I pad activation lock

Options
I have my dad's ipad (old one!) my dad died 5 years ago and i have been using his i pad ever since. It never had a password to get in so I have been happily using it since he died. All of a sudden I get a message saying that it has an activation lock on it because its owner has used find my i phone to link it to their apple i.d.
Obviously this hasn't happened! so i phoned apple and was told that they could only unlock the ipad if I had proof of purchase.
Can anyone help or has the ipad had its day.
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)

Comments

• Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also interested - sort of, in this problem.
    I'm an executor of a distant relative who lived on their own.
    Their Ipad is password locked at the first screen.

The question is whether, how etc it is possible to get apple to unlock it.
    Actually as an executor I am required to do all I can to locate funds some of evidence for which may only be on the ipad. So my getting access to the ipad might be seen as a "requirement".
    Finding proof of purchase in the circumstance of being an executor is not going to happen.
    In possession of a death certificate, and estate probate is not problem of course for me.
  • littleredhen
    Options
    I was told by apple that i would have to provide proof of purchase. The i pad says you can log into the itunes account and reboot that way but again I don't know his password. For me the frustration is the fact I have been using his i pad for several years without any hassle! I am at a loss what to do, although the i pad is slow it is still useful - or was!
    Sorry not much help either but bumping this up might get us an answer

• littleredhen
    Options
    anyone help, please??

• isabel.h
    Options
    might be worthwhile having a look on this forum for i pads i have used before and got good advice

https://discussions.apple.com/community/ipad/using_ipad?page=1
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A few thoughts.

Is the account is it locked to actually your fathers? I see no confirmation either way.

Seocnd, apple are odd and are known to think they continue to own the device and mearly lend its use to you. As such not having a registered account to it would seem strange. Why did you never change the account, especially if you did not have the password.

That said you may get someway if you shame them on social media.
  • littleredhen
    Options
    I thought I had changed the account to me but when the screen comes up with authentication lock it has my dad's email (or part of it) coming up so I am not sure what has gone wrong. I have tried going into i cloud on my computer but there are no devices showing, its such a long time ago now I can't remember what happened at the time of me starting to use my dad's ipad

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You wont get apple to remove the activation lock unless you can provide proof of purchase.

Its as simple as that :(
  • flightboy
    Options
    If you know his old password have you tried gaining access to that? then you can just reset the password and create a new one
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is the email address still active?

If so and you have access then is it possible to 'reset password' on the icloud.com log on?
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    flightboy wrote: »
    If you know his old password have you tried gaining access to that? then you can just reset the password and create a new one
    Post #1 - it never had a password!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport