Gift Ideas for Teachers/Teaching Assistants/Dinner Ladies

Options

Comments

• Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options
    Triggles wrote: »
    Personally, I find the whole "oh please not this..." and "I'd rather have this..." thing incredibly distasteful. I would expect someone to be grateful that the child and/or parents took the time to buy or make them a gift in the first place. Whatever happened to "it's the thought that counts?"

I agree it would be extremely distasteful if teachers said this to the parent and child giving the gift and/or requested things in advance. I certainly never expect anyone to buy me a gift and am grateful for whatever I am given. I would hope teachers would always smile broadly and thank the child effusively for anything they received with gratitude. However, we are trying to be honest enough to help give the the OP a few ideas of presents that are particularly appreciated.

More than anything, I love cards with personal messages from parents and children saying something about what they have enjoyed this term etc.

OP you might find some more ideas on this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1679263&highlight=teacher+present

And one of the posters there had a wonderful link to something she made for an end of year present which I though was amazing:
    http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/gallery/member/68702-motherof4/1151525-teacher-thank-you-lunchbox-tin/?c=t

HTH
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2010 at 2:06PM
    Options
    I ( only as a husband of a long serving teacher ) wish to stop the waste of time /money and effort on articles that are so swiftly discarded.

Perhaps then the best policy would be for no gifts, and simply cards only.
    I agree it would be extremely distasteful if teachers said this to the parent and child giving the gift and/or requested things in advance. I certainly never expect anyone to buy me a gift and am grateful for whatever I am given. I would hope teachers would always smile broadly and thank the child effusively for anything they received with gratitude. However, we are trying to be honest enough to help give the the OP a few ideas of presents that are particularly appreciated.

One would think, although I have overheard teachers discussing gifts in a less than pleasant manner, when parents were nearby, which I thought was in poor taste (and also thankfully rare). But these things happen. I guess it's the tone in which some people express their views that makes it seem so objectionable....as if the time and money spent on what is perceived as unwanted gifts are nothing because they are not what the teacher appreciates. Ah well. Some days I think things would be so much simpler if schools simply said "no personal gifts for teachers allowed" and left it at that. Certainly would make it easier on the parents and their budgets as well!
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps then the best policy would be for no gifts, and simply cards only.

Yes , that's a very valid point .
  • karamunroe
    Options
    My mum and dad are both teachers and I LOVE when they get presents at Christmas time!!!!! Chocolates are always a good idea!!!! Mum always loves toilettries - like soap sets - M&S have lovely sets. Teachers always love mugs as well - my friend is an English teacher and everyone kept using her mug in the staff room! She now has a Personalised Mug and no-one will touch it - quite funny actually!!! My cousin's company have new 'Teacher Mug' designs, which are pretty cool for Christmas time.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    My mum and dad are both teachers and I LOVE when they get presents at Christmas time!!!!!

Words fail me !!!
  • carlislelass
    Options
    it was a card only when I was at school, same when eldest was there
  • chumbasmum
    Options
    I always liked the idea of getting a colander, filling it with compost and herbs grown in pots from the supermarket and maybe a bit of cellophane to make it look pretty.

When mentioned to other mums they laughed a lot....

maybe not!
    I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat - Rebecca West

Weight loss 2010 - 1/7lbs :rolleyes:
  • upsadaisy
    Options
    Okay this may hurt some feelings and sound a bit mean. But I'm a teacher and honestly this is really what we think:

no best teacher anythings: we get LOADS!

no homemade food: we don't trust your hygiene standards or with some families you may actually be trying to poison us.

no candles or smelly things: we get loads, they are often overpowering and hard on the skin. For example I hate lavender.

chocolates: nice ones please, not the latest offer from the pound shop. But do remember this is another one of those things we receive loads of. But at least I can regift these.

wine, baileys, spirits: not bad, and can be regifted if not a drinker.

So what would I suggest?

A homemade craft, you made an effort.
    Jewellery: boots and new look all do jewellery that is relatively cheap but NICE. Look at the teacher and try to suss out her style.
    Vouchers: club together, even at £2 per parent that could be £60 voucher. I know all the teachers at my school have said this is what they would prefer.
    Cut flowers: look nice, and I don't have to look after them for long.
    Books: fiction or cookbooks or something you know the teacher is interested in.
    A scarf
    wheatbag, hot water bottle

If you want a personalized idea: a mug with teachers name AND how they take their tea or coffee. Mrs. X's mug Tea with 2 sugars and milk.

Sometimes little fun and funky gifts, ones that are unexpected, go down a treat. Such as mini connect four on a key chain. But I wouldn't give that to a 50 year old teacher, so use some judgement.
  • zippybungle
    Options
    After reading some of the comments from 'Teachers' on here I don't think I'll be bothering with gifts for Teachers this year! A lot of the comments seem very ungrateful to me!
    :p Busy working Mum of 3 :wave:
  • rinroo
    rinroo Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't mean to sound rude but to those of you who are 'teachers' or partners of teachers may I suggest if you really dislike the gifts that your given, be it because the parent of the child think they have to buy you a gift or can only afford to or want to buy cheap chocs or toiletries, rather than complain about the thousands you receive and how you have to find them a home/give them away/re gift them why not send a letter home to parents and say please no gifts, wouldn't take that long to do and will save the hassle all round.

I know the responses are to help the op but there isn't really a need to sound that ungrateful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure