Protein shakes - Fad or worth it?

Options

Comments

• Just_a_Girl_2
    Options
    yessie1209 wrote: »
    Sorry is this has already been answered guys. So, will protein shakes make you bigger? I just want toned lean muscle, don't want to end up looking like a body builder!

It's just protein. Would you ask the same question of a chicken breast? ;) Excess calories and specific hypertrophy exercise will make you bigger.
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I was told that adding milk (or other stuff) to protein shakes is counter productive as it then takes longer to digest. They're supposed to be made with water for ease of digestion following a workout to target muscle recovery. They don't make your muscles any bigger, just help with recovery so less soreness the next day.

It depends on why you drink them. My first meal of the day is a protein shake, so I add double cream to it to slow down digestion, as I don't want it digested quickly.

I think it's a bit of an old wives tale that you need to have a fast digesting protein post workout due to the so called "anabolic window". As long as protein requirements are met at the end of the day, then it's no big deal.
  • aylithuk
    aylithuk Posts: 463 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I take them if I cannot get my protein from food.

I use protein only as a supplement and never as a 'meal replacement' - just silly

For example I weigh 129 (9 stone ish)

I eat 150g of protein a day

So what I ate today

Breakfast
    39g protein

- 3 eggs
    - 75g of salmon
    - 100g of Asparagus

Snack
    39g protein

- 250g Quark
    - 25g Almonds
    - 50g Raspberries

Lunch
    30g protein

- 100g Turkey mince (made into burgers)

Dinner
    35g protein

- 112g Tuna Steak

Odds to make up to 150g
    Chia Seeds
    Flax Seeds
    Spirulina
    plus all the other veg I eat during the dinner/lunch

It really is not hard but protein shakes should be seen as a convenience aka after the gym rather then another 'meal'

my 2 pennies
  • andydiysaver
    Options
    my opinion mainly is that they're overhyped B.S.

protein is essential to muscle recovery , we understand that. But the industry is enormous and it likes nothing better than to sponsor this, sponsor that, hoodwink us into believing that If we do not drink down what is usually an over fattening drink, we will stay thin , or our bodies will ache, or we will be somehow less attractive than the poster girl/boy drinking their product and selling it to us.

I've been into fitness for years, and I'm also a bodybuilder. I do appreciate the value of protein and the role it has to play, recovery is important, but if you expect to drink a drink then overtrain the next day and recover because the drink said you would then you're mistaken. protein isn't rocket science. it's found in meat/animals and the only entities wanting to make it rocket science are the companies pushing the next megamuscle which usually is a product promising spectacular results for little/no hard work of your own. it's the opium this fat nation needs, so the consumer is all too willing to buy up these over priced over margined products, in hope that somehow they'll take out the hard work somewhere along the line.

whereas in reality it is a LOT simpler - let me tell you the message these companies do not what you to hear. Train hard, eat healthy. if you want to pack it on, lift weights split routine and eat lots of meat, if you want to lose weight, run, do cardio, watch the calories.

shakes don't come into it. mindset discipline hard work are what make it. diet ? yes it's important, but nothing they do cannot be reproduced on a well thought out plate of food after the workout! more than that, it's approx. 1/4 of the cost to do it that way!
  • crazymoose82
    Options
    Danjames wrote: »
    Hi there, my view is that you are far better simply eating the right food. Yes your weekly shop will increase quite a bit but then the shakes are expensive anyway. Plenty of Protein and veg and you will be right, substitute healthy stuff for fatty snacks and you are away. Nuts and wholemeal bread and brown rice are the way to go. I changed my diet about 2 months ago, cutting out all the crap I was eating for the above and I have lost nearly two stone. I'm packing the protein (chicken, turkey dinners and lunch and almonds and porridge for snacks) at the moment as have just finished a basic all round strengthening programme and have moved onto building muscle exercises. I don't want to look like Arnie, just started playing rugby again and looking to make sure I am in decent shape.

Spot on Dan. I would much rather put actual food into my body than manufactured powders. Chicken or Tuna tend to be my post workout protein boosts.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    rash161 wrote: »
    *yawn* This one again...

That's been proven to be wrong many times

Has it, link please?
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • adouglasmhor
    Photogenic
    Options
    Well what are they all lets see?
    Danjames wrote: »
    Don't wish to drag this out Carl or make it tit for tat but can't help respond to this. Google whey protein shakes, click on any one you want and look at the ingredients. It isn't just Whey in there. I haven't got time to google all the ingredients which is why I don't bother with them:

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Hydrolysed Whey Protein, Whey Protein Isolate)milk protiens,Dextrose, Maltodextrinsugar from grains, Flavourings, Emulsifiers (Acacia Gumfrom beans, Soya Lecithin)from beans, Triacetinsynthetic fatty acid - not nice TBH, Starch,it's a carb Sweetener(Sucralose)chlorinated sugar product very stable and indigestible by us and bacteria, Cinnamon Powder, Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide)near enough coloidal sand, Coconut Oila veg oil high in sat fat, Sucrosesugar, Lactoperoxidase, Colour (Beta Carotene)the colour of tomatoes and carrots, Vitamin C (as Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin E (as dl-Alpha Tocopherol).Suitable for Vegetarians

Now all will possibly be safe and tested rigourously but whose to say what the long term effects of any one ingredient are? Not sure little miss muffet imbibed everything on that list from one powder advertised simply as whey protein powder form Holland and Barrat!

Triacetin is safe in low doses and is the only thing I am not comfortable with on that list.

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • adouglasmhor
    Photogenic
    Options
    I take hemp protein powder, just looked at the ingredients, it says 100 per cent hemp protein. That's it.

How much is it a ¼ ;)

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    That's really going to up your Mercury intake eating tuna so regularly..

aylithuk wrote: »

- 112g Tuna Steak
  • Fridge03
    Fridge03 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So much utter nonsense in this thread...protein shakes causing heart attacks....yeah....

Let me start by saying there is no substitute for actual food.

A protein shake is a supplement, the name is a clue. It supplements your diet, adds to it, enhances it.
    Think of it this way, you wouldn't build a house on weak foundations.

Shakes can be used in a variety of ways, but the common misconception (normally from young lads who are trying to "bulk up") is that if they take a shake after a workout, they'll become the next Ronnie Coleman.

To seriously put on lean muscle mass, you'll be looking to take on 1.4-2.4g or protein per kg of body weight per day. For me, this works out about 200g+ per day.
    Now consider that in an average chicken breast you are looking at about 21g of protein. That would mean I'm eating 10 chicken breasts a day. Obviously, completely unrealistic.
    This is where a good protein shake comes in. Depending on their quality (and they do vary massively) you can have anywhere from 20g to 30g+ per scoop per shake.
    I tend to take a pre-workout shake with a few extra calories in it and a bit of a kick before training, a recovery shake after training, an additional shake as part of a lunch meal and then a shake before bed. Meaning that on a training day, just from shakes I am getting between 80-100g of protein, the rest comes from my diet.

You can also use different type's of protein for different times of the day. Whey protein (which is your "standard" really) is fast absorbing, which make's it good for post workout.
    Casein protein is much slower absorbing making it great as a tasty treat before bed, which helps to prevent the body from going into catabolism and breaking down muscle.

In summary, protein shakes are fantastic supplements when used correctly. They aren't replacements for a good balanced diet, which is key for any sportsperson (or anyone really).
    Unfortunately, they do have a stigma attached to them because of people not knowing how to use them or they are grossly misinformed.
    They can be expensive, especially the bigger brands. However, they don't tend to be the best all the time (for example stay away from Maxi Muscle).
    However, when you compare them to buying good quality protein rich food, then actually they work out not bad at all price wise.

I hope this helps people.

I am not a nutritionist or expert. Just a rugby player, who has years of gym experience. All the information is a google search away.
  • Sylpheris
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Just to reiterate that this really isn't the case. I rarely pay more than £50 for 5k of protein. This makes 200 shakes - so around 25p each.

Each shake delivers 20.something grams of protein.

Compare that to other sources of the same amount of protein: half a tin of tuna (50p?), a chicken breast (£2?) or 100g of almonds (£1.20?)

...the shakes are really relatively inexpensive.

Then consider that a 200lb man (say, a rugby player) looking to bulk up may want to consume 140-160g per day (or more), you multiply all those numbers by 7 or 8 and using shakes rather than chicken breasts would save you £14/day.

To say nothing of the fact that eating that amount of protein-heavy food in a day can become...tiresome...necking a couple of shakes per day and eating normally is much more sustainable.

Just read this. That's brilliant! Where do you get your shakes again? I'm not sure I ever found cheap ones like that (but I never really looked too hard into it to be honest)!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure