Debt free me!

Options
Hello diary,
I have been reading lots of diaries tonight and thought I would give it a try. I have not planned this very well and don't have exact figures to hand but...

Our debts, are:
Mortgage £85000 (due a statement in January I think. £799 a month fixed rate for another 12 years)
Loan £10000 (car, credit cards paid off, ends sept 2018. £500 a month)
Overdraft £3300

Our debt was mainly due to me becoming disabled in 2014 and no longer being able to work conventionally, however, as part of my therapy, I paint - I have not sold a painting yet but my work is currently shown in a local gallery and also on artfinder.
My husband has recently lowered his hours at work so he can care for me more and is planning on retiring in 16 months (he is a paramedic with recurring back problems) so money is even tighter so I have spent the last few days searching mse for tips to help us financially.

We have contacted the tax man and sorted out my hubby getting part of my allowance so we are due to get back £400ish from them for the last two years.
I have also checked my tesco club card (£5.50) and nectar cards (£10.87)to see what we have in them ( which will help towards Xmas food).

We have swapped sky for virgin basic but are thinking about just going with free view, we have a package with virgin for phone, Internet and tv, so will have to look into how much we would save without the TVs, if it's pennies we might keep our little luxury!

We have just had smart meters fitted for gas and electric so are yet to see a benefit from that.

Oh, and all Xmas gifts have been bought and wrapped so we don't have any worries there (most of the stuff was bought in the January sales.

If anyone has any ideas, hints, tips on how I can generate an income sat on my bum, I would love to know!

Xxx

Wedding payment 1000/4600 due 21/0718

Comments

• nbinblack
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, if you post a SOA someone may be able to help you identify areas that you can cut costs and save.
  • Perryface
    Options
    Hi, where do I get an soa from?

• nbinblack
    Options
    Hi Perryface, the link is http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php hopefully once complete some of the more knowledgeable ones will give some input
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Yep, get the SOA sorted and we can take a look - I promise you it's a rare one we can't find savings on!

For the TV/Internet/Phone thing, take a look at the guide on the main MSE site for finding cheap deals - PlusNet often seem to do special offers which might work. You can also if you decide to stay put just ring and haggle - you don't have to say you're looking to leave even, I always simply say it's more money than I can justify - and that I don't want to leave, but... ;)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Perryface
    Perryface Posts: 93 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2016 at 11:14AM
    Options
    Statement of affairs - I forgot to include overdraft in this as unsecured debt please include £3300 to this list oops!

Household Information[/b]
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 0
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1908
    Benefits................................ 656
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2564

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 795.7
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 125
    Electricity............................. 46 (dual fuel with see)
    Gas..................................... 40 (as above)
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 42.8
    Telephone (land line)................... 0 (inc in to package)
    Mobile phone............................ 67 (2 phones on contract with virgin £26 each for handset and 5.09/9.67 for talk time)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.86
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 49.1
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in TV package)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 250
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 50 (2 cars)
    Road tax................................ 25.54 (2 cars)
    Car Insurance........................... 55.03 (2 cars)
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 10
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 16.4 (pre-payment card and dentist)
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 17.95 (plan with vets)
    Buildings insurance..................... 17.47
    Contents insurance...................... 0 (combined with above)
    Life assurance ......................... 76.84 (mortgage protection and life policy)
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 40
    Haircuts................................ 7
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 200 (retirement cruise in sept 18)
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1944.69

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 115000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 9000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 124000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 85000....(795.7)....0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 85000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Loan...........................10000.....506.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........10000.....506.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,564
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,944.69
    Available for debt repayments........... 619.31
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 506
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 113.31

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 124,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -85,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -10,000
    Net Assets.............................. 29,000

• Perryface
    Options
    Wow, once I see my outgoing broken down like the above, I can see I could be out of the overdraft in 5 months!
    How come I don't seem to have any money then!

• Perryface
    Options
    Omg Essex your mortgage free! Wow I can't wait for that day!

• Perryface
    Options
    My December Plan.

My hubby and I have separate bank accounts hubby is 3000 in the red and I am 300. Hubby pays all the bills from his account except: Tv license, my car tax, my car ins. Holiday fund, groceries and petrol.

So... For the remainder of December.

Petrol +£30 (for Xmas visiting)
    Groceries £60 + £16 club card and nectar card (I have 14 meals in my freezer including New Years bird - we are eating at relatives for Xmas this year so free Xmas dinner!
    Mum's and Fil birthday (both 3 Jan) £40

That should be it -fingers crossed.

I get paid on 9th (£218), 17th (£220) and 23rd (£218) this month so tomorrow I will withdraw £130 to pay for everything and then not touch my account until January! By which point my overdraft will be clear and we can start looking at hubbys.

Breakdown:
    8/12 - 300 o/d
    9/12 - £82 o/d (218 paid in)
    9/12 - £212 o/d (130 out)
    17/12 - £8 credit! (220 in)
    23/12- £226 credit (218 in)
    28/12 - £201 credit (25 car ins out)
    1/1/17 - £1 credit (200 out holiday)
    6/1/17 - £217 in credit

If I can get to 6 Jan without spending money, I should be out of my overdraft. Here's hoping!

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    OK - let's take a look. Comments in red.
    Perryface wrote: »
    Statement of affairs - I forgot to include overdraft in this as unsecured debt please include £3300 to this list oops!

Household Information[/b]
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 0 Lok to boost this even in small ways - take a look at Huskyrunners thread for details of survey companies - you won;t make your fortune doing surveys but anything you can bring in will help.
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1908
    Benefits................................ 656
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2564

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 795.7
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 125 Is this over 10 months or 12? Splitting it over 12 can help you with budgeting
    Electricity............................. 46 (dual fuel with see) You can bring this down, at a guess. Read the guides for cutting power use - as a clue, we pay less than this per month and that includes the cost of all our heating!
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 42.8 Is this metered? If so it seems high, and if not, you can likely save by looking at a meter instead.
    Telephone (land line)................... 0 (inc in to package)
    Mobile phone............................ 67 (2 phones on contract with virgin £26 each for handset and 5.09/9.67 for talk time) when is the contract up? You can make savings here!
    TV Licence.............................. 12.86 Sure? Standard monthly for this is £12.12 - I know it's picky!
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 49.1 You're going to look at this already aren't you
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in TV package)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 250 You can bring this down a bit at least. Are you able to cook from scratch? Lidl & Aldi are always worth a try, as is Martin's downshift challenge on anything branded
    Clothing................................ 0 Never Nothing at all? Not even new knickers from time to time?! ;)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 50 (2 cars)
    Road tax................................ 25.54 (2 cars) Are you actually paying this by monthly DD?
    Car Insurance........................... 55.03 (2 cars) Being paid by monthly DD?
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 10 Not enough, Not even close. Sorry!
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 16.4 (pre-payment card and dentist)
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 17.95 (plan with vets)
    Buildings insurance..................... 17.47
    Contents insurance...................... 0 (combined with above)
    Life assurance ......................... 76.84 (mortgage protection and life policy)
    Other insurance......................... 0 If you're paying over 4k on a holiday you MUST put travel insurance in place immediately. If you have it packaged with a bank account then great, but with your disability just double check it definitely covers
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 40
    Haircuts................................ 7
    Entertainment........................... 0 Never? Not even the occasion cup of coffee and sticky bun when you're out?
    Holiday................................. 200 (retirement cruise in sept 18) Are you paying this off against the holiday cost on a monthly basis?
    Emergency fund.......................... 0 Tsk. Sort this - priority!
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1944.69

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 115000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 9000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 124000

Secured & HP Debts

Mortgage...................... 85000....(795.7)....0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 85000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Loan...........................10000.....506.......0
    Overdraft......................3300.....??........??
    Total unsecured debts..........13300.....506.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,564
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,944.69
    Available for debt repayments........... 619.31
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 506
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 113.31
    Do you physically have this amount left over each month?

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 124,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -85,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -10,000
    Net Assets.............................. 29,000

None so bad - there are savings you can make there for sure, some easily, and some with a bit of effort. Also even a small increase in anything you can earn via surveys etc will make a difference.

Thanks for the comments on the mortgage-freeness by the way - very chuffed indeed to have finally got there! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Perryface
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me x

Monthly income after tax................ 0 Lok to boost this even in small ways - take a look at Huskyrunners thread for details of survey companies - you won;t make your fortune doing surveys but anything you can bring in will help.

I am going to go through my house/garage/loft and see what I can sell. Still trying to sell my artwork (I live in hope!)

Council tax............................. 125 Is this over 10 months or 12? Splitting it over 12 can help you with budgeting

This is over 12 months

Electricity............................. 46 (dual fuel with sse) You can bring this down, at a guess. Read the guides for cutting power use - as a clue, we pay less than this per month and that includes the cost of all our heating!

Sse has just installed smart meters for gas and electricity, can I still swap providers without incurring a charge?

Water rates............................. 42.8 Is this metered? If so it seems high, and if not, you can likely save by looking at a meter instead.

This isn't metered so will look into this

Mobile phone............................ 67 (2 phones on contract with virgin £26 each for handset and 5.09/9.67 for talk time) when is the contract up? You can make savings here!

Contracts have another 12 months left to run

TV Licence.............................. 12.86 Sure? Standard monthly for this is £12.12 - I know it's picky!

Oops got mixed up with my car tax I think!

Satellite/Cable TV...................... 49.1 You're going to look at this already aren't you

Yep, tv, phone and Internet package.

Groceries etc. ......................... 250 You can bring this down a bit at least. Are you able to cook from scratch? Lidl & Aldi are always worth a try, as is Martin's downshift challenge on anything branded

We shop at Aldi mainly, the tesco club card and nectar cards are from ages ago.
    Clothing................................ 0 Never Nothing at all? Not even new knickers from time to time?!

We don't plan on buying any clothes for ourselves for at least 12 months (I have more knickers than I need to be fair!) there are no family weddings, work dos etc that we need to buy new for. We have plenty to see us through.

Road tax................................ 25.54 (2 cars) Are you actually paying this by monthly DD?

Yes both of us pay by dd
    Car Insurance........................... 55.03 (2 cars) Being paid by monthly DD?

Yes both dd

Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 10 Not enough, Not even close. Sorry!

My hubby's car has free servicing for the next 12 months and my car barely gets used anyway. Thinking about selling it as my disability stops me from using it too much.

Other insurance......................... 0 If you're paying over 4k on a holiday you MUST put travel insurance in place immediately. If you have it packaged with a bank account then great, but with your disability just double check it definitely covers

Will do, thanks for reminding me!

Entertainment........................... 0 Never? Not even the occasion cup of coffee and sticky bun when you're out?

I don't go out much honestly, we visit the in laws twice a week and i walk the dog when I can - that's it really. I suppose I should budget £10 a month just in case?

Holiday................................. 200 (retirement cruise in sept 18) Are you paying this off against the holiday cost on a monthly basis?

No, I am transferring it to an old savings account to be able to pay it off in April 2018 £3200 for cruise and then money for excursions. I have £400 in savings already for this.

Emergency fund.......................... 0 Tsk. Sort this - priority!

I know! Argggh

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Loan...........................10000.....506...... .0
    Overdraft......................3300.....??........ ??
    Total unsecured debts..........13300.....506.......-

I don't know how much per month we can pay off hubbys o/d as he is doing some odd overtime shifts (since dropping his hours) hopefully £200 a month with overtime dosh, but it's an unknown at.

Amount left after debt repayments....... 113.31 Do you physically have this amount left over each month?

Not as far as I can tell, but it is difficult to gauge when I get paid three times a month. But now I know I should have I can try to commit to at least £100 of it going toward the overdraft.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport