lodger and heating

Options

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't think 20 is unreasonable in the winter. I have mine on when I'm in the house pretty much - and turn it down so it goes off about an hour or so before going to bed. If i'm doing housework / cooking I'll turn it down or off because i'm moving about more and hot but if I'm static (like working) I have it on.

I do find that if i put the timer on for the heating to come on in the morning before waking up, i don't need to put it on so soon when I actually get up but our bedroom radiator whistles (another job on the list) and wakes me up so I don't usually do this.

There should be no reason why it should involve a plumber - either the pre-set temps on the thermostat need to be adjusted or the thermostat just needs turning up when the heating is on.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• ivy92
    ivy92 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2017 at 12:59AM
    Options
    Thank you!
    I don't really mind what time it's on, I just don't want to feel cold and uncomfotable at home (too much layer, only warm under layers of quilts,...)
    I think that if she sets that temperature low, it should be on more, and if it's at a temperature where it is enough to warm up the whole room, then I don't mind it is off after a while.
    And do you have an idea how much would it cost to have the heater on at 20, compared to, say 17.5?for just evening and morning?
    Thank you!
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try getting a hot water bottle to take to bed as that should help to heat you up when trying to sleep.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All the posters above are correct, apart from a few extremely tight fisted people most Brits heat their home and do not require double duvets and warm PJ's.

I was in a house like that once as a young guy working away from home. The radiator never got above warm, the windows were draughty and you could see your breath in the room. I moved out. The landlord used to moan about electricity use when a light bulb was left on, and complained I had too many baths (no shower). I'm afraid that sort of person thinks they are right and won't change. look elsewhere.
  • ivy92
    ivy92 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2017 at 2:04AM
    Options
    Thank you so much for your comment!!!
    I was really questioning myself as I'm new here and don't know what's the norm. Where I have lived before I had never worried about those things, so I just thought may be I had lived too comfortable or something! Plus the landlady said she had had many lodgers before and always this way so I was thinking asking for more is not right and either endure or move out! I know I'm a fool and a coward but I'm realy scared to mention any more to her about these issues!
    And honestly I doubt that British are always layering up even at home and staying in bed through winter! And hot water bottle(she gave me one when I complained that I'm cold) can't help when you work or study!
    Your story sounds so similar, I feel so much better now!
    I'm so glad I posted in here! I did feel a bit "disloyal" initially, and other times when I'm not shivering ot having a hard time falling asleep with cold hands and feet!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ivy92 wrote: »
    ... Plus the landlady said she had had many lodgers before ...!
    I am not surprised she has many previous lodgers, .............. they don't stay very long :rotfl:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    I am not surprised she has many previous lodgers, .............. they don't stay very long :rotfl:

Well the Inuit (Eskimo) guy stayed a while, every one else !!!!!!ed off to warm up.
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    ivy92 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your comment!!!
    I was really questioning myself as I'm new here and don't know what's the norm. Where I have lived before I had never worried about those things, so I just thought may be I had lived too comfortable or something! Plus the landlady said she had had many lodgers before and always this way so I was thinking asking for more is not right and either endure or move out! I know I'm a fool and a coward but I'm realy scared to mention any more to her about these issues!
    And honestly I doubt that British are always layering up even at home and staying in bed through winter! And hot water bottle(she gave me one when I complained that I'm cold) can't help when you work or study!
    Your story sounds so similar, I feel so much better now!
    I'm so glad I posted in here! I did feel a bit "disloyal" initially, and other times when I'm not shivering ot having a hard time falling asleep with cold hands and feet!

You need to give your notice now and find somewhere else to live. It's November, the weather WILL turn colder and if you're struggling now can you imagine how uncomfortable you will be if we get a week or so of snow on the ground or frosty nights followed by frosty days? What a miserable way to live.

My house is never allowed to get below 18C and when occupied is kept at least 21C and I don't recall the last time I didn't have hot water!

Where you are living is far from typical and there's absolutely no need of it.

Good luck - hope you find yourself a comfortable place to call home.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Move out............then she can see all the savings she makes on energy...................opps not including the rent she will now not get of course!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 November 2017 at 8:15AM
    Options
    I think the landlady is probably "pretty much spot on" for many Brits - re "the British way". In my house the heating is on for just 2 hours/day at 16C only when absolutely necessary.

We're also made to be super-aware about "wastage" of water, electricity, gas - and safety of electrical objects.

Showers are "expected" to be super short things you dash in, wash and come out again - it sounds like you use up all the pre-heated hot water, so it goes cold.

In short: In Britain fuel and water are very expensive and we've been encouraged to cut back, save the planet, etc etc and she's probably been brought up in an unheated house and takes all these Govt messages on board.

When people do waste fuel/water it can be VERY expensive for the bill payer.

She won't change, so you will probably need to find a different landlady that shares your way of doing things.

I'm typing this in an unheated house - it's a thick frost outside - but I had the heating on for 2 hours last night (to 16C) and enjoyed that luxury.

I spend my ENTIRE winter buried under a big blanket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure