IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

WARNING Avoid Changegate Car Park, Haworth. Notorious for Clamping

Options

Comments

• taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    That would still be illegal, as it would amount to immobilization and possibly false imprisonment.

Probably, but I can see this guy doing it. Looking at this and he seems to be the kind of person who thinks he's above the law.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2012 at 11:09PM
    Options
    As this car park has been a 'monstrous carbunkle' spoiling Haworth for many visitors, we just know that the infamous Ted Evans will try something after 1st October don't we? He's not going to take the new law lying down; also he won't be able to get DVLA data either (except by paper application on a case by case basis as I understand he is the landowner so could use that route).

But registered keeper liability won't be open to him either as he's not in the AOS scheme.

And if he tries shutting the gate and trying to force payment can you imagine the Police saying it's a civil matter and not fully understanding that it would also count as immobilisation = illegal? I can imagine people posting here to say that the Police were called and told them to pay to get out...

So...shouldn't someone local start a dialogue now with the local Police station to ensure they are up to speed with the new law and ready for any shenanigans after 1st October? They would need to understand that a gate can only be shut if the car park happens to have closed for the day/night, NOT in order to immobilise a vehicle and NOT in order to force payment of any money over and above the normal P&D fee.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • LincolnshireYokel
    Options
    taffy056 wrote: »
    Probably, but I can see this guy doing it. Looking at this and he seems to be the kind of person who thinks he's above the law.

Then breaking the barrier would be an option, along the same lines as cutting a clamp off under self help. Those barriers are not hard to bend..................

If you look at streetview I dont even think it has a fence round, so i think you can just drive out in any direction you like, as long as your vehicle has a reasonably high wheelbase.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 September 2012 at 3:11AM
    Options
    It is clear in PoFA that immobilisation by means of closing a barrier would remain legal, and it says nothing about when such barrier may or may not be closed.

Of course, during car park operational hours all you need to do is to drive right up to the barrier and wait there, blocking anyone else from getting out. Unless he's going to imprison everyone (and then the Plod really would have a situation on their hands!) he's gonna have to open the barrier when someone else wants to get out.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    It is clear in PoFA that immobilisation by means of closing a barrier would remain legal, and it says nothing about when such barrier may or may not be closed.

Of course, during car park operational hours all you need to do is to drive right up to the barrier and wait there, blocking anyone else from getting out. Unless he's going to imprison everyone (and then the Plod really would have a situation on their hands!) he's gonna have to open the barrier when someone else wants to get out.

Or in????????
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • mikuro
    Options
    Just been a victim of these !!!!!!!s today. I am shocked and appalled at what I've read here. I encountered the weirdo selling the books next to the pay machine, very crafty distraction, I had no idea he was the scam master, just an annoyance while I was trying to buy my ticket. Maybe I should have bought a book, might not have clamped me, the gits. :mad:
    I actually live locally and have friends in the village, not once have I heard anything about this car park, nor did I notice any signs in the shops....kicking myself a bit now.
    Parked in a 'bay' near the corner and I never noticed anything about it that would imply it wasn't a proper space. Apparently it isn't. It is exactly the same size as all the other spaces, marked both sides with stones. I parked nice and straight. But according to those scammers, I was 'blocking' two other spaces. Those spaces were basically a pile of mud and concrete stones, made out to look like a corner feature. Not spaces. There was a faded line, kind of implying there was a space, but it was completely unnoticable unless you were looking for it. I got out on the drivers side so never noticed it. The space I parked in looked much more like a space than the other area. It's deceitful and disgusting behaviour to fleece people out of money by keeping your car park in such a poor state, deliberately confusing your customers. I feel like painting a warning to people on the wall about parking in that space.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I hope you get your money back, although suing them won't do anything.
  • herbertanchovy
    Options
    Please, all who are rightfully aggrieved, what goes around will come around. Sit tight, be peaceful and do not lower yourselves to the level of these hated people. I'm not a hippy or a dreamer, I have knowledge.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Please, all who are rightfully aggrieved, what goes around will come around. Sit tight, be peaceful and do not lower yourselves to the level of these hated people. I'm not a hippy or a dreamer, I have knowledge.

Really hope it does come around to Ted Evans. Sounds intriguing. :cool:
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Have we seen this youtube link yet on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQQkfjLj_Bk

Not long now, Ted. What goes around comes around we hope. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure