Southwest USA & The West Coast (California, Arizona etc) - General Thread

Options

Comments

• northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JoeA81 wrote: »

We wanted to retain a little flexibility in our highway 1 drive (which we plan to spend 5-7 days doing), so if we liked a certain place we could stay an extra day perhaps and then whiz through anywhere that didnt really grab us.

I'm first to stick my nose in:rotfl:. 5-7 days? That would be way too long for me.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • JoeA81
    JoeA81 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Fair enough, but we went on a campervan holiday in NZ last year, and got absolutely sick of driving endlessly everyday.

Perhaps we are over-reacting against that experience, but we really wanted time to relax and enjoy places we like.

Can I ask, why did you enjoy Death Valley, I'd not really considered it?

Cheers,
    Don't pay off your student loan quicker than you have to.
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Options
    Well when we were originally planning, we were just booking a night at Stovepipe Wells to get our heads down. We were naively just expecting a long boring road through Death Valley with not much to look at. We're both keen walkers and prefer places like DV/GC/Yosemite to SF and Monterey.

I am sure others will say, it's OK, but just OK.

This time, (in Sept) we are staying 2nights to walk and explore even more.:)
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • gracie10
    gracie10 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone recommend places to eat in Santa Monica and Pismo beach please? Thanks
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    MMMMmmmmm...........Doc Bernsteins :drool::drool::drool::drool:
    We still have the periodic table of Ice Cream on our fridge! :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • lazyjack
    lazyjack Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gracie10 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend places to eat in Santa Monica and Pismo beach please? Thanks

Hoagie's in Pismo Beach (don't expect anything fancy): http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g32894-d824019-Reviews-Hoagies_Sandwiches_Grill-Pismo_Beach_California.html

If you like burgers, you've got to try The Counter in Santa Monica: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g33052-d348069-Reviews-The_Counter-Santa_Monica_California.html

Nice place for breakfast in Santa Monica: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g33052-d509480-Reviews-Marmalade_Cafe-Santa_Monica_California.html
  • Dirk_Gently_2
    Options
    gracie10 wrote: »

It's a bit out of Santa Monica - and can get a bit crowded - but for anyone travelling North on Pacific Coast Highway the Paradise Cove Beach Cafe is simply stunning. Good food in a superb setting. Don't be put off by the ludicrously expensive parking lot, that's just for people only visiting the beach. Parking is cheap/free for Beach Cafe visitors.

http://www.paradisecovemalibu.com/beach-cafe/
  • Dirk_Gently_2
    Options
    Hi everyone - I only just stumbled onto this tread/forum - which looks like it'll be interesting and hopefully I'll be able to contribute to. I've done about ten or so self-planned California/South West road trips in the past 20 years, and know Utah particulary well, so if anyone has any Utah-specific questions please feel free to ask away.

Just currently planning a trip starting in Salt Lake City - then 4 days travelling the canyonlands of Utah, including Monument Valley, then across to Vegas, Yosemite and San Francisco.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone - I only just stumbled onto this tread/forum - which looks like it'll be interesting and hopefully I'll be able to contribute to. I've done about ten or so self-planned California/South West road trips in the past 20 years, and know Utah particulary well, so if anyone has any Utah-specific questions please feel free to ask away.

Just currently planning a trip starting in Salt Lake City - then 4 days travelling the canyonlands of Utah, including Monument Valley, then across to Vegas, Yosemite and San Francisco.

Snap(ish), I've got 4 days Salt Lake City, 2 days Cedar City, ! day Vegas, 1 day Death Valley, 1 day Bakersfield and 5 days San Luis Opisbo lined up for this Summer -- happy days.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure