MSE News: O2 to hike its prices by 2.7% - can you leave your contract penalty-free?

Options
"O2's eight million pay monthly customers will be hit by a price rise of 2.7% from March..."
Read the full story:

O2 to hike its prices by 2.7% - can you leave your contract penalty-free?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2014 at 1:32PM
    Options
    O2 are not allowing customers to leave their contract free of charge.

Their new T&C dated January 23rd state that a price increase (or decrease) by RPI is mandatory once every 12 months starting March 2014.

This is also to be communicated at point of sale across Online, retail and telesales.

Therefore O2 are actually selling contracts which explicitly state a price increase. Therefore no one can cancel.

So far O2 are the only network to assume this new position and introduce price increases for all customers as a standard thing. It's a loophole to get around Ofcom's new guidelines introduced today.

Vodafone and Three have stated they will not increase prices for consumers from January 23rd, if they do then customers will be free to leave as per Ofcom guidelines.

EE have yet to announce their plans. I fear O2 will have some backlash (rightly so) and if EE follow then I expect them to lose over 1 million customers this year like they did before with the previous price increases.
  • daleski75
    daleski75 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Extract from http://www.o2.co.uk/desktop/prices

Can I cancel my contract because of this?
    An increase of this kind does not entitle you to end your agreement mid-contract. As set out above, our terms for customers signing up both pre- and post- 23rd January allow us to apply a price increase to reflect RPI.
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Options
    MSE Helen, when does a price rise become a "Hike"?

It seems that if something goes up by any level at all, it's a "Hike". Surely it's just a rise, or do you use the scary word "hike" in a hope to drive people to fear and worry that their choice is between feeding the children or paying the phone bill?
    After all, a 2.7% hike on a £40 bill would be £1.08 - the price of a cheap burger.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • ZhugeEX
    Options
    WTFH wrote: »
    MSE Helen, when does a price rise become a "Hike"?

It seems that if something goes up by any level at all, it's a "Hike". Surely it's just a rise, or do you use the scary word "hike" in a hope to drive people to fear and worry that their choice is between feeding the children or paying the phone bill?
    After all, a 2.7% hike on a £40 bill would be £1.08 - the price of a cheap burger.

So you advocate networks being able to increase prices when they like?

Some people just want to watch the world burn :D
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Options
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    So you advocate networks being able to increase prices when they like?

Some people just want to watch the world burn :D

No, I advocate sensible reporting. It's the constant use of the word "Hike" on here, implying a massive rise. That's my issue.

I'm not talking about the rights and wrongs of what O2 have done. I'm not interested in watching the world burn.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • ZhugeEX
    Options
    WTFH wrote: »
    No, I advocate sensible reporting.

No worries haha.

As long as MSE don't go down the daily mail route with their headlines i'm sure it'll be ok. :D
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options
    "But Ofcom's new rules....."

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember Ofcom clearly stating that they had NOT introduced any "new rules", merely clarified the old rules...

And IIRC they basically said that any price increase within the contract term would be considered "material detriment"...... therefore I can't see how the clarification only applies from a certain date and before that the clarification doesn't somehow apply?

Therefore if I was on O2 the I would follow the CISAS complaints procedure on that basis for penalty free termination of my contract. Look how many people did similar with the EE
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • ZhugeEX
    Options
    Look how many people did similar with the EE

I think the correct thing to say is look how many people didnt.

Why do networks feel they're above everyone.
  • billykeats
    Options
    How will this affect the likes of Tesco Mobile and GiffGaff that use O2's network?
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i suspected at least one of the main networks was going to do this.

and no suprise it was o2.

glad i left when i did!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family