Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I think we will this time. Most times we refix I just stay with the Halifax as it's been a good deal and no faff (a couple of clicks and that's it) but I think we may do some proper shopping through a broker as we're now awkward/risky clients (hubby self emploted, I earn very little from 2 jobs, one of those jobs is as a supply teacher, so almost worse than being self employed)
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So long as you can prove income I don’t think it matters too much re employment / self employment etc. What sort of ltv are you looking at? That can make a difference.

Busy week here and feeling better fortunately. Looking like a busy weekend too. Currently worked out that the first weekend in February will be quiet and the week before will see the overpayment made and our savings looking in a better place. 😀
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    So long as you can prove income I don’t think it matters too much re employment / self employment etc. What sort of ltv are you looking at? That can make a difference.

Ltv is currently sitting at
    40% compared to what we purchased the house at
    34% of what I think we'd get it valued at.
    30% of what next door sold at 18 months ago
    And
    27% of what the house up the road is up for sale at.

So pretty good I feel.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    I think most banks stop offering lower rates at 60% (though I swear I've seen 40% somewhere). Either way, you should be able to get the better/best rates the bank has to offer, based on any of your LTVs. :)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I second HS. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a good rate with your LTV.

Well, we've had a busy week. It snowed here on top of black ice so there was chaos on the roads earlier - lots of people stuck. :( Didn't have a great day yesterday, I was in a really negative frame of mind after a discussion on Friday evening with my mother about business matters which turned personal after all decisions re. business had been made. Had to listen to the "your father and I have made life easy for you but you chose to make things difficult" lecture and the "you don't know what love is" lecture. Had a better day today. :)

Doing well with meat free and AF days. Not done much walking though and a bit ashamed to say yesterday I only did 6,000 steps and spent a lot of the day in bed. :o Do not want the negative frame of mind to become an everyday normality so have forced myself to do as much as possible today. 14,000 steps in the snow to make up for yesterday.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,380 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Families. Nothing like them :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Had to listen to the "your father and I have made life easy for you but you chose to make things difficult" lecture and the "you don't know what love is" lecture. Had a better day today. :)

You say 'had to', but actually no, you don't have to. You can (and should) tell your mother that if she is going to speak to you in this inappropriate manner you will be leaving, and when she continues to do so you can, and should, actually leave. Try it, it will feel incredibly liberating! Nobody has the right to treat you like this, not even your parents, you are an adult and you don't have to stay put and be scolded!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your meat free days. If its something you are wanting to continue, you might find this document interesting. Its the most recent sustainability statement from the British Association of Dietetics and its very relevant to what you are trying to do: https://www.bda.uk.com/improvinghealth/healthprofessionals/policy_statement-_sustainable_food
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good day had today. :) Really enjoying my work at the moment and had a nice dog walk with my wife and son this evening. Managed 15,000 steps and to have a meat and alcohol free day again.

Thanks, RS. I think you're right, I should walk away when this happens again. I cannot access your link but whilst I've no desire to give meat up entirely I will certainly be continuing to cut down the amount of meat we eat and would be interested to read the article. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Good day had today. :) Really enjoying my work at the moment and had a nice dog walk with my wife and son this evening. Managed 15,000 steps and to have a meat and alcohol free day again.

Thanks, RS. I think you're right, I should walk away when this happens again. I cannot access your link but whilst I've no desire to give meat up entirely I will certainly be continuing to cut down the amount of meat we eat and would be interested to read the article. :)

BDA website appears to be down, try again tomorrow! While I would love to try and persuade you to give up animal products altogether, that's not what the link is about this time. ;)
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning, I was going to post too but as I read on red squirrel had got there already. Nope you don't have to sit and listen. Once business was concluded as soon as you saw which way the conversation was heading you could have said "is that the time ? sorry got to dash" if you don't want to make it a confrontation. You see how these kind of conversations can have a lasting effect on your mood.

Your mother must be a very unhappy person to constantly try to belittle you and your choices and efforts and life. Such bullying behaviour is not attractive but we can feel pity for her whilst not allowing her to keep dragging you down. You try to be positive for your son, think about the effect that has on him compared to your mental state after the years of frankly fairly abusive upbringing you have had. You are doing well Alex, even on your bad days it would appear you are 100 times a better parent than the example you have had throughout your life so well done turning it around. Remember to give yourself the credit for that.

Daisy xxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure