IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Most motorists beat the cowboys to win parking ticket appeals

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Allan. wrote: »
    Hi all...

I've just recieved a PCN from Smart Parking LTD for overstaying my welcome in an ASDA carpark - can I claim back VAT on a Parking Charge Notice (IF I pay it that is...?)

Also as I can't see any VAT details on their website I guess my question really should be are these parking charge companies VAT registered - and if not WHY not?

Thanks guys!

Allan

Why on earth would anyone pay?

Here's the forum, this thread is not the place to post about an individual case. The forum is (but it's been asked before):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

As I said, VAT has been discussed before, lots of times:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=59338555

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4421639

and VCS fell foul of HMRC over it:

clicky HMRC -v- VCS
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • atilla
    atilla Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Allan. wrote: »
    Hi all...

I've just recieved a PCN from Smart Parking LTD for overstaying my welcome in an ASDA carpark - can I claim back VAT on a Parking Charge Notice (IF I pay it that is...?)

Also as I can't see any VAT details on their website I guess my question really should be are these parking charge companies VAT registered - and if not WHY not?

Thanks guys!

Allan
    It is incumbent upon you to do the Honourable thing and report them to HMRC for VAT fraud.
    They are VAT registered and all invoices should be VAT compliant.
    See HMRC Notice 700 VAT Guide Section 16.2
    “Whenever you supply standard-rated or reduced-rated goods or services to another registered person, you must give that person a VAT invoice.
    A VAT invoice is a document containing certain information about what you are supplying. Paragraph 16.3 sets out the information you need to show. Your customers need VAT invoices to reclaim, as input tax, the VAT you have charged them.”

And to help you to be a good citizen, here's the HMRC reporting link
    http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/contactus/view.page?record=k9zpyaj9_go
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    This is when the governement can get their own back for being lied to by the BPA and make the PPCs pay a nominal fee of £50 to the person they were trying to scam if POPLA finds in their flavour.
  • Jeremiah_Pariah
    Jeremiah_Pariah Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2013 at 12:24PM
    Options
    Last June I received a parking charge from one of these parking companies G24 after my wife parked outside B AND M for too long.

Their letters were surprisingly in context, aggressive, and full of legal inaccuracies.

I was doing a job in Australia at the time and as such had the entrance and exit visa stamps in my passport.

So I told them I was not the driver and sent them scanned copies of the relevant pages of my passport.

Their next letter demanded that I name the driver or pay up.

I told them to just disappear and their letters stopped.

However, I don't think I can do that any more.

These parking nazis must have a powerful lobby with government as they have managed to get a whole schedule of the Protection of Freedoms act of 2012 to themselves. (What a title!! Protection of whose freedoms??)

I have no idea whatsoever how this particular cabal of companies has managed to get their own schedule inserted into an act of parliament, the rest of which, has nothing whatsoever to do with parking on private land.

legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/9/schedule/4/enacted

(Even though this site prevents me from pasting a url into a post most browsers will add the necessary code if you just paste the above into your address line. Otherwise you will have to put your own aitch tee tee pee colon backslash backslash double u double u dot at the beginning of each address line posted here)

Schedule 4 of the act says that the parking charge is now directed at the KEEPER of the vehicle and no longer the DRIVER. Whereas the argument I put forward in my letters was, that you can't just wave an invoice in the general direction of a group of people, any of whom might be liable and say,
    " One of you has to pay this."
    The invoice must be directed at the person with whom you have the contract.

If you don't know who that is, it is not my place to inform you.

By far the most nasty and aggressive of these companies is CPS. Combined Parking Solutions.

Their shared acronym with the Crown Prosecution Service I am sure is no accident.

Their website is designed to take all the fight out of the motorist.

Again it is full of legal inaccuracies. But it makes a very big deal out of schedule 4 of this new act.

It names and shames motorists and even reproduces copies of court papers with the motorists name on and how much money they lost by daring to go to court.

See

combinedparkingsolutions.com/legal-issues/#court-orders

See also

combinedparkingsolutions.com/downloads/dorringtonjudgement.pdf

and here:-

combinedparkingsolutions.com/downloads/wilsonjudgement.pdf

and here:-

combinedparkingsolutions.com/downloads/gaparajudgement.pdf

It refers to the motorist who has lost the civil case as a 'defendant'. As if he was in court for a criminal offence rather than a respondent in a civil dispute.

These nazis have leapt with hooting delight on this new schedule of the act.
    It is manna from heaven to them, as the onus used to be on them to prove that the keeper was driving. Now they only need to pay their three quid and the DVLA tells them everything that they need to know.

I complained about this site to the website host and ICANN registrar. Also to the citizens advice bureau. Non of whom are willing to take any action, and have said so.

That this shower of bullies in woolly pullies can influence the government to such an extent that they get their very own laws beggars belief.

I think natural justice and public outrage will have this schedule repealed.
  • Yogibear
    Options
    it`s not just parking on private ground you should appeal,if you park anywhere on the public highway and you get a ticket always have a good look where you are parked the signs and lines must be chrystal clear a lot of road surfaces have been patched with tarmac obliterating the lines,vandals pull signs off poles check all the time if it`s dark go back in the morning with your camera,believe me I used to work with the Traffic Warden section of the Police,before the Parking Attendants moved in,the same rules apply and I have said to many a person write in its only the price of a stamp if lines & signs are not clear they will be cancelled:D
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • GentleGiant_2
    Options
    Why do people bother appealing?

Surely it is better just to ignore these 'invoices'
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 23 February 2013 at 1:47PM
    Options
    Last June I received a parking charge from one of these parking companies G24...I told them to just disappear and their letters stopped.

However, I don't think I can do that any more.

These parking nazis must have a powerful lobby with government as they have managed to get a whole schedule of the Protection of Freedoms act of 2012 to themselves. (What a title!! Protection of whose freedoms??)

Of course you can. Nothing much has changed at all and has been discussed so many squillions of times for over a YEAR that I posted this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4360185

The POFA just says that the PPC can 'pursue' the rk if they don't know who the driver is. So that means two people can ignore the scam, not just the driver. This is nothing, it DOES NOT suddenly make an unenforceable piece of paper enforceable.

As for CPS, they call their kickback to landowners a 'bounty' (cowboy word if ever there was one) which will be interesting for someone to show POPLA one day...or a judge...
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options

What about it ? It's a lot of guff from Michael Perkins, who we believe is trying to enforce a default judgement onto a house, this person (motorist) has been declared bankrupt twice. There is no way the house will be sold for this alone
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Coupon-mad
    Options

So?

What about this thread then:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4277699

Makes a lot more sense! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure