Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Tesco food bank collections

Options
123457»

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Options
    Bizzare amount of hatred for food banks!. If you disagree with them then don't donate.

My local Tesco has a collection basket permanently sited near the tills. No need to wait for collection days.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I work for a charity that refers people to food banks. There are some heartbreaking stories of elderly widows, mums fleeing domestic violence and young people ( by that I mean teenagers) being orphaned, who have no where else to turn to and not a penny to their name.

Then...... there are people who get paid more in benefits per month than I do for working - spend their money on fags, drink and sky tv etc.......

Its like any charity - there will be some 'deserving' people and some not so.
  • rochja
    rochja Posts: 564 Forumite
    Options
    My local Waitrose has a Trussell Trust food collection point
    http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects
    This trust works with front line care professional to identify people in need and supply 3 day food parcels for short term emergency relief. A report they co-authored found:

Food banks were predominantly a last-resort, short-term measure, prompted by an ‘acute income crisis’ – something which had happened to completely stop or dramatically reduce their income
    Income crisis could be caused by sudden loss of earnings, change in family circumstances or housing problems. However, for between half and two thirds of the users from whom additional data was collected, the immediate trigger for food bank use was linked to problems with benefits (including waiting for benefits to be paid, sanctions, problems with ESA) or missing tax credits
    Many food bank users were also not made aware of the various crisis payments available in different circumstances, and even fewer were receiving them
    19-28% of users for whom additional data was collected had recently had household benefits stopped or reduced because of a sanction and 28-34% were waiting for a benefit claim which had not been decided
    Many food bank users faced multiple challenges, including ill-health, relationship breakdown, mental health problems or substantial caring responsibilities. Many were unable to work or had recently lost their job. The frequency of bereavement among food bank users was also a striking feature of this research.
    Trussell provide a list of the typical contents of a care parcel. My only criticism is that retailers are not offering to put together the wherewithal for for say one or a half parcel at a fixed price saving the shopper the effort of putting stuff together and depositing it at what might be an already full collection point.
    Life is like a box of chocolates - drop it and the soft centres splash everywhere
  • Mels1
    Mels1 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I was concerned recently when someone told me the food bank their local Tesco supports is actually located about 15 miles away in a completely different town despite the fact that there are two local food banks. I'm going to ask next time I go shopping as my preference would be to help a local one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure