PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shabby Chic; Volume III

Options

Comments

• DollyDabbler
    Options
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think our tip is a bit like that too - but the lady was grabbing folks before they tip the stuff I think.
    Ours want you in and out as quicky as you can,. The staff there are at your car and helping you to move stuff. You would have to spend time over a fair few trips to get to where they were comfortable with you approaching people. Some counties rescue stuff and put it on display to be taken, now that is a good idea as if no one takes it, it has had at least a chance of not ending up in landfill.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Do any of you have any advice or experience regarding painting metal? I've got a bed frame I've always hated which is dark grey metal. I'd love to paint it a different colour. My husband says Hammerite is thick and not easy to use so I wondered about any other options.
    Thanks
  • emma_kate
    Options
    Hammerite is thick and messy and you'd really only need that for outside metal.
    If you use ESP (Easy Surface Preparation by Owatrol - you can get it on ebay) you can paint with any water or oil based paint. I'd be tempted to go with a waterbased eggshell so it won't need further waxing or varnishing. The ESP makes paint bond to any non porous surface. You can even do glass or tile so metal will be no problem.

Take before and after pics for us!
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I havn't been on here for so long I forgot my user name!
    The lady, who, I think, is called Sarah something said at the begining of the programme that they had asked permission to approach people. Some of the things that were being dumped....well Wow.
    I like to record the French Connection series then we can whip through the ads!
    We are fortunate that the dump nearest us lets us have a root around and we have got some good stuff. The other ones are run like a military operation and no looking allowed, which is a shame.
    Anyway off to have a rummage around to see what I've been missing!
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am loving this thread. Still half way through it!

Can someone advise me as I want to have a go at painting my chest of drawers. It is not real wood - looks like some veneer - similar to Ikea drawers. Will paint stick to it? Not sure if I should sand down veneer?

Also I have never used chalk paint before but I am hearing a lot about it on this thread. I don't want to rush out to buy expensive paint. I have lots of paint left over from my walls - dulux matt. Will that be OK if I varnish it as well? The drawers will be used everyday so paint will need to withstand a lot of wear.
    Any advice will be appreciated.
  • DollyDabbler
    Options
    Kalsha, welcome to the thread.
    Can you try your paint out on an area out of sight? before painting the whole piece.
    Sometimes a sanding is required, sometimes a primer before ordinary emulsion is used to paint. alternatively look at the recipes for homemade chalk paint and try that using your emulsion.
  • kalsha
    Options
    Thank you dollydabbler.
    Yes, I was going to try on one of the inside surfaces first. I will use the emulsion that I have - which is better to use - matt or silk?
    I am not sure about the chalk paint. I haven't seen any furniture painted with chalk paint or if I have, I have not realised that it is chalk paint! I get the impression that chalk paint will not give a lasting finish - perhaps I am wrong? Also, I am not looking for a distressed/weathered look.
    I will try and go through the rest of the thread for more ideas.
  • DollyDabbler
    Options
    I use Matt and then clear varnish or wax, depending on the piece and the wear it is going to have. So long as I have prepped properly first, I haven't had any problems.
  • chalkysoil
    Options
    kalsha wrote: »
    Thank you dollydabbler.
    Yes, I was going to try on one of the inside surfaces first. I will use the emulsion that I have - which is better to use - matt or silk?
    I am not sure about the chalk paint. I haven't seen any furniture painted with chalk paint or if I have, I have not realised that it is chalk paint! I get the impression that chalk paint will not give a lasting finish - perhaps I am wrong? Also, I am not looking for a distressed/weathered look.
    I will try and go through the rest of the thread for more ideas.

I painted a Ikea laminate type cd tower with chalk paint and it is wearing well. I wiped it over with a damp tea towel, dried it, painted it with Annie sloan 2 or 3 times, then varnished it.
    Home made chalk paint made with plaster of paris and left over emulsion is nearly the same as as cp. The advantage is no prep work, the disadvantage is it looks shabby chic. I wax chalk paint on posh furniture - it needs something to set it, or varnish is ok. Chalk paint is pretty durable when waxed, although I have a few chips from the hoover and where chairs have banged against tables.
  • kalsha
    Options
    Thank you chalkysoil. The Ikea cd tower - you did not sand it at all? Just a wipe would be enough? What varnish do you use?

I am still debating whether to use ordinary emulsion or chalk paint. As I said I do not want a worn weathered look. Is Annie Sloan paint widely available. I think I need to nip over to B&Q to see what they have.
    Thank you for your input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport