Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• guzzbuzz
    guzzbuzz Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i read the stickie at the front of the thread. I want to exchage £ for Czech korona

Is still best to use the travelmoneymax.com searcher?

The top rated ones all seem to not be FCA Regulated. What are the dangers of this then? Would i have to complete the purchase on my debit card and then collect it from one of the shops?

Or is there another way around this and i can order and then just pay at the shop when i go to pick it up?

Thanks
  • Jessicamartin
    Options
    I think better to use credit card, they are they cheapest way to convert currencies.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I think better to use credit card, they are they cheapest way to convert currencies.
    It depends on the credit card.
  • Mike_J
    Mike_J Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 April 2017 at 8:12AM
    Options
    Just booked a holiday to Krakow in August. Hoping a number of friends will have left over currency that I can buy for the initial arrival expenses but planning on using my Clarity card for expense and (based on a number of consistent recommendation, changing sterling to Zloty in Poland if required) BUT just wondering how the MSE currency converter is showing a rate for the clarity card of 5.19 when the official mastercard rate (which I understand is the one used for this card at conversion) hasnt shown anything about 4.95 for a good few week.

Are Clarity card THAT good, is there an error on the tool .......... or am I missing something ?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mike_J wrote: »
    Just booked a holiday to Krakow in August. Hoping a number of friends will have left over currency that I can buy for the initial arrival expenses but planning on using my Clarity card for expense and (based on a number of consistent recommendation, changing sterling to Zloty in Poland if required) BUT just wondering how the MSE currency converter is showing a rate for the clarity card of 5.19 when the official mastercard rate (which I understand is the one used for this card at conversion) hasnt shown anything about 4.95 for a good few week.

Are Clarity card THAT good, is there an error on the tool .......... or am I missing something ?
    It looks like there's a substantial error in the rates given by Travelmoneymax for using Clarity card, too high for PLN, too low for CZK, EUR - maybe all rates...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Mike_J
    Mike_J Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    It looks like there's a substantial error in the rates given by Travelmoneymax for using Clarity card, too high for PLN, too low for CZK, EUR - maybe all rates...

Think I might "double-check" the comparison results with the mastercard currency converter as well. Thought the quoted rate looked wayyyyyyyyy to good.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there still a comparison tool on here to find out where to get the best rate on euros?
  • christon1
    christon1 Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I have quite a lot of Egyptian pounds, I wanted to re sell them back as obviously cannot go anymore, Asda advised me that they do not buy or sell Egyptian notes anymore and I most probably will lose the value which is about £500. Does anyone know if I can exchange them anywhere?
  • DownTime
    DownTime Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    christon1 wrote: »
    Hi

I have quite a lot of Egyptian pounds, I wanted to re sell them back as obviously cannot go anymore, Asda advised me that they do not buy or sell Egyptian notes anymore and I most probably will lose the value which is about £500. Does anyone know if I can exchange them anywhere?

http://www.linkfx.co.uk/rates/
  • mrsvanderkamp_2
    Options
    Hi

I have ordered some euros to pick up at Stansted on Saturday. I did this primarily because the rate offered was 1.1289, but as you pay on collection, if the rate goes up significantly post the GE, I could cancel the order and start again without incurring any loss. My only question, and I don't seem to be able to find a clear answer to on their website, is whether if the rate I have ordered at is fixed, meaning that if the rate goes down, I still get my euros as per my confirmed order rate? I think this is the case from past use with them, but I just want to be sure and wondered if anyone could confirm.

Many thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure