Real-life MMD:Slight damage, but free storage. Who pays?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 19 November 2013 at 1:41PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Slight damage, but free storage. Who pays?

Six months ago a kitchen unit appeared in the area between my house and my neighbour's, packaged and sealed but with nothing written on the package. My neighbours said it definitely wasn't theirs and said I could do what I liked with it, so I put it in the attic. While getting it up there, it got damaged. Yesterday, my neighbours told me it is theirs after all and they now want it back. I'm not sure what to say about the damage - should I offer to buy them a replacement? Or is that not necessary as they had previously said it wasn't theirs?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think it's theirs......

6 months? I'd have sold it by now anyway
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well you know it isn't yours, so chances are it is theirs - although how it could take anyone six months to realise this is beyond me, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Have they been having work done to the kitchen/ house?

Personally I'd remind them of the conversation had six months ago where they told you to take it and say it's been in storage in the attic since then, so you're not sure of the condition, and they can have it in the state it is in if they still want it. If they then got a bit moany about the damage and asked for a replacement I would ask to see proof of purchase.

Alternatively, I'd say it got chucked/sold ages ago. Not much they can do about it really.
  • lauh88
    lauh88 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd ask to see a receipt or invoice which shows it's theirs. Bit odd that they're asking for it 6 months later!
  • nikki299
    Options
    Seems a bit of an odd situation.I think if the unit had belonged to them they would have known at the time. How could someone not remember ordering a kitchen unit?
    It also wasn't yours so why did you put it in your attic?
    I would either give it to them in whatever condition it's in, or tell them you dumped it months ago.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Just say you dumped it months ago as they claimed it wasn't theirs
  • clairmelville
    Options
    Hmmm,
    I would be very suspicious about this. Very odd someone saying the very large and expensive item was not theirs and then changing their mind 6 months later.
    The questions I would be asking are why have they changed their mind so late, what made them say it wasn't theirs 6 months ago, and what would they have done if you had not stored it for that time (i.e. would it have lain outside and been damaged anyway, or would they have stored it themselves?).

If none of these answers satisfy you then I would assume they are trying o get a free kitchen. Fair enough if you have no use for it but they should not expect you to pay for the damage or buy a new one, and you should not offer this.
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2013 at 8:27AM
    Options
    So they had the chance to collect it from outside your houses themselves, but chose not to take that. You kindly took it inside and stored it on a best endeavours basis, keeping it safe for six months and finally it suffering some accidental damage, long after a reasonable period had expired...

I can assure you of one thing. If it had been outside in all weathers for six months, it would be in far worse condition, especially after our recent storms.

(Snip)

By all means let them collect the damaged unit, but if they want compensation, they can sod off. Plus bill them for collecting it and storing it.

Cheeky bug***s.
  • bzd
    bzd Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with others the 6 month delay is unlikely. I'd just give it to them and if they say anything about you paying for repairs/replacements you can start talking about storage costs...
  • moxxy-girl
    Options
    The neighbour said it wasn't theirs a long time ago. Therefore it is of no concern what you did with it. So no, you don't pay for any damage.
    Must admit, this to me is rather a boring non - dilemma - sorry :-(
    :) Moxxy - girl :)
  • ayayay
    ayayay Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They said it wasnt theirs and that you could do what you want with it. If it was theirs it isnt now, they gifted it to you - its yours, do with it what you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure