Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love that Larkin poem :)

Some standard responses and then removing yourself if it doesn't stop the poison is a good idea. And it's very sad that your son doesn't like your parents, but its completely understandable. Also sad that your father is devastated that his actions have led to your son preferring his other grandparents: but actions have consequences.

You're a very honest person, Alex, and I'm pretty sure you can tell from the feedback on here that *everyone* on here agrees that you personally are going in absolutely the right direction :j:j

Another thing I'm going to agree with you on is that January has gone by *way* too fast :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would also have managed that particular encounter somewhat differently, but my reaction would have featured expletives!

We know one family where there's an element of domineering parents/'generous' with strings and snippy comments, but they have had enough and are buying parents out of family house/cutting ties re. shared investments etc. It is causing them a lot of stress, but they want to be in a position where their finances are completely separate and they can tell parents to butt out.

There is no point offering help and/or generosity over the years if it will be held as a rod to beat you with.

Alex - if your Dad is effectively living in the past - is it because he doesn't have anything to focus on in the present? I know spending time with his son and grandchild should be enough to keep him occupied, but he needs something for himself. It sounds a bit like he domineered his way through several decades of money making, retired and sits around pining for the days when he was a 'big deal'...

There's just no point with my parents. Had either my wife or I reacted differently, it would only make my mother worse.

Could not imagine being in a position to buy my parents out in my wildest dreams. :eek: However, I think in some ways it would be better to have no business / financial ties. There are times I imagine what life would be like if I walked away completely.

My father's health isn't the best. He has good days and bad days. I think he probably does sit around pining for the old days, though I think there's a lot he'd change with hindsight having sat through hours upon hours with him sobbing about some of his choices. He blames himself for some of my problems in life and believes everyone apart from his wife hates him. I've recently tried to get him involved in a local history group but he won't go as he believes no one will want him there. Certainly wasn't like this a year or two ago but he got into his mind he destroyed me and that seems to have destroyed him. Another thing for me to be guilty about, I suppose.
    LadyGnome wrote: »
    Alex I think you might benefit from developing some standard responses to your parents especially your Mum.
    e.g.
    -You should be giving your son a decent education
    - He is happy and learning well

-We sacrificed for your education
    - We have chosen the approach that suits him best. He is happy and learning well.

Don't engage in a discussion
    -You will waste your salary
    - We will use it to meet our financial goals

- You are going to throw it away on a sports car
    - We have financial goals we are working towards successfully.

You can't win the argument with your Mother because she doesn't want to or can't shift her view of you. However, it takes two to argue so if you disengage she doesn't get the feedback / reward and the springboard for her next comment. It just turns into a pointless monologue.

I honestly think this would make her more angry. :rotfl: My mother has become much worse since father is less willing to blame me for everything and started to question their actions. Don't know why he started to do this but almost wish he'd go back to being his old cantankerous self - things were easier that way.
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Great ideas here LadyGnome, I've said it before there is no winning with mother as she will always find a way to turn it against Alex. Let her do that all she wants but just don't let it get to you.

I personally would have stopped sharing stuff with her long ago, just being polite, talk about the weather, TV progs, music or other 'safe' subject but certainly not giving her ammunition - keep your plans etc to yourself and keep giving LGs inspired standard responses to any of her views. It's a shame, you may feel you are not sharing your life with her but frankly she has given up any right to be part of your hopes, plans and thoughts with her continued nastiness over many years. Don't let her keep bringing you down. Your father made his choice and he HAS to deal with her, you don't, you can limit the time she has to snipe by limiting contact. Whenever you do that your natural enthusiasm comes through in your posts, when you have been with her too much your posts get more bleak. See you father on his own, you seem more able to deal with his way of looking back.

Take care

Daisy

Ps is it only me who sometimes gets a vision of this household like Ronnie Corbett 's mum and dad in 'sorry' - sorry Alex :ono idea how far off the mark I am there but it sometimes comes into my head unbidden. I think Corbett 's mum would have been eaten alive by yours though :rotfl:

Things aren't so bad when keeping things to business. In fact, she's fine to work with but as soon as those discussions are over she snaps out of seeing me as a fellow director and starts to see me as her failure son. She is a completely different person with my father, always has been. Them against the rest of the world; he means everything to her. Would honestly do anything to see my son have a marriage like theirs.

Never seen Sorry, so haven't a clue, to be honest. :rotfl:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    I agree with daisy- stop feeding them personal information and make bland conversation, you know it will be used as ammunition.

They almost always ask for personal information, NG.
    It's a shame that we have to suggest 'managing' Alex's parents - I'd dearly like to be able to have a serious conversation with my Dad - even if it was just for him to make snippy comments and act like a !!!!! :D Unfortunately I've got a Dad who refuses to engage in any conversation about life beyond his job or most recent holiday - maybe I'm being managed? :rotfl:

I think parents sometimes don't know what to say to their grown-up children. My in-laws sometimes find it hard to talk to my wife about anything other than trivial matters. They find her a bit intimidating to talk to as I think they're surprised their daughter followed the path she did (work). Perhaps your situation is similar?

Think I'd take holiday Dad over been browsing through old diaries and ready to tell how he would have handled this very day in 1987 differently. Of course, I'm meant to remember the exact events. :rotfl:
    beanielou wrote: »
    & unfortunatly my dad is no longer here.
    Many conversations I wish I had had about financial matters.
    Families!!

Sorry to hear that.

On the positive side, I've had some great advice from my father about financial matters in recent times.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Alex, you need some red and yellow cards! Primary teacher tactic. When your mother says the first totally inappropriate thing you silently hand her a yellow card. If she says something else wildly inappropriate or insulting you hand her the red card, go and get her coat and hold the door open for her!

Wouldn't go down well I'm sure, but I;d be seriously seriously tempted if I were you! Your mother never seems to face any consequences at all for her awful rude behaviour.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alex - the example given of friends re. buying out the parents was simply because they own part of friends house. You and your own wife don't have this problem, do you?

That said, a bit of financial distance might be beneficial, can't your parents appoint a manager for their properties? You are all in each other's pockets to an extent.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks, karmacat. They seem to have an ability to draw me into their problems. Last night I was there until late and slept for about 2 hours which in turn negatively affects my mood / productivity etc.

Need to make some February goals, I think as financially this month has gone well. :)

Red squirrel, :rotfl: I couldn’t really do that but the thought is quite amusing.

Ed: no, my parents don’t have a stake in the house my wife and I own.

Re. Business. It’s not that simple. I’m a director of the company and am now the most involved. Every evening I spend at least a couple of hours sorting various things out and I suppose I feel I have my own stake in it now I’ve started taking on conversion projects and moving other things forward. I have a good relationship with the tenants. Perhaps end up doing silly things like working on houses the tenants have bought but I quite like to see them move on into their first (bought) house etc. Sometimes I want to run away from it, purely focus on my son and my new job for a bit and when the time is right start building something similar, no parental money involved. Prove I could make it, I suppose but I know that won’t happen in reality. As it sits my wife has a lot of experience to complete projects, I am gaining a lot of relevant experience in my new job also, being selfish I’ve decided we can use the money in the business my parents set up (reluctant to say parents’ business as I’ve put a lot of time into it recently and my wife and I are moving it forward).

No idea if any of that makes any sense, not very articulate today. :o
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Bluefire
    Bluefire Posts: 476 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    As usual, I agree with Red Squirrel. You really need to set a boundary with your parents. It only has to be something simple like 'I will no longer tolerate being lectured about my life, and that of my wife & child. Every time you continue to do so I shall leave'

Then you stick to it. The first time it happens you inform them of the boundary, the second time you remind them and from then on you just get up and walk out. In my opinion you need to do this for your own mental health, can you really continue to be treated this way for the foreseeable future?

As for the phone calls & evening visits, if you feel you need to do this for your father then that's what you have to do, but you owe it to your wife to make time for her as well. No visits or phone calls after 8pm for example, except in an emergency. If you answer the phone and it isn't an emergency then you just say you'll talk tomorrow and hang up.

I realise this makes working with your parents difficult, but there has to be a balance between supporting them and building a life for you & your family. Your wife & son should come first, always.
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Re. Business. It’s not that simple. I’m a director of the company and am now the most involved. Every evening I spend at least a couple of hours sorting various things out and I suppose I feel I have my own stake in it now I’ve started taking on conversion projects and moving other things forward. I have a good relationship with the tenants. Perhaps end up doing silly things like working on houses the tenants have bought but I quite like to see them move on into their first (bought) house etc. Sometimes I want to run away from it, purely focus on my son and my new job for a bit and when the time is right start building something similar, no parental money involved. Prove I could make it, I suppose but I know that won’t happen in reality. As it sits my wife has a lot of experience to complete projects, I am gaining a lot of relevant experience in my new job also, being selfish I’ve decided we can use the money in the business my parents set up (reluctant to say parents’ business as I’ve put a lot of time into it recently and my wife and I are moving it forward).

No idea if any of that makes any sense, not very articulate today. :o

That all makes perfect sense - a sense of pride in your own work, a caring nurturing nature makes you want to bridge the gap between your tenants moving out and moving on and a lovely statement to read there that you are no longer thinking of it purely as your parents business. That's a fantastic step forward to see you taking ownership of your part in it - only what we have been saying for the last few years to you and I'm so happy to read that you are beginning to feel like this. Great stuff pal

Dxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, karmacat. They seem to have an ability to draw me into their problems. Last night I was there until late and slept for about 2 hours which in turn negatively affects my mood / productivity etc.

I see what you are saying here but looking at it this way round puts them 'in charge' not the right word but can't think of it right now. Rather than say they somehow draw you in and be 'the victim' here, decide that for example, 'tonight I will go round as I need to discuss x y or z then I will spend 20 min on general parent/son stuff but I will leave at 7.30'. Tell them when you go in that you have a lot of work to do at home, someone to go see, your boy to tuck in or whatever reason will sit well with them and you will be leaving at 7.30 then you MUST leave at that time. After a few times of doing this you can be more relaxed about it but until the message has got home that what you say will happen, will actually happen then you must stick firm to it. This is how you will be able to know you have given the business time and also given them the time as of course they are your parents and you need to spend some time with them however it limits this hours and hours nonsense.

Either that or do the red/yellow card thing :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: brilliant idea, can juse see her face turning purpler each time you red card her. :rotfl:

You just need to shift a little power away from feeling they can 'make' you listen to feeling you are adult enough to say I need to leave now, see you Saturday or whatever.

Well done

Dxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I have a good relationship with the tenants. Perhaps end up doing silly things like working on houses the tenants have bought but I quite like to see them move on into their first (bought) house etc.

That's so lovely, with so many scummy landlords out there its great that there are people like you in the business too. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure