MSE News: Barclays customers face months of online and telephone banking disruption

Barclays customers will be locked out of online and telephone banking once a month during upcoming five-month maintenance work...
Read the full story:
'Barclays customers face months of online and telephone banking disruption'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    From the article:
    Be extra careful during this period

Barclays is warning customers to be extra vigilant about online banking fraud and scams during this period.

A spokesperson said: "If you receive any communications that are unexpected and that you think might be fraudulent, please follow the usual steps to report them."

So Barclays kick the process off by sending me, and I assume many other customers, an email with the subject line "5745: System outages in readiness for new banking legislation".

What does '5745' mean, and 'outages'?

I thought it was probably a banking scam message so haven't opened it yet - until I had a chance to do a bit of research. The email address it appears to come from "barclays@email.barclays.co.uk" also doesn't inspire confidence.

So we are being told to be extra vigilant, but our bank doesn't help us by not sending out unexpected messages with strange subject lines.... :rotfl:
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Typical awful Barclays. I just hope that I can renew my Kapersky license with this bank in a few days time. I used to work for them and now have only a few £s with them for Kapersky.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Typical awful Barclays. I just hope that I can renew my Kapersky license with this bank in a few days time. I used to work for them and now have only a few £s with them for Kapersky.
    Yes, what could be better than letting the Russians look after your security :D
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is this the first of many banks, or is it just Barclays being more incompetent than the rest?
  • EachPenny wrote: »
    From the article:

So Barclays kick the process off by sending me, and I assume many other customers, an email with the subject line "5745: System outages in readiness for new banking legislation".

What does '5745' mean, and 'outages'?

I thought it was probably a banking scam message so haven't opened it yet - until I had a chance to do a bit of research. The email address it appears to come from "barclays@email.barclays.co.uk" also doesn't inspire confidence.

So we are being told to be extra vigilant, but our bank doesn't help us by not sending out unexpected messages with strange subject lines.... :rotfl:

Is the email asking you to click on links or provide banking information?
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Is the email asking you to click on links or provide banking information?

I don't know, I haven't opened it yet ;)

If it looks suspicious from the subject line or apparent senders address then it doesn't get opened.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    What does '5745' mean
    What are the last four digits of your account number?
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2017 at 9:29PM
    Goodness knows how a bank or any other organisation is expected to provide you with new information if you are only going to open "expected" emails!

No, it does not have any links in it to log in and nor does it ask you to click on any links - is is after all an informational message about which services are going to be unavailable and when.
    As follows:
    • Online Banking • Mobile Banking app • Telephone Banking • Pingit • Transferring money into / out of your account.
    It tells you about their twitter and service status pages but does not give the links to them.
    It addresses me by name.
    It contains general information on fraud and how to on the look out for it.

The only link it contains is one leading to its general Barclays contact us page and it also gives you a number to call if you want to discuss - being 0333 2027582

All in all a perfectly acceptable and useful banking informational email and probably one of the better ones.
    The number quoted at the start of the email title is indeed the last 4 digits of your current account number
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    What's suspicious about the subject line? Is English your first language, as it is completely obvious to me.
    Likewise the originating email address is the usual one for Barclays information messages, and it is addressed personally (i.e. Dear Mr. Surname) which 99% of scam emails don't do.
    Finally it's hardly unexpected as there was a similar outage the weekend before last which was also forewarned by email, quoting the same legislation, which has also been discussed in the media and elsewhere on here.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2017 at 9:36PM
    Please remember the Barclays digital eagle adverts warning of spam and conning people. If any doubt, contact either customer services or their very dodgy ceo Jes Staley (he was the guy that tried to inappropriately identify a whistle-blower a few months and responds to spam emails from someone pretending to be their chairman after their last AGM).

You have been warned with regards the 'Go-to' bank. I urge nobody to trust it and leave a.s.a.p.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure