Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Aldi's muesli is also made by Dorset Cereals.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Edit: I went looking for it too!
    Here's the story in the Daily Mirror, confirming what many of us were fairly certain about:
    Hula Hoops in Aldi Snackrite bag
    Bought them today, n just had some, n although they were good, they deffo tasted thicker, n drier than normal hula hoops, still nice though :)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I popped into Aldi first thing this morning to take advatage of their current super-6s. I got a huge amount of fruit and veg for under £5, but OMG my bags were heavy! Its only 1/2 a mile away but I struggled carrying the weight home :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Aldi now do a 'very strong' bread flour, 1.5 kg for 75p . Their usual strong bread flour is first class. Trying out this stronger flour sometime this week

Lots of different types of Wright's 500g bread mix for 75p in the Specialbuys section, inc. parmesan and sun-dried tomato.

I noticed that the Bramwell's mayonnaise in jars is 65p as against a smaller quantity in the squeezy tubes for 75p

Aldi now do Quixo stockpots similar to the Knorr stockpots, I think they were beef and possibly chicken, 85p for 4. Their Quixo stock cubes have been repackaged, not sure if they have changed.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aldi's SS lamb Rogan Josh is fab and only 1 syn on Slimming World

I've been told it's one syn for half a pack.:)

Have you actually found it in Aldi recently? Is it frozen or chilled?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I've been told it's one syn for half a pack.:)

Have you actually found it in Aldi recently? Is it frozen or chilled?

It's one syn for the 350g pack. It's in the fresh section. Though you will be lucky if you find it on days where SW have meetings in the area.

The prawn curry in the same mixed case is 4.5 syns
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The Super 6 Fruit and Veg from today at Aldi until May 10th:
    Avocados 45p
    5 lemons 45p
    1kg white onions 45p
    Mixed chillies (75g?) 45p
    4 Garlic bulbs 45p
    Cut coriander or parsley 45p

The Wagyu meatballs are back on the meat & fish Super 6. £3.49

Next Thursday's Specialbuys are gardening trellises, pots, planters, hanging baskets, artificial grass, and general gardening furniture inc a smoker bbq and clay chimnea.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's one syn for the 350g pack. It's in the fresh section. Though you will be lucky if you find it on days where SW have meetings in the area.

The prawn curry in the same mixed case is 4.5 syns

Thanks for that. I'll take a look tomorrow. I might be lucky.:)
  • Nellie_Dean
    Options
    Aldi had boxes of Swiss milk chocolate truffles half price at 99 pence yesterday. I would recommend these - they were lovely very similar to the red Lindor truffles
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I gave Aldi's very strong flour a go - it's supposed to hold more air bubbles. I normally get really good results from their strong flour anyway. I got the same results as regards a rise and air bubbles.
    The texture was definitely closer and less crumbly though, and I could cut slices easily for the toaster, so that was a big plus.
    Unfortunately my tummy didn't quite deal with the high gluten well, although it may have been something else, I suspect the bread. I did eat a lot though, so it's my own greedy fault..
    Anyway, if you make your own bread look out for the aqua coloured bags of flour alongside the normal light green striped bags. It's 75p - great value.
    Follow the Aldi recipe on both bags too - it's a good one and the olive oil makes a big difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure