The Financial Adventures of VelvetFreak

Options

Comments

• VelvetFreak
    Options
    I sold my kindle and put the money towards my debt :rotfl: because let's face it, I'm too tight to pay for books :o just realised that the library is only 900 meters from work so I really should walk there in my lunch break.

ACE, I have never read gone with the wind :eek: but I really should.
    Call me a weirdo, but my favourite author is V.C. Andrews :p and really liked her standalone book My Sweet Audrina. I like anything by John Green. Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden. To Kill A Mockingbird. I think you get the idea. I like stuff with an element of drama/craziness/weird happenings, but nothing too paranormal.

I also loveeee to re-read books. Perhaps because I don't have a great memory so I forget most of it. :think:

In other news, I got pizza for dinner and it was great.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    My Sweet Audrina and To Kill a Mockingbird, as a combination, cracks me up!

Ok. I recommend:
    Fingersmith (Sarah Waters)
    Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn) - both of these are fast paced, a bit crazy and have the plot twist thing like Audrina.
    The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
    The Rosie Project (Graeme Simsion) - I thought I would hate this, but it is brilliant and funny and if you like John Green I reckon you'll like this.

You might actually really like Gone with the Wind, it's surprisingly fast paced for a 1000 page book, but the race stuff is SO BAD. I kind of read some bits of it through my fingers so I don't know that I could recommend it with a clear conscience.

In another life I want a job where I just recommend books to people. It is my favourite thing.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Thank you so much Ace for the book recommendations.

It's Saturday morning here. I had a very quiet Friday night in. Resisted the urge to get takeaway junk and ate junk from the freezer instead. :p

Company shares should be hitting my bank account any day now. Am deadset excited about that. At next payday I should have at least $7k in the Emergency Fund :T

I spent most of last night scheming about house renovations. I desperately want to do new flooring but didn't want to do it in part of the house and leave the rest, but at the same time, I don't have the $$ for a full renovation, and even if I did save up and do it, it may not be wise to pour too much money into a 1-bed unit.

Anywho, my plan involves ripping out part of my kitchen (breakfast bar type thing), and moving the pantry to the other side of the room. :eek: And perhaps saving some of the parts that I rip out to be used in the laundry to make a sink/counter. I'm also thinking that with a bit of shuffling around, I could possibly be able to get a dishwasher installed :D. It won't be perfect or brand new, but for the cost of a couple of appliances and an electrician & plumber and a bit of physical labour, I think would be worth it (need to get an electrician in at some point anyway)

I should really post some pictures so you can see what I mean. Let me know if you're at all interested and I will post some.

What I'm getting at here is I think I will pause my EF savings for a little while and save up some money to do this. If I'm going to make this sort of change to my house, I'd rather do it sooner so that I actually get to enjoy the fruits of my labour for a good amount of time. I think it would just make me so much happier living here because I would actually be able to have a dining table and floors that are easy to clean. You get the idea ;)

Also I finally listed my fish tank for sale on FB. Yay me. :T
  • wildesavings
    Options
    Sounds great, just be careful that you don't open a can of worms when ripping out cupboards etc but it's so lovely to make a place your own - good luck with it :)
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Thanks for popping in Wilde. I do feel like I'm opening a can of worms a little bit. I keep thinking of more things that I should do such as ceiling fans and stuff like that.

Well today has been really nice. It's getting really warm here, it got up to 31 degrees but it stayed pretty cool inside the house. I always get a really weird feeling when the weather starts to warm up, I don't know how to explain it other than perhaps the anticipation of christmas and some time off work to go with it. I didn't get much done than a couple loads of washing and I did tidy/organise my linen cupboard. House is looking like a tip as I somewhat trashed it during the linen cupboard process. :o

Spent all day looking at renovation stuff and crunching numbers. Getting a bit excited but I need to save the money first so it won't happen for quite a while yet. Still haven't added it all up, not sure if I want to at this stage. :p

I was forced to be frugal tonight as I went to get into the car to go and get takeaway and it wouldn't start. Remembered I'd sat in there on Friday night talking on the phone and had the radio on for probably half an hour as I was too lazy/tired to get out. Obviously flattened the battery. :doh: so will beed to find a friend with jumper cables tomorrow, and probably get it booked in for a service on Monday (it needs it anyway) and get then to check the battery.

Ended up scavenging from the freezer for dinner again, which is certainly not a bad thing.

I need to stop being so fussy and spoiled about food. Sometimes I just don't want to eat what I have in the house, which is stupid.
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Well today was expensive. Ended up having to get a guy to come out to replace my car battery as it was completely dead :( $294 later and my car works again. Oh well, I suppose that's what the car sinking fund is for.

Then I went to the B#nnings (home improvement/hardware store) to look at flooring but ended up looking at kitchens too and now I want one :o I've decided that I will go in there one day and get them to do up some pricing for me, just for the sake of being informed I suppose.

I was looking at getting very light flooring, but then it hit me that my current kitchen is white and if I ever get a new one I would want it to be white too, so perhaps I shouldn't go for super light coloured flooring. :wall:

Too many thoughts in my head right now.

Off to pinterest I go :whistle:
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Today was quite a frugal one. I took lunch to work but unfortunately had to suffer through my colleagues talking about football for half an hour straight in the break room, so not sure it was worth it :undecided Went to the shops after work and spend the last of my grocery money on food for the cat and a pizza from the deli that tasted like cardboard. Have packed the rest for lunch tomorrow. :angry:

Today was payday so I put my usual $300 to the Emergency Fund.

Annnnnd my cashed out shares finally hit my account! $3103.38 to be precise.

I've decided that I will start a proper fund for house renovations, however I won't spend the bulk of it until my 6 month probation period is up at work. And it should be around then that I actually have enough $$ to get started.

So I put $1950.65 in the Emergency Fund to bring it to a neat $6000.

And got the Renovation Fund started with $1152.73

Am unsure if I should start on my flooring this weekend - would be a good time to start as it's a long weekend due to Queen's birthday holiday on Monday. Or perhaps I should dedicate the time to selling off some of junk (mainly fish tank stuff) to fund the flooring rather than dipping into the account to do it. The bedroom window frames also need painting before I lay new floors. Same with the linen cupboard. And I have pretty much all the materials for that already. Hmm. I need to not get too ahead of myself here :o
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Hi Kids. It's been a while. Special hello to Jessy who always gives thanks but hardly every comments :wave:

So I've made the executive decision put my Emergency Fund Savings on hold until further notice, and begin saving for renovations. I may have gotten a bit too enthusiastic and ripped up the disgusting carpet in my living room with no plan (or money) for how I am going to replace it. :eek: Woops. Also ended up ripping up a small patch of tile in front of my front door too. Somebody stop me.

Anywho, I am planning to do a new kitchen and laundry, and then new flooring throughout. (Leaving the bathroom for now as otherwise it would just be way too much).

So far I have pretty much got my kitchen planned out, but am quite undecided on flooring. I was thinking of doing some kind of vinyl plank flooring, but I think I want something that is a bit tougher. I am 90% decided on some kind of tile, but unsure if I should do wood-look plank tiles or a more traditional looking sort of tile.

Don't mind the lack of a sink and oven, the program was having a hissy fit.

I think I will do all white cabinets with no handles (will have the push-to-open hinges instead). Some kind of lightly patterned white counters, and an interesting tile for the back splash.

CX8YceT.png

Possible splashback tiles
    yW9Wa2L.png

Yesterday was payday so I suppose I should update my figures.

$300 to the Renovation Fund so new total is $1452.73

Now I need to find some kind of way to incorporate this into my signature.

It wouldn't be a post by VelvetFreak if I didn't mention that I am extremely tired. :p
    And it's only Wednesday. I hate to say it, but can't wait til Christmas so that I can have some time off.:rudolf::santa2:
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Velvet! Sorry, I've been so busy lately I just have time to read through all the diaries I'm subscribed to and not any time to comment! lol! The kitchen looks lovely! I would definitely go for a tiled floor if I were you, we went for vinyl that looks like tiles because it was cheaper but it's a nightmare to clean as it's textured so you really have to scrub at it and it scratches too! I wish we would have left it longer and saved up the extra money to have it tiled.

Won't be long until Christmas! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi - sorry to have been MIA for a while: however I'm back and looking admiringly at the kitchen layout. I have plans for a new kitchen but it won't be in 2018... hopefully the year after.

I'm going to be in a minority about flooring as I have vinyl on concrete and as well as being very scuffed, it's hard on the feet. My ideal kitchen would have a wooden floor but I'm not sure if that's allowed as it might be a fire risk.

I love white in a kitchen: so clean and light, and it shows up any accent colour beautifully should you chose to have one.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family