PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Options

Comments

• shell88
    shell88 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Viewed a house the other day after waiting months for something decent to come on right move, we made an offer and were told half an hour later that it had been rejected as someone had offered nearly 10k over the asking price!!! It's going to be a long and painful journey to get our first house!
  • amateur_house
    Options
    Sounds promising :)

I hope you like it as much after the second viewing.
  • Lovem
    Lovem Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I hope this is ok to ask here! My property is on the market we have done everything from top to bottom and inside out. I am just getting worried as next doors garden is very overgrown front and back. Would this turn any of you off? They have the house for 10 years and 0 interest in it so it does not look the best
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Lovem wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I hope this is ok to ask here! My property is on the market we have done everything from top to bottom and inside out. I am just getting worried as next doors garden is very overgrown front and back. Would this turn any of you off? They have the house for 10 years and 0 interest in it so it does not look the best

I recently viewed a house and the next door was very neglected, the fence, building, roof....put me off and i told the agent. The vendor then put a new fence up to block off the view to neighbours yard...bless. I am sure they had numerous comments which led them to go to that much effort. That house sold after 3 months.

If it is just a bit of overgrown grass I think that's ok. If it was neglect to the building, then i would worry if there was damp etc effecting your house. I am a worrier tho!

Goodluck
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    shell88 wrote: »
    Viewed a house the other day after waiting months for something decent to come on right move, we made an offer and were told half an hour later that it had been rejected as someone had offered nearly 10k over the asking price!!! It's going to be a long and painful journey to get our first house!

Madness..you wonder what some people are thinking. Money to burn!
  • Lovem
    Lovem Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    pollyannaL wrote: »
    I recently viewed a house and the next door was very neglected, the fence, building, roof....put me off and i told the agent. The vendor then put a new fence up to block off the view to neighbours yard...bless. I am sure they had numerous comments which led them to go to that much effort. That house sold after 3 months.

If it is just a bit of overgrown grass I think that's ok. If it was neglect to the building, then i would worry if there was damp etc effecting your house. I am a worrier tho!

Goodluck

Thank you so much! You have put my mind at ease. The house is perfect and fences. It is just the gardens that are like a jungle no rubbish or things like that just a lot of brambles and grass. You can only see it from the top floor and second floor of my townhouse. Like you I am a worrier!
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    pollyannaL wrote: »
    Madness..you wonder what some people are thinking. Money to burn!

Agents just love giddy, gullible mug buyers like this.

Has anyone else noticed when talking with estate agents, especially at a viewing, as soon as you let them know that you've done a little bit of homework about the property or the local market in general, their whole demeanour and attitude changes.... they instantly go from being friendly and charming [STRIKE] smarmy [/STRIKE] , to being bristly, defensive and almost offended that you've dared to do your research and you're not just going to rock up, be ''super excited'' about the property and hand over the full asking price on the spot.:D
  • satchef1
    satchef1 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Well... I've found the house. About 3 months too early though; I haven't got the funds in place yet.

I went to view a house on a new build development, told the sales advisor I'm not ready to buy yet and won't be until August/September. Gave her a rough idea of my budget. Got shown round the house I wanted to see. Afterward, she suggested I view the next house up in the range; they have one completed and fully kitted out as a "Viewhome". It's great. But I pointed out it was way over budget. I got an "Is it?" and a wink, followed by "If you are able to buy sooner, say in the next few weeks, then it would be worth putting an offer in".

I can see why this plot hasn't been popular. The garden is the smallest of the surrounding plots. The house looks on to social housing on an existing street, away from the main development (its neighbours all look on to countryside). Neither of these points bother me; the garden is fine and I know the street it's on quite well. It's quiet. The vast majority of people there own the houses and are in their 50's and 60's. The things that I assume have put others off are something of a non-issue for me.

I'm currently trying to get the extra cash together to put in that offer. If it looks like it'll happen, I'll book a second viewing.
  • jlaw4
    jlaw4 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shell88 wrote: »

I was in exactly the same position a month ago! We put in a number of offers on houses that suited us but all went insanely over asking price and we weren't prepared to go that far! One went as far as £20K over asking despite a house on the same street being £45K cheaper, utter madness. As it turns out a house at the top of our budget back in jan had been reduced by £15K and was relisted... literally around the corner from the over £20k one... we offered and got it! I guess what im trying to say is the pain is awful and disappointment at thinking you are being fair (we offered 6 & 9K over asking and still wasn't enough) but when the right one comes along and it WILL! you will laugh at the mugs thinking they will ever get a profit on a house they paid so much for!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    House prices have been slowly dropping in Leigh-on-Sea where I'm looking. One sale fell through and the house is back on (which we have viewed, love, and would buy), and another I have always loved the look of has just had £25k knocked off. I am desperate to see it, but without a buyer I know this is one I need to avoid viewing. I reckon it'll go soon now and I expect we'll lose it - but if it's meant to be, it'll be!

There's also another that we initially really wanted, the location is better and there's more scope to add value in the long term, but I'm not sure if/when we'd have the money for that and I think it'll feel small after a while.

So hard :( If we had a buyer, it'd be working out perfectly lol. Chains are sooooo hard to form aren't they!

The only positive are that there are three we would consider, so when/if we do get a buyer, we might hopefully be able to get one of them!

Good luck all!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills