PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    How about a chilli con carne with the beef? It doesn't have to be mince.

Good point I think I used to have a Delia chilli recipe that used stewing steak rather than mince.

Im having 2 days off cooking now :T Heading into Liverpool today with a friend so posh lunch may well be on the books (or a cheap eat all you can not sure yet :rotfl:) and tomorrow I am taking my parents out which will probably be Miller or carter pub. Food will be lovely and even better I don't have to defrost or cook it for 2 days :T
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 March 2017 at 11:04AM
    Options
    Ah, I just remembered - I'd intended to make a mac cheese today. I rarely have milk in the house, but I've got some at the moment.

I can't buy/freeze milk as that's one of the things that makes me feel ill: the thought of using frozen milk... we all have those "gross" moments with some foods.

So it's mac cheese today.

I often think of what I'll eat - and then forget I intended to do that; then I eat something else and then realise/remember ... but this time I remembered. Just off now to get the macaroni and flour stacked up in the kitchen before I forget again :)

EDIT: Ah ... forgot about that. In the kitchen I'd already taken a strawberry angel delight out of the cupboard to use that milk - but mac cheese is a better use of it. I only got that packet out so I didn't forget to use the milk up, but it's got a BB date of 10 March on it anyway. Milk used to last 3-5 days years ago .... which is why I gave it up in the first place about 35 years ago - as it'd go off before I'd used it, so I had no milk to use then + a bottle of rancid milk to dispose of.... so I started drinking coffee black :)

Then, on the worktop, is the pack of 5/6 pitta breads I opened last night - so I mustn't forget to eat those up in the next 2-3 days either.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lucky you Nelski enjoy your non-cooking/defrosting 'for one' days off :D

PN I'd definitely go with Mac Cheese but that's because I'm in a savoury rather than sweet mood just now :D

You could even stuff some in a warmed pitta bread...don't think you could do that with strawberry Angel Delight!? :p
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    edited 2 March 2017 at 1:06PM
    Options
    Blimey that mac cheese was gorgeous. Ate it with a tin of tomatoes (1/10 !) ...and a splash of HP.

Easy to make, but creates unwelcome washing up.... did most of it though while waiting for the tomatoes to nuke. Cheese sauce is a mucky thing to wash up after, although doing it straight away it was easier.

Although I nuke ALL my macaroni - and always have done - I've never got round to finding/buying a "proper pasta" cooker .... I've always just made do with what I've got and put up with their short-comings. It's the question of the fluffy bubbles that rise up and spill over... a proper cooker'd have a lip/way of reducing/controlling those. Ah well, if it does drip over at all it's just a quick wipe to clean up straight away, although annoying.
    karcher wrote: »
    .... stuff some in a warmed pitta bread...don't think you could do that with strawberry Angel Delight!? :p

You'd be surprised what I'm prepared to do if I'm hungry and that's all there is :)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Milk used to last 3-5 days years ago .... which is why I gave it up in the first place about 35 years ago - as it'd go off before I'd used it, so I had no milk to use then + a bottle of rancid milk to dispose of.... so I started drinking coffee black :)

Do you get on with the taste of filtered milk, PN? I do, get mine from A!di, £1.09 for four pints (or is it 2 litres, anyway, it's a big bottle). It lasts wayyyy past the use by if kept in the fridge. My fridge freezer is a short trek from the kitchen so I have a little milk jug for teas and coffees through the day, and the bottle stays fresh in the fridge.
    I'm slightly ashamed to give my record use up date, :o but it's 3 weeks past the one on the bottle.

Last night was heavenly smoked mackerel fishcakes, a recipe from both Jack Monroe and Shirley Goode. So good that I had the two that were freezer bound for an early brunch. The flavours had matured overnight.
    This time, what went in to the food processor was:

250g skinned smoked mackerel fillets (with parsley),
    1 drained 500g tin of spuds.
    Half a packet of sage and onion stuffing (other half reserved to coat the cakes)
    2 tbsps mild German mustard (Senf)
    30 ml lemon juice.
    Buzzed in the processor until all was a pate consistency and easy to form in to cakes.
    Made four thick chunky cakes.
    I cooked all four in the oven for 25 mins at 200 deg C.

Something quick and easy today. Not sure what.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Do you get on with the taste of filtered milk, PN?
    I'm a "whole milk, blue top, or nothing" type of person. In the past I've seen red/green top and they're just watery - and donkeys' years ago we had UHT during some shortage in the 70s and it was minging.

So I just stick to what I know and what I know I like.

Drinking coffee black has other advantages - I don't have to have milk in the house - and I don't have to suffer the awful 'other milks' people put into coffees when I'm out, nor their quantities (I used to have a tiny splash of milk, HATE it when there's loads as I dislike the taste of hot milky drinks). I think it also makes mugs easier to rinse out - I use one mug all the time and rinse it out most of the time...there's no fear of manky milk residue going off, or leaving scum.

In the main, not having milk around works - because there are already 100 other items to juggle and use up. It reduces that juggling act by one item :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    food processor
    I've never used one of those.

I make something similar, done in my mini oven, but I mash it all up with a fork. I've also been known to make similar using instant mash :) I don't use those "fancy ingredients" (e.g. lemon and mustard) as I've never got those in.

I do most of my mixing/beating/whipping/blending using a fork and a jug, by hand.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm a "whole milk, blue top, or nothing" type of person. In the past I've seen red/green top and they're just watery - and donkeys' years ago we had UHT during some shortage in the 70s and it was minging.

So I just stick to what I know and what I know I like.

Drinking coffee black has other advantages - I don't have to have milk in the house - and I don't have to suffer the awful 'other milks' people put into coffees when I'm out, nor their quantities (I used to have a tiny splash of milk, HATE it when there's loads as I dislike the taste of hot milky drinks). I think it also makes mugs easier to rinse out - I use one mug all the time and rinse it out most of the time...there's no fear of manky milk residue going off, or leaving scum.

In the main, not having milk around works - because there are already 100 other items to juggle and use up. It reduces that juggling act by one item :)
    I drink plant milks and only get through a 1 litre carton a week. This is mainly for breakfast before work. If I don't have work for a week chances are I won't open a carton otherwise I'd have to think how to use it. I, like you, have coffee black (no sugar either) and there is only so much tea I can drink! There's the chance of hot chocolate for me, using chocolate shot, but I have to be in the mood and it also has to be cold so only any good during winter months.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2017 at 4:07PM
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »

:rotfl:Can relate to that right now - as someone made a "tell off" comment (what? excuse me.....:mad:) that wasnt justified/fair/allowable - so I hit the booze of wine with lunch....:p

Tomorrow is another day and maybe I'll figure out a way to deal with that persons tendency to be like that by then.....

For today - lunch was cauliflower cheese (where somehow I seemed to get the cheese sauce wrong darn it) and some tomatoes with it. Just grabbed some cashew nuts to eat after that.

Not the worlds healthiest meal:( - but...never mind... at least it wasnt "ready meals" I guess. By tomorrow I'll be back on form and ready to make a comment (or two) about the "shouldnt have happened in the first place" comment....:cool:. I know I really must deal with that tendency they have - as this isn't the first time they've done that.....and stop smiling politely/ignoring it. I think it is going to keep happening - if I don't "take the bull by the horns" and tell them to cut it out...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure