Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Would you demand a refund?

Options
If the Red Cross charged your bank £1.00 without your consent, claiming you 'must' have clicked a box when buying something to consent this, and you know you haven't since you never donate money?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you ever bought anything on line ? There's often a tick box for a £1 charity donation box
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even if it was a mistake i wouldn't ask for a refund.
    The Red Cross is a decent charity and few of us would be destitute for £1.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • quinndelfre
    quinndelfre Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I only buy from Amazon online and I make sure there's no charity box ticked. This money was stolen from me, and the saying, it's for charity, it's just a pound, makes me look like a cheapskate asking for it back.
  • skintpaul
    skintpaul Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did they say what it was for?

best to always check your boxes!
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
  • quinndelfre
    Options
    I made a complaint to my bank and they said they'll look into it. British Red Cross also said they'd look into it, but nobody is able to tell me what box I allegedly ticked. It's been over a month and they're still 'investigating' or perhaps hoping I'd just quietly disappear and forget about this.

I can head down to my bank to complain again, but I'd look like an idiot when faced with the politically correct remarks, it's for a good cause, can you really not afford a pound and all that crap.

It's like when I go shopping and a cashier ask me for £0.10 or sometimes £0.02 in front of an entire queue, and I need to find a politically correct excuse to say no without looking like a moron.
  • nicholaswitchell
    Options
    If the Red Cross charged your bank £1.00 without your consent, claiming you 'must' have clicked a box when buying something to consent this, and you know you haven't since you never donate money?

Firstly, I wouldn't DEMAND a refund, I'd request one - there are ways and means of going about things.

Secondly, charity begins at home - are you really suggesting you never help anyone, ever?

Would you accept help if you were in need?
  • nicholaswitchell
    Options
    I only buy from Amazon online and I make sure there's no charity box ticked. This money was stolen from me, and the saying, it's for charity, it's just a pound, makes me look like a cheapskate asking for it back.

Quite frankly I can't believe you've logged onto your computer, come online, registered on the forum, and posted about this... all for the sake of a quid.

I honestly wish I only had things as non-important as this to worry about.
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quite frankly I can't believe you've logged onto your computer, come online, registered on the forum, and posted about this... all for the sake of a quid.

I honestly wish I only had things as non-important as this to worry about.

To be fair, I think the OP has a point and is right to check it. On this occasion it was "just" £1 but I can see it might be worrying to think that money can be taken from your account when you are not expecting it.

I am all in favour of charities and understand that they have to raise money but sometimes I don't agree with their methods. I now find myself avoiding certain shops, e.g. it is WH Smiths at the moment, because I am accosted outside by a certain charity's workers who have an answer to every reason why I don't want to donate and who really put me off going past them and into the shop. I thought they were not allowed to stand within so many feet of a shop but not so in this case. My husband donates to many charities and we constantly get calls asking him to up his monthly contributions which he actually does.

So, charity or not charity, you need to keep in control of your finances.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Identity theft?
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My new credit card company rang me up soon after I had started with them and asked whether I had authorised a payment to a charity, since this was a way that criminals who had obtained card details checked whether the card was valid and 'worked'...

A vague possibility?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport