Travel credit cards

Options

Comments

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 June 2016 at 6:19PM
    Options
    I got this card for a recent holiday to Thailand following a review of your travelling abroad advice and I found it to be an easy and reliable card. It was easy enough to get and with a large enough balance for my needs. I only took out one withdrawal and was charged approximately £1 per £100 as estimated. I paid the bill when I got back. I'm not too sure what the conversion rate was but on the bill, I was refunded about £6.00 on my spend transactions.

In Thailand many cash machines (if not all) are charging you flat fee of 150-200 TBH for cash withdrawal using their cash machines. This is nothing to do with the bank or card and no way to avoid it. If you are using Creation Everyday card you should only get this flat charge, no other charge should apply.

So to minimize the impact of this charge you should withdraw cash as close as your daily limit for cash withdrawal in one go.
  • macalloa
    macalloa Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2016 at 4:19PM
    Options
    And the Clarity card, to avoit interest, pay off in full monthly I guess.
    Pay it off as soon as possible to avoid interest charged on a cash withdrawal, even though it may be minimal, depending on how much you withdrew at the ATM and how quickly you can square up.

Many users access online banking to pay off their balance as quickly as they can by transferring funds into their Clarity account to settle the amount owed.

To expand the debate, if you can fund it £500 monthly, the Norwich & Peterborough Gold Classic account has a totally fee free debit card for use abroad. It's a regular current account so you can use it for your everyday banking needs in the UK as well.

http://www.nandp.co.uk/current-account/

You can apply online and access your account via online banking.

The minimum £500 monthly can go into the account in one payment and be withdrawn or transferred the same working day - or it can be deposited anytime over the calendar month in smaller amounts.

One of its major attractions (rarely mentioned in these threads) is free SENTINEL cover which has several attractive features, not least access to emergency funds (regardless of your balance) if stranded overseas - they'll put you up in a hotel and fly you home for up to (from memory, may be suspect) £3,000 in costs.

It also covers loss of pre-registered credit cards/debit cards - and replacement of locks on property if keys are lost.

I have had one for a few years and have only good things to say about it .
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been reading through this post and cant decide on the Clarity or the Creation Card.

I was in the Supercard Pilot and have applied for the new one but registrations are taking ages to approve so I need a backup plan in case the card doesnt come by mid July. Plus they are now charging 2.99% on cash withdrawals from the ATM.

The credit cards seem the same from both with clarity offering a lower interest rate. Clarity charges you from the moment of transaction to when it is paid off... is that the same for the creation card?

Which one is better to go for as I will use supercard for spending and then the credit card for cash withdrawals. At the moment I am thinking the creation card. But I also note that the MBNA Everday Plus card has an even lower interest rate.

Looking forward to your advise.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    In Thailand many cash machines (if not all) are charging you flat fee of 150-200 TBH for cash withdrawal using their cash machines. This is nothing to do with the bank or card and no way to avoid it. If you are using Creation Everyday card you should only get this flat charge, no other charge should apply.

So to minimize the impact of this charge you should withdraw cash as close as your daily limit for cash withdrawal in one go.

Have you actually been to Thailand? Why are you giving such erroneous advice?
    There is a very simple way to avoid it, oft repeated.
  • adindas
    edited 17 June 2016 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Have you actually been to Thailand? Why are you giving such erroneous advice?

Very rude. Who do you think you are ??? This is exactly the reason I do not answer this question.

Which of my advice is erroneous ??
    There is a very simple way to avoid it, oft repeated.

I am talking about cash withdrawal using ATM.

I understand the OP has not mentioned which bank s/he was using to withdraw did not talk about particular bank ATM.
    Mind to mention how many bank ATM where you could avoid TBH 150-200 TBH ?? Are this specific bank's ATM available a lot in Thailand ??
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Walk into Thai bank with passport and credit card.

Withdraw cash fee free.
  • adindas
    edited 17 June 2016 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Walk into Thai bank with passport and credit card.

Withdraw cash fee free.

But I am talking about money withdrawal on ATM.

Also if people are just there for a short trip 1-2 days (say). Are people really bother to visit the bank for just 150TBH, not to mention to find them ??? Also what about evening, weekend, bank holidays when the banks are closed ??
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    But I am talking about money withdrawal on ATM.

Also if people are just there for a short trip 1-2 days (say). Are people really bother to visit the bank for just 150TBH, not to mention to find them ??? Also what about evening, weekend, bank holidays when the banks are closed ??

You said there was "no way to avoid the charge".

I just explained that there is a way to avoid the charge. If people have time to visit an ATM there will, quite often, be a bank attached to it.

If the bank is open you can avoid the ATM withdrawal fee.
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been reading through this post and cant decide on the Clarity or the Creation Card.

I was in the Supercard Pilot and have applied for the new one but registrations are taking ages to approve so I need a backup plan in case the card doesnt come by mid July. Plus they are now charging 2.99% on cash withdrawals from the ATM.

The credit cards seem the same from both with clarity offering a lower interest rate. Clarity charges you from the moment of transaction to when it is paid off... is that the same for the creation card?

Which one is better to go for as I will use supercard for spending and then the credit card for cash withdrawals. At the moment I am thinking the creation card. But I also note that the MBNA Everday Plus card has an even lower interest rate.

Anyone help at all?
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • adindas
    edited 17 June 2016 at 10:53PM
    Options

MBNA Everyday Plus card although lower interest of 7.4%, but it is Amexcard. It is not easy to find cash machines which allow you to use AMEX. Also the Amex exchange rate is untested on how good they are.

Halifax Clarity and Creation Everyday, though higher interest but they are Mastercard so it is more practical.

About interest it could be irrelevant if you clear it as soon as possible. For small cash withdrawal the interest of several days, a week is very small.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback