditions of the contract we cover you solely for a complete loss of heating and hot water, as confirmed at point of claim the facilitates were not as hot as you would like them to be.

You opted into a pay on use service and the engineer attended to diagnose and he reported that parts were required. Our technical team contacted the tenants to get the serial details from the boiler, due to no contact for several days the claim was closed down. Should you want to proceed please contacted the technical team with the serial details on 0345 3192 247.

Regards 247 Complaints Team

Thank you for your response which is pretty much as I expected. Before I say farewell, I would just like to make one or two observations for your consideration.
    As it’s my name on the contract, I am surprised that the technical team persisted for so long trying to contact the tenant for the serial number of the boiler instead of calling me. When the technical team did finally contact me it received the details requested by return, although their email to me seems to have been sent after the claim had been closed down.
    As you say, an engineer visited and advised that spare parts were required to rectify the problem. I can’t help wondering why the engineer didn’t think to make a note of the unit’s serial number there and then while he was on site.
    You ended your email by saying that if I wanted to proceed I should contact the technical team on 0345 319 2247. After the obligatory quarter of an hour’s wait for an answer, I was told that it was the wrong department. Perhaps you could amend your contacts book.
    I forwarded the requested details to someone called Luke on November 30th and my one desire now is that this job is completed so that I can get out from under.
    I am clearly with the wrong company given that I simply want cover when a boiler fails to operate within its stated parameters. Thankfully, three other providers I have spoken with define a ‘breakdown’ as just that.
    Please don’t bother to reply. I have written this as much as a warning to others as a response to your email.
  • woodie1942
    Options
    Did you ring your Bank like we suggested??

Ring your bank and complain. Tell them you want it sorted once and for all...........they will put a stop to it and pull the money back!

Yes; I spoke to the bank and the intermediary company used by 24/7 HomeRescue to manage their Direct Debit arrangements. They both told me that because the company has my sort code and account number they can at any time re-instate a Direct Debit. Naturally I instructed the bank (again) that they are NOT to pay any money from my account to 24/7 HomeRescue. They said that this would be noted but it remains my responsibility to check my statements regularly! So it seems that anyone who has had a contract with this outfit needs to keep on the lookout!!! (And yes, the bank did pull my money back.)
  • FirstAve
    Options
    I have to add to the list of service complaints about 247 Home Rescue sadly.

t’s very easy to set up a policy with them online and seems efficient until ...you have to deal with the call centre.

I could write a small novel, but will spare you that. In short I received promises of service deliverables that simple weren’t met and numerous call transfers because ‘another department deals with that’.

When I subsequently contacted the complaints team, they initially responded on the basis of a complaint that was factually different to mine. When I asked them to re-read my complaint they responded informing me that I had allegedly received contact (and had been booked a service appointment) that (i) I had not received / been informed of and (ii) I had not been told of in my earlier dealings with their contact centre.

In the end I just gave them notice to cancel my policy (they confirmed it was cancelled by phone - but their oral confirmations have proven less than reliable for me to date) and went back to British Gas. Hopefully 247 won’t keep trying to re-instate my direct debit.
  • AndyPumphrey
    Options
    24/7 Rescue Service
    We received very poor service from this company:
    - we tried to book a service which was difficult, they said they would confirm a date and never did.
    - when we contacted then again they said they knew nothing about it.
    - when our boiler stopped producing hot water they told us because the water was slightly warm the claim was not covered and refused to come out. When I tried to discuss this issue the lady on the phone just told me it was not covered and she would have to end the conversation

Back to British Gas for us
  • Big_Essex_girl
    Options
    Signed up in sept, and paid the whole year up front. Couldn’t book a service until March. Tried to cancel and got abused, and not all my money back, despite them not fulfilling their side of the contract.

Do not use them.

You’ll get better service from your local guys.
  • Bat71
    Options
    Hi

I just wanted to ask anyone with experience with this company on my rights of cancellation. I've looked ta the T&C's and none the wiser..

I signed up with them in mid June, and had to call out in August. Again like many got duped with the boiler is too old to be covered (even though i had stated the age in the sign up process) and then that it was deemed beyond economic repair so had to pay £240 to get it fixed. I wanted to cancel the cover at the time thinking it was possible as I was on a 30 day rolling contract but seem to remember it being explained that I would have to pay a cancellation charge.

On the website it states

You may cancel your service plan by writing to us at the above address. Cancelling a rolling service plan requires 30 days notice, which can be given at any time after the initial 14-day cooling off period from the start date or the annual anniversary of your service plan, provided that a claim or service has not been completed. The maximum cancellation charge is £120 and is applied for every 12 months of cover, beginning on the start date of your service plan.The cancellation process is outlined in your terms and conditions booklet.
  • The_Jester
    The_Jester Posts: 230 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2017 at 11:44AM
    Options
    I need to change my service cover as Homeserve cover will double up in January. I done a quick search on energy helpline and was offered a good deal with 247. First thing was to check the reviews on here.

I won't bother now. I'll move to EDF energy.
  • Bat71
    Bat71 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    It's not too old to cover, but there is an hidden mandatory £75 excess which they sprung on me.
    I'm guessing I will have to just pay until the end of the contract in June.

If anything happens to the boiler in the meantime, seeing how much I have been stung already, I will probably just get a local business to repair it as it will probably end up cheaper.

THAT'S HOW USELESS THIS INSURANCE IS!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Mridu
    Options
    Hi all

Please beware that 24 7 home rescue isn’t financially registered company so don’t buy any cover from them. I wish I had read warning before but now I am stuck with this bad operator. Don’t only rely on trust pilot reviews because they mean nothing if company can get away with messing customers. I never had such a bad experience from any other company so far. Very rude staff, engineers don’t have a clue about boilers, misleading terms and conditions!

Stay away from bad operator 24 7 home rescue
  • sally321
    sally321 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 September 2018 at 9:13AM
    Options
    {Text removed by MSE Forum Team}
    I TRIED REFERRING THEM TO THE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN ONLY TO FIND OUT THEY HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO BE REGULATED BY THE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN. I WONDER WHY!!

Without going in to too many details as this company does not deserve my time or effort, the customer service is one of the worst ever ever...... The advisor have no idea what they are doing, keep telling lies, after putting the phone down- they will always write a pack of lies about the conversation, when i asked to put through to manager, they refused and cut the line off.......

Anyway they have taken couple of £30 charges from my account that I refused to pay upfront as I am not liable for the costs, so they went behind my back and took money via DD on top of the normal DD amount without my knowledge. Shocking isn't it?

I contacted bank and they have advised they will get the money back. I cancelled all the DD with them. Now I will email the company and tell them I want to cancel the contract - not sure how this will go down!
    They {Text removed by MSE Forum Team} should not really be trading at all!! I have been advised to refer them to trading standards which is my next step, but this can be done by going thorugh citizens advice bureau who will then refer me on....
    wish me luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure