Stolen debit card used with pin

Options
The other day my card was stolen and as soon as I realised this it was reported, unfortunately there had been a number of transactions made by chip and pin (guessing I've been snooped on and pickpocketed). My limit of 300 and been used and after this the card has been used in the branch for 900 they have then traveled to another branch and drawn out 1200 both over the counter! this was all before I reported the card missing.
I have also reported this to the police were do in now stand and and what are the chances of me being reimbursed?

Comments

• Adam9193
    Adam9193 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I'd also received a number of text's of the bank whilst transactions were being made asking me to confirm the transactions were made by me, by the time I woke up and read this in reported the card lost and stolen. So the bank had some idea something was going on yet still gave them money over the counter?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Adam9193 wrote: »
    . So the bank had some idea something was going on yet still gave them money
    If the thieves knew your PIN, I'd say your chances of a refund are severely limited.

The bank will have been alerted by unusual activity on the account (hence the texts), but that does not make them liable for your losses.

You realise this is the PPI board?
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If the thieves knew your PIN, I'd say your chances of a refund are severely limited.

The bank has to prove that OP has been negligent.

If OP is a night worker for example then it is perfectly believable that they would have been asleep during the day. It's also the case if it's a day off for the OP (when I'm rarely awake before about midday)

The bank will have CCTV footage of the person withdrawing the money. They will be able to match it up with the ID that OP provided when they opened the account. This should clear the OP.

116/1 and 116/2 may be useful for the OP in the link (click here)

Best of luck with getting it sorted out OP.
    💙💛 💔
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    The bank has to prove that OP has been negligent.
    As I said, if the thieves knew the OP's PIN, he'll struggle to get a refund.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2017 at 2:16PM
    Options
    I'd also received a number of text's of the bank whilst transactions were being made asking me to confirm the transactions were made by me, by the time I woke up and read this in reported the card lost and stolen. So the bank had some idea something was going on yet still gave them money over the counter?

Yes, the bank will refund for fraud.

Whilst it's doubly annoying, the benefit of the fraudster going into a branch means there may well be CCTV.

Speak to the fraud dept of the bank if you haven't already and report the matter to the police (that you suspect you were watched), as distraction fraud at ATMs is sadly on the increase and there may also be CCTV footage of the same.

[As CK points out, only if the bank suspect you were negligent will they refuse while they investigate - although in this case you should then still be refunded during the interim period]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mersey wrote: »
    Yes, the bank will refund for fraud.

Even though the thieves knew the PIN number of the card?

I doubt it will be that straightforward.
  • Adam9193
    Options
    Spoke to the police regarding this and they won't investigate but they can't understand why the bank have allowed money out when they've suspected suspicious activity on my account and they believe I should be reimbursed. They have now sent a police report to the bank. Any more advise?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Any more advise?
    The opinion of one police officer is largely irrelevant.

The bank will have been alerted by unusual activity on the account (hence the texts), but that does not make them automatically liable for your losses.
  • Adam9193
    Options
    My limit was reached and even before this they were suspicious about transactions. What if this was someone who was elderly who didn't have access to mobile phone texts? And after this they've made two large transactions over the counter in two different branches shouldn't they of smelt a rat?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure