Three roaming help

Options
mutley74
mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 11 June 2017 at 2:00PM in Mobiles
I am a Three contract customer using a Three handset (which is now out of my original Three contract - Z compact).

Last year I was visiting Germany and could not make any calls or texts to the UK, but could use my data. I used online chat with CS and they said I had blocks across my account (despite asking them to remove them before I travelled), which they removed. But phone still did not work (except for data), even tried changing numbers in address to +44 and +0044 (what Three CS told me to do).

Last week I was travelling to Europe and South America - again my phone would not allow me to send texts/make calls to the UK. But my data would work. I checked my Three account online and international roaming was enabled. In fact I had been charged a few pounds for accepting an overseas call!
I did manage to send one text to the UK starting with 07xxxx.

I checked all my phone settings, network operator connections and no faults found. I got some advice from Three CS on twitter but again nothing seems to get phone to make a call or text within my Feel at Home allowance.
Any advice most appreciated as I need to travel again soon and fed up why my roaming for calls/texts don't work.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To call or text a UK number, drop the initial zero and add the prefix +44.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    I don't know about your particular phone, but it's worth trying a test call while here in the UK to a UK number using 0044 7xxxx (drop the leading zero from 07 or 01). You mentioned 00044, it's only two zeros with no "+" in front.

My iPhone has a dial assist feature that automatically changes home country numbers in the directory when you call from overseas.

We visit Spain several times a year and use Three with "Advanced" contract SIMs and have no issues with calls or texts.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have any number that I may call or text from abroad set up as +44 etc by default as this works without any problems in the UK.

You may have been able to send one text message from abroad if it was in reply to a message or call in your log that had been received out there because the +44 would be included in the incoming message by default.

I'm on Three and have no problems messaging back to the UK from abroad.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I was in South America last week and managed to text a number listed as 077xxx in my contacts. But it would not let be call home to a 01xxxx number or any test calls and texts I tried. I tried everything I can do in my settings as its the 2nd time this has happened.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can you call your home number by dialling 00441xxx? I've just tried it (on Three) and it works.

I suspect the issue is the prefix/number dialled rather than Three. Is there an equivalent setting to the iPhone "dial assist"?
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I call the UK from the US on my Thre's Feel at Home service I use the numbers already in my phone, that is I don't add or change the leading digits. It works. Naively I never thought to do otherwise, forgot about int dialling protocols!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    Well I was in South America last week and managed to text a number listed as 077xxx in my contacts. But it would not let be call home to a 01xxxx number or any test calls and texts I tried. I tried everything I can do in my settings as its the 2nd time this has happened.
    The successful text that you sent was no doubt directly in reply to one that you had received, so the format was already correct, with the +44 prefix and no zero. You may only notice your contact's name, but any text message arrives in that format, wherever you are. Unless your phone has a feature such as iPhone's 'call assist' to add the inyernational prefix automatically, your call or text won't succeed by using the UK domestic format.

It will also work in the form of 0044, if you happen to be in a country that uses the 00 prefix for international calling. Many don't, such as USA/Canada, Singapore, Thailand, where you can use either their own particular prefix or +44 (for UK).

If you store all your numbers in the form +(country code) you can't go wrong, it will work wherever you are and whatever network you are using or roaming on, including in the UK. The initial zero of a number is dropped when using the country code, except in rare exceptions such as Italian landline numbers.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    To call or text a UK number, drop the initial zero and add the prefix +44.

Actually, you drop the initial zero, then add 0044.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Neil49 wrote: »
    I have any number that I may call or text from abroad set up as +44 etc by default as this works without any problems in the UK.

How would having land-line numbers set as 0044 prefix affect a contract, that gives you free calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers?
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 June 2017 at 8:12PM
    Options
    it does not charge extra

It just ignores the INT code in UK

I have all my UK numbers +44 on my phone

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories