Free EHIC Discussion

Options

Comments

• scottishperson2
    scottishperson2 Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2012 at 10:28AM
    Options
    waltervs wrote: »
    We have just come back from Austria where we tried to use our EHIC cards to go and see the doctor.

He was not in the least bit interested in them and insisted, instead, that we pay his fees up front, claiming that we could "then claim them back on our insurance".

I am sure this is not correct. but, on the other hand, where does one report this kind of behaviour?

That is correct, unless the doctor has a contract with one of the health insurance offices. If he doesn't have a contract with the health insurance office you can claim back 80 percent from them.
  • verntern
    verntern Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    furndire wrote: »
    I've just renewed ours for free a couple of weeks ago. Shame people aren't looking on MSE before they renew.

Agreed. This elderly nitwit saw this site
    European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
    and thought it was the NHS/Government site. Looked creatively official. I have now given my Nat Ins. no. Credit card no. Name and address to a 'company' setting out to legally confuse. Lesson learned from not reading the site details properly and paid for a renewal that could have been free.
  • room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank goodness my MIL rang to make sure she was entering the right number for her pin number - she then said it was going to cost her £15 so I did a quick search and saved her £15! What a scam - she'd typed the web address from her existing card into google rather than the address bar. That's my good deed for the day, I shall only charge her £7.50 for the info!!!! :rotfl:
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We are taking our niece with us to Disneyland Paris and she does not have an EHIC card. Neither of her parents are going and they do not have an EHIC card. How do we get an EHIC card for the child, add her to ours which we are renewing at the minute or apply for one in one of her parent's names and add her to theirs?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you can do either. The form will tell you when you get to the appropriate page.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    I think you can do either. The form will tell you when you get to the appropriate page.

I added her to mine, hope it works out!
  • gfg683
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder!
    Just applied for a mid May holiday so should be ok.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just renewed my own EHIC yesterday a week before expiry.

I did what most people do to get the link for application by using a popular search engine. For those people in a rush, s l o w down! That is how mistakes are made and people can up paying for something that is free. It's been mentioned on here umpteen times, the EHIC is FREE to apply for!

Please don't ever pay for something that is FREE!
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2012 at 2:11PM
    Options
    I went to the website from the mse link to ensure I got the right one and had my and my families nhs medical cards and old ehic cards with me to get the numbers from. However the website would not accept the nhs medical numbers from our cards and I had to phone my local nhs primary care office to check if the numbers had changed, they told me the website is set up only to accept English nhs numbers and will not accept Scottish numbers but they told me to use date of birth in the format ddmmyy followed by the 4 digit serial number from the medical card. This was accepted so hopefully we will get our ehic's.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    I just renewed my own EHIC yesterday a week before expiry.

I did what most people do to get the link for application by using a popular search engine. For those people in a rush, s l o w down! That is how mistakes are made and people can up paying for something that is free. It's been mentioned on here umpteen times, the EHIC is FREE to apply for!

Please don't ever pay for something that is FREE!

Update - my card arrived six working days after application.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback