Hubby leaving, What should i pay for???

Options
13»

Comments

• benb76
    benb76 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    fannyanna wrote: »
    I agree with this sentiment 100% but in this case this man isn't going to continue being a stay at home parent by the sound of things so the above situation wouldn't be applicable.

True, but he will still be entitled to some sort of maintenance. Don't get me wrong, this guy sounds like a muppet and doesn't deserve anything, however, divorce laws can seem very unfair to the bread winner in a marriage, no matter how useless his/her spouse has been over the course of the marriage.

For an example of a seemingly unfair and rediculous scenario, google 'John Cleese divorce settlement'.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    benb76 wrote: »
    True, but he will still be entitled to some sort of maintenance. Don't get me wrong, this guy sounds like a muppet and doesn't deserve anything, however, divorce laws can seem very unfair to the bread winner in a marriage, no matter how useless his/her spouse has been over the course of the marriage.

For an example of a seemingly unfair and rediculous scenario, google 'John Cleese divorce settlement'.

Except in the cases of the very rich, spousal maintenance is very rare these days and is totally unlikely when the working spouse is on part time hours and tax credits. If it were possible, it would be deducted from the means tested benefits he'll have to claim anyway.
  • fannyanna
    fannyanna Posts: 2,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think whether they're male or female - in this situation spusal maintenance wouldn't apply.

Whilst OP may have been the breadwinner this isn't a case for spousal maintenance. As Dunroamin said it's normally reserved for the partners of those that are rather well off.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your husband is a sponger! There is no reason why he can't now find himself a job. With all the hours he won't be spending looking after his children he should be able to find one fairly easily.

Although you still love him, you probably don't like the person he has become. You have clearly got the ambition to get up and do things - look how well you have done. Things can only get better for you now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did i get it right? He wants to leave you but he expects you to pay halves in his playstation?

Tell him to buy his own!
  • STOCKWIRE
    Options
    fannyanna wrote: »
    I think whether they're male or female - in this situation spusal maintenance wouldn't apply.

Whilst OP may have been the breadwinner this isn't a case for spousal maintenance. As Dunroamin said it's normally reserved for the partners of those that are rather well off.

The op is hardly the "Breadwinner" as she only works 16 hours per week. But there we go, that's all two adults are permitted to work between them ~ if they want two cars, 42 " TVs , play stations and the like !.
  • Starrystarrynight
    Options
    I'm still astounded at this guy's cheek! I'd love to be the one to tell him to get knotted! Glad you decided to keep your pennies for yourself and your kids, OP.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    op has he moved out ? if not dont let him sponge off you tell him you need half the bills paying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure