Bath bomb, Bath melt & Soap recipes (merged)

Options

Comments

• ladydragon_2
    Options
    Hi there...

I have my own business manufacturing natural bath and body products and unfortunately, it is neither easy or inexpensive to start up... Although it is a very rewarding craft if you are a bit of an alchemist in disguise...

You absolutely need to have your products (each and every one) certified by an independent toxicologist or cosmetic chemist for safety and also have insurance... You must abide by the 2004 (plus 2008 ammendments) EU Directive for cosmetics... Anything that cleanses or perfumes or enhances the skin in any way (ie moisturiser) is classed as a cosmetic... You need to register with BERR for soapmaking on the premises and trading standards as labelling requirements are very stringent...

I don't mean to put you off as people can and do make their own products and have successful businesses doing so - and it is really good fun too if you are naturally crafty... But, it is an expensive process starting off in both obtaining certification and 'wasting' materials in perfecting products to sale point... You'll never be short of soap etc though...

The rules are very complex and strict - product information files need to be kept for ingredient traceability and they must be available for inspection at short notice... You can't be insured without certification and unfortunately, in today's litigous society it is financial suicide to sell uncertified products if one of your customers has a resulting rash etc and decides to take you to court for compensation...

It can be done though and if you wish to pursue it I wish you luck and would be happy to offer what advice I can...

I hope this helps... I'm not sure if it is allowed to post links as I'm a newbie on this forum - but there is a UK/EU forum specifically for candle and soap makers (called Candles Soaps n' Scents) as the regs within the UK/EU are very different to the US where the 'older' forums are based...

Warm regards, LD x
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi uptomyeyes1984, I've merged your thread to a similar one that was already running, so that it might be able to help you out ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • fallen_angel_shelley
    Options
    Hi. I would like to start making my own bath bombs as gifts, I was wondering if someone could give me a list of the basics that I would need to get started, how much roughly it will cost to start doing and are the kits worth buying, if so who do the best ones.

Thanks in advance for any replys

Shelley x
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. :T May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Shelley,

The most basic stuff you will need is sodium bicarbonate and citric acid (have a look at the ingredients on the lush website - this is the youki-hi list). You will also find that moulds are handy things to have :D

Mix these together (a ratio of 2 or 3 parts sodium bicarb to 1 part citric acid seems to work best) and then add in whichever other ingredients* you want.

* You can add colours, perfumes, dried flowers, glitter, milk powders, oils, butters, etc.

HTH :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know you can buy kits from the internet/eBay but I wondered if I can get what a I need locally as I can't wait for deliveries etc.

I know where to get food colouring and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) but where can i get the following?

citric acid
    Essential oil
    cornstarch
    Moulds

Please help, I would love to get practising these today so i can create a lovely valentines gift.

Thank u
  • chazbee
    chazbee Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Citric acid - I *think*you used to be able to buy at chemists
    Cornstarch = cornflour, so local supermarket
    Essential oils - the body shop do some small quantities, as do holland & barret
    Moulds - use anything round the house - I've used old (clean!) yoghurt pots, etc

hope that helps

Edit - re moulds, silicone muffin trays make good moulds, and I think there are plenty of heart shaped ones around at the moment :-)
  • blue_ashleigh
    Options
    I've just made my first lot of bath melts - I wasn't expecting them to be so good! That's Mother's day sorted!

Blob of cocoa butter, teaspoon of almond oil, drop of liquid gelatin (can add oils for a certain smell like lavendar but I think the cocoa butter smells quite nice anyway).
    Melt it all down in a pan (very gently heat don't let it boil), pour into ice cube tray ( I have a pretty heart one) leave for at least two hours in fridge or at room temperature. Store in a container away from direct heat and voila.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    so i'm probably being a bit thick here :o but are bath salts just salt with other stuff in it ??? does it just get bunged in a jar and bobs your uncle ??
  • laura2481
    laura2481 Posts: 4,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    so i'm probably being a bit thick here :o but are bath salts just salt with other stuff in it ??? does it just get bunged in a jar and bobs your uncle ??
    Basically, yes :D i guess you can keep it as simple as you like or make it quite complicated.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Bath-Salts
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry me again where can i get epsom salts from i've never heard of them !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure