The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just catching up with this thread ...

Increasing mileage has some effect on efficiency.
    Running is becoming easier.

Brought my 5k PB down to 19:14 now, so temping to go and do a flat parkrun when I can fit it in to bring it down sub 19.
    10k PB is now down below 41 mins (even on a race with over 500 feet of ascent), hoping to bring that down below 40 mins in the middle of may with my last road race for a while.

All in all good progress, did a 7 mile run at marathon pace (~7 min/mile) last night and it felt like I could have run that pace for a long time. Hopefully going out on Sunday to attempt a 20 mile run with about 2000 feet of ascent to see how it feels. Only doing that gently though :)

Just need to stay injury free now and hopefully all this hard work will pay off with finishing the marathon in one piece. Small matter of surviving a weekend in the peak district next weekend with a couple of sort of races.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    These sub 20 minute 5k runs seem awfully fast to me. It must be risky pushing that hard... Apart from damage to limbs and muscles there must be an increased risk of cardiac arrest?
    I don't want to be a doom mungerer (sic?) but it worry's me.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    These sub 20 minute 5k runs seem awfully fast to me. It must be risky pushing that hard... Apart from damage to limbs and muscles there must be an increased risk of cardiac arrest?
    I don't want to be a doom mungerer (sic?) but it worry's me.

Its much better for you than not doing it. And its not flat out collapse over the line pace.
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Been a while for me. My marathon training is now kicking into high gear - or should I say long?
    Did 14 miles a fortnight ago but my 10 mile run last Sunday just fell apart, couldn't even manage 2 1/2 and I tried twice. Took it on the chin and went home and had a chillax that day.
    Tomorrow I should be doing 16 and on Friday afternoon I was all geared up and looking forward to it (as much as one can, I suppose) and then I found out my grandad died. I'm still going to go out tomorrow but not sure if I'll do the full 16 although I hope I do. I'll let you know how I get on.
    71 days until Loch Ness marathon!
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Good luck mrsp1987, sometimes the run is a good thing to give you time to process.

Should really update as it was April my last update.

Did my trail marathon in 3hrs 18.
    Just brought my 10k PB down to just under 38:30
    And my 5k to roughly 19:00

Currently about to start training for my 35 mile race in August.
  • stepuptothepl8
    Options
    Am very jealous of a 19min pb for 5k; in fact I'm jealous of all your times!

I'm definitely a plodder. Currently not much running going on, I've got two weeks til my 100km walk, and then I have to get my running head back on for Bristol half in September. Tips for improving pace very much appreciated!
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Considering that I've not felt very good about my running recently I'm happy to report that I complete my 16 miles in just over 3 1/2 hours. It wasn't a perfect run but it was the best one I've had in a long time and my lungs felt good, my legs didn't feel too bad and I was able to keep going (walking breaks included of course).
    It was also very good for my mental health and I don't feel as much grief at the moment, but that may return. All in all a good long run
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Tips for improving pace very much appreciated!

More miles and some separate Fast interval sessions have been the biggest factors in my improvements.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm migrating over here from the C25K thread.

I completed my first 5K a few weeks ago and gave myself a bit of time to get more used to it (and go on holiday! I managed a couple of 3K runs in the heat on the hills while away so I didn't entirely stop :) ). So this morning I got the C210K app and I'm all excited to go, especially as I've just discovered that 5K graduates start at W9!

I do tend to have problems with stiffness after running despite stretches. A friend who's a sports coach taught me a gluts stretch which has eliminated the difficulties with the outside of my hip joint (I do actually have 2 hips but only one gives me gyp :D). Now I'm noticing the stiffness at the front of my hip so if anyone can suggest a remedy I'd be very grateful.

Right, time to get going, but I'll be back because glancing through this thread I can see there's a lot I can learn.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Last short race for a while for me last night. Went through 5k in 18:28 :) which is 40 secs faster than I've ever run before :)
    Back to long slow training for a bit now. aka 5 days in the lake district running around the mountains
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport