PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks PipneyJane, I'd forgotten about that one (probably because I find passing stitches over to be a pain so I try to avoid them, haha).
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, May I barge into your thread please? I don't know why I've never got involved before because I have been an enthusiastic knitter for 70 years, starting off with knitting dishcloths for mother and grandmother. I still can't really relax unless my fingers are busy. My friend tells me that I'm the only person she knows who can read and knit, watch T V and knit and in both cases have a cryptic crossword going on at the same time. I guess it's being of the generation for which the devil found mischief for idle hands.

Anyway, I now have a query. My granddaughter, aged 4, is desperate to learn to knit. Now I have been bitten by this before, trying to teach small children at school to knit. I don't suppose it is part of the curriculum these days. If it ever was! It scarred me for ever. However, I'm about to cave in, against my better judgement. To add to the mix she is left handed.

I was wondering if the continental style of knitting would be easier for her. It's something that I've never done so I would have to learn first - YouTube, I guess.

Does anyone have any advice please?
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • monnagran
    Options
    Hi all, May I barge into your thread please? I don't know why I've never got involved before because I have been an enthusiastic knitter for 70 years, starting off with knitting dishcloths for mother and grandmother. I still can't really relax unless my fingers are busy. My friend tells me that I'm the only person she knows who can read and knit, watch T V and knit and in both cases have a cryptic crossword going on at the same time. I guess it's being of the generation for which the devil found mischief for idle hands.

Anyway, I now have a query. My granddaughter, aged 4, is desperate to learn to knit. Now I have been bitten by this before, trying to teach small children at school to knit. I don't suppose it is part of the curriculum these days. If it ever was! It scarred me for ever. However, I'm about to cave in, against my better judgement. To add to the mix she is left handed.

I was wondering if the continental style of knitting would be easier for her. It's something that I've never done so I would have to learn first - YouTube, I guess.

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi monna you could have asked on the garden fence. Seeing how your DGS is left handed the best thing you can get is a nice big mirror she can watch you knitting in it, it will look like it is left handed. Resist the temptation to take it off her and show her again when she looks awkward she will.

I have never done any continental knitting but I am sure there are others who do.

As for teaching children to knit at school it was part of the curriculum until the beginning of the 60s. I am sure I have seen it on a documentary where they had decided it was a good idea to go back to it as it teaches good hand and eye co-ordination so it helps them to learn to hold a pencil properly.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »

Hi Monaghan, welcome to the thread.

While I have never taught a child to knit, I am left handed. I learned to knit right handed and, frankly, I don't see why your granddaughter can't learn to knit right handed. Knitting doesn't require fine motor movement, unlike writing, and it's a good thing, developmentally, to learn to do some tasks with your wrong hand. Yes, it will feel odd but it is an entirely new skill, so it's bound to be difficult and feel odd regardless of which style you use. Note: if she tucks her right thumb under the needle like a pen, it will be much easier to control and harder to drop. (Look up "Australian style knitting" on YouTube.)

There are at least three different styles of Continental knitting. I find it harder to purl when doing Continental but that may be just me. (I can't keep a rhythm.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • anakat
    anakat Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    Have you thought of starting her off with an old fashioned Knitting Nancy?
  • monnagran
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I really think that she is a bit too young but she is so keen that I don't like to put her off.

nursemaggie, the mirror idea is inspired but I think it might confuse me! At the moment I can guide her fingers but if I am trying to guide them back to front for me I think we would both end up frustrated.

PipneyJane, Thanks for the tucking the thumb under tip. We will try that. She is not too advanced with her fine motor control so knitting can only help. Now if it was talking! Or drama............we are speaking of genius level.

Oh Anakat, how well I remember banging pins into a cotton reel and making yards and yards of woolly tubing. In the absence of wooden cotton reels I believe that they now produce plastic replicas. I'll look out for one, she might find that fun.

The problem with the comtinental knitting is that she wants to knit "just like Monna." After a long lifetime of knitting I'm not sure that I can adapt to a different method.

I'm not too sure why my last post decided to repeat itself 5 minutes after I had submitted it. Let's hope you don't get a double dose of this one.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I tried to teach my GS to knit a scarf for his teddy when he was four but he struggled and we gave up. I think his hands were just too small. In the end I had to knit the scarf under his supervision-lots of "is it done yet, Grandma?"
  • monnagran
    Options
    I know what you mean Thirzah. My little Pickle appeared in my doorway on her way to bed and announced that she would like to wear a long, pink princess dress to nursery the next day and would I please knit one. I said that it might be difficult to get a long princess dress finished in time.
    She thought for a moment and then said kindly, "All right. Just a pair of shoes then."

Monna, thy name is Rapunzal.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I learned to knit at the age of 4. My aunt taught me a completely different method to what my mum used. My aunt only stayed with us for one week so I must have learned fast.

If you get her started she will soon find out how long it takes. When my teacher started teaching me she realised knitting squares was not for me so she taught me to use DPNs. I then spent the next two years kitting nothing but gloves for my extended family and a few friends of mums too I think.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback