PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller did not removed all furniture

Options
Hi where do I stand? So depressed on completion day. The sellers left the house dirty. In the contract i asked for all furniture to be removed and they left a big warderobe in the bedroom one of those massive ikea things and it will take me a day to dismantle and cut out to take to the dump. What can i do about it?

Comments

• CommitedToChange
    Options
    Contact your solicitor, but I suspect nothing I'm afraid.

Stick it on freecycle/fb someone might take it off your hands for free
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Honestly? Move on and forget about it. It won't be worth the time and effort doing anything else.

I suppose first off I would get my solicitor to write to theirs trying to get them to collect/pay. It will be a no, but I'd have written into that letter 'if not collected by X date, it will be dismantled and disposed of'. That way you can't be held liable if they decide they forgot it and come to collect.

Most houses I've bought have been dirty. The one I bought in Oct was filthy when I viewed so I nearly fell over when I realised she'd had it cleaned top to bottom when I moved in!

Your council may collect it for free (some charge).
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 January 2018 at 5:47PM
    Options
    Just get on with it, you're lucky it's only one wardrobe (I had 15 tyres left in the garden of one property).

Yes it's unfair, but taking the vendors to court for breach of contract will cost you far more time, cash and effort than just disposing of it yourself. Do you have a garden you can have a bonfire in?

Welcome to the world of property purchase.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got rid of a huge fitted wardrobe via Freecycle; the taker even dismantled it and was a robust built-in job!
  • howisthisriskfree
    Options
    Had much the same issue.

Seems to be the case that most houses are dirty, which is no surprise as sellers don't get any more money for having it clean.

IKEA cupboards should be really easy to disassemble though. Even if you can't do it if you offer it for free it's almost certain that someone will take it, and they might even do the disassembly for you.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I'm with HazyJo on the wardrobe thing. Try to contact the vendors to clarify what happened. It could be that they would still like an opportunity to take it away.

If they tell you they don't want it then at least you know where you stand.

Did they sell through an estate agent? They may know better than the solicitor what was going on.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sell it (after what Hazyjo has suggested to ensure the previous owners do not want it), on the advert let potential sellers know they must dismantle it.

Probably easier for them to do so, they cannot say there is a part missing or does not fit.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,837 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the wardrobe needs cutting out then it sounds like it's a fitted/built in wardrobe, in which case it's not something that they would take with them anyway. Isn't it on your list of fixtures and fittings?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pinklady21
    Options
    Take a photo of the wardrobe and offer it for sale on Gumtree. Use the cash to pay for a really nice meal out / takeaway.

If it is a moveable item ask your solicitor if the value can be taken off your Stamp Duty liability.

Have a takeaway this evening, breathe, and enjoy your new home (and fish n chips / pizza / curry......!)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nicos42 wrote: »
    it will take me a day to dismantle and cut out to take to the dump. What can i do about it?

With a sledgehammer a couple of minutes to flatten.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure