Farmers' tractors / tractor + trailer combo

Options
James_N
James_N Posts: 1,089 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Can anyone give general advice on the following questions. The scenario is several dozen tractor + trailer movements a day between two locations along a narrow country road.

1. Where a farmer has access to remote buildings across his own land, but chooses to exclusively use the narrow road instead.

2. Where (presumably) red diesel is being used

3. Where a farmer chooses to locate stock remotely from the main holding rather than near to his own dwelling and his own nearer buildings

4. Where the distance travelled is greater than 2 miles one way on each occasion.
Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    James_N wrote: »
    Can anyone give general advice on the following questions. The scenario is several dozen tractor + trailer movements a day between two locations along a narrow country road.

1. Where a farmer has access to remote buildings across his own land, but chooses to exclusively use the narrow road instead.

2. Where (presumably) red diesel is being used

3. Where a farmer chooses to locate stock remotely from the main holding rather than near to his own dwelling and his own nearer buildings

4. Where the distance travelled is greater than 2 miles one way on each occasion.

These are statements, not questions
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing the question is whether the farmer can use red diesel on the road in these situations. The answer is yes.
  • James_N
    Options
    These are statements, not questions

Thanks - when I need grammar help, I will ask for it.
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

1. Where a farmer has access to remote buildings across his own land, but chooses to exclusively use the narrow road instead. His choice how he accesses them.

2. Where (presumably) red diesel is being used Its for farming purposes.

3. Where a farmer chooses to locate stock remotely from the main holding rather than near to his own dwelling and his own nearer buildings Again it’s his choice.

4. Where the distance travelled is greater than 2 miles one way on each occasion.He can travel as far as he needs to.

You have no grievance with the farmer.
  • James_N
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    I'm guessing the question is whether the farmer can use red diesel on the road in these situations. The answer is yes.

is it legal to run tractor trailer combos with no registration details?
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    It is provided they are not used on public roads. If they are being used on public roads a registration plate is required on both tractor and trailer.
  • James_N
    Options
    You have no grievance with the farmer.
    Red diesel

The use of red diesel (also known as ‘rebated fuel’) is only permitted in certain circumstances, including:
    where a vehicle is used only for agricultural purposes and it is travelling to or from different pieces of land occupied by the same person and the pieces of land are not more than 1.5 kilometres apart;

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/agricultural-law/agricultural-vehicles/
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Are you saying the tractors aren’t registered or the trailers aren’t displaying a plate?
  • James_N
    Options
    Are you saying the tractors aren’t registered or the trailers aren’t displaying a plate?

no plates. I have no idea of registration processes for towed farm machinery, so no idea of if they can be / are registered in any way.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    no plates. I have no idea of registration processes for towed farm machinery, so no idea of if they can be / are registered in any way.

So not plate on the trailer? It’s hardly the worst offence in the world, they don’t need to be registered and you can probably read the tractor reg with a trailer on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure