Budget tyres or Premium tyres?

Options

Comments

• force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    camskill discounts wiped out when you go to a fitter and they charge you £10 a wheel minimum. (london). I heard people up north will fit them for £2.50 a wheel.

camskill prices used as example only

if i used black circles the fully fitted price of the contis is £64.25, and£59.40 for the Vredestein Sportrac 5

i wouldn't consider the black circles value tyre lucky dip so wont even quote that price
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    What I really don't understand is why people spend £400 a month on a car and then stick the nastiest cheap rubber on it.

Car manufacturers spend millions of £ on finding the best tyres and suspension combination to suit their cars and then people go and stick £20 Supermega Ditch Finder XLs on it.

Surely it would depend on what you term a cheap tyre?

Nothing really wrong with stuff like Nexen, they even have a budget brand now, Goodride.

Hankooks are good as are Kumho.

And they are significantly cheaper than Michelins or Continental tyres and few people will actually notice a performance difference.

Especially since you can compare certain parameters with the EU tyre tests.

Money no object I would have no problem with spending on Michelins.

But when a Toyo T1R Proxes will perform aswell if not better in some ways than the OE tyres why not pay an awful lot less.

I must admit to preferring to stay away when possible from stuff like Ling Long or tyres that are being sold on eBay that have been sourced for next to nothing in China by some dodgy geezer.
  • bigjl
    Options
    camskill discounts wiped out when you go to a fitter and they charge you £10 a wheel minimum. (london). I heard people up north will fit them for £2.50 a wheel.

£10 to fit an balance a tyre?

Where did you go KwikFit or National tyres?

I can get a fit and balance done for £5.

And the money I saved using Oponeo wasn't wiped out by fitting costs, I was still £20/25 better off per corner.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »
    £10 to fit an balance a tyre?

Where did you go KwikFit or National tyres?

I can get a fit and balance done for £5.

And the money I saved using Oponeo wasn't wiped out by fitting costs, I was still £20/25 better off per corner.

Nope, I even used camskills or blackcircle's own tyre fitter database and they were charging £10,£15,£20 per wheel for fitting. The exception was one that was fitting for £5 and they explicitly said they did not have a balancing machine. LOL.
  • bigjl
    Options
    Nope, I even used camskills or blackcircle's own tyre fitter database and they were charging £10,£15,£20 per wheel for fitting. The exception was one that was fitting for £5 and they explicitly said they did not have a balancing machine. LOL.

I have never paid more than £5 to have tyre fitted and balanced.
    Though even if it was £10 to fit and balance the times I have used Oponeo the savings where much more than £10 so it would still save money.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »
    I have never paid more than £5 to have tyre fitted and balanced.
    Though even if it was £10 to fit and balance the times I have used Oponeo the savings where much more than £10 so it would still save money.

you probably live somewhere out in the country. london - impossible to get fitting for a fiver
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    you probably live somewhere out in the country. london - impossible to get fitting for a fiver

Cobblers. You're not talking to the right people then, or perhaps they just don't like you enough (yet)?
  • Horizon81
    Horizon81 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    What I really don't understand is why people spend £400 a month on a car and then stick the nastiest cheap rubber on it.

And fill it with supermarket petrol and get those immigrant car washes! Makes you wince to see a £40k car queueing for Asda's 99p petrol then going to the kurdish-car-wash for an industrial blast with some lorry cleaner.
  • salubrious
    Options
    You're getting that at a good price for a fiver - I charge a tenner for a strip and rebuild, which is more nearer the going rate.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Horizon81 wrote: »
    And fill it with supermarket petrol and get those immigrant car washes! Makes you wince to see a £40k car queueing for Asda's 99p petrol then going to the kurdish-car-wash for an industrial blast with some lorry cleaner.

Nothing to do with immigrants per se - we have plenty home-grown chancers who will 'clean' your car with a bucket and spade - sorry - I meant a gritty sponge and a squeezy bottle of washing up liquid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure