Engagement ring - getting the most for your money.

Options
jbutleruk
jbutleruk Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 21 May 2014 at 8:54AM in MoneySaving dads
Hello all.

So after living with my girlfriend for just a month we found out we're expecting.

That in mind I'm looking to propose to my girlfriend of two years.

I've saved up around £2k and I'm looking to get a nice ring for her.

Ideally I want a platinum ring (they stay brighter for longer than white gold) then a nice diamond in it.

Given the variables in the diamond, cut, quality, carat and colour. I want to make sure I get the most for my money.

I went to a local jewelers where they hand make jewelry, I'm thinking I will get more for my money than a big corporate shop.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice.

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well you will likely get a unique ring but will pay slightly more for this as opposed to a main stream jewellers, It is all about preference though and I think having one made would be better but remember you will probably get less for your money.
  • monty-doggy
    monty-doggy Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There are plenty of independent jewellers rather than high street names where you will get more for your money. Platinum is very expensive. We bought my ring from a shop called ablesons in Manchester, they are on a side street off deans gate and more trade than high st. My ring cost £2500 I think and is a 1ct brilliant cut colour e and almost flawless. It has stones set in the shoulders. It's white gold. I get compliments on it almost every day and I had it valued elsewhere for insurance and it came back worth £4800.
  • jaylee3
    jaylee3 Posts: 2,127 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it were me, I would want my fiance to spend about two hundred on the ring and keep the other £1800 in the bank. If we were expecting a baby, I would consider it incredibly frivolous to spend £2,000 on an engagement ring. You can get a perfectly nice and decent quality ring for a couple of hundred pounds.

And you will need a LOT of money when baby comes along. Probably before too! So saving most of that two grand and spending just a couple of hundred on the ring seems to make more sense IMO.

I know it may not be what you asked (or wanted to hear,) but this is a moneysaving page, and this is a moneysaving site.

There are numerous independent jewellers where you could get a nice, decent, unique ring for several hundred.
    (•_•)
    )o o)╯
    /___\
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    my brother found that palladium has similar properties to platinum, being a very hard and bright white metal, but is considerably cheaper - it may be worth looking into.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jaylee3 is right, but left out the part about engagement rings being a scam, a sham, an incredible feat of advertising and marketing that dupes untold millions into wastefully parting with untold billions every year.

I spent about £10 on my wife's engagement ring, and a few days before our wedding we went to a day-market and picked up two plain rings for about £3 (total! Not each!). And if anything, we overspent! No practical use whatsoever.

UNLESS... she's a jewellery nut who spends money on items like necklaces and rings all the time anyway. If rings are something she's interested in, then a couple of hundred on a nice ring might be money well spent. My wife likes spoons, and I've bought her a couple of gold spoons over the years. This is because SHE likes spoons. Not because of some ridiculous "tradition" that started a few decades ago as a way to sell diamonds for stupid prices. :P

Best of luck either way!
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 May 2014 at 1:54PM
    Options
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    jaylee3 is right, but left out the part about engagement rings being a scam, a sham, an incredible feat of advertising and marketing that dupes untold millions into wastefully parting with untold billions every year.

I spent about £10 on my wife's engagement ring, and a few days before our wedding we went to a day-market and picked up two plain rings for about £3 (total! Not each!). And if anything, we overspent! No practical use whatsoever.

UNLESS... she's a jewellery nut who spends money on items like necklaces and rings all the time anyway. If rings are something she's interested in, then a couple of hundred on a nice ring might be money well spent. My wife likes spoons, and I've bought her a couple of gold spoons over the years. This is because SHE likes spoons. Not because of some ridiculous "tradition" that started a few decades ago as a way to sell diamonds for stupid prices. :P

Best of luck either way!

90% of women would be insulted being given a £10 ring.

To the OP, I'd go to an independent and barter. I have some particularly expensive earrings as special birthday present - I can't recall how much they reduced the price but they certainly added something worth about 100 in to the bag.
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's up to the OP how much they wish to spend on a ring, I'm sure they are aware how much a baby will cost.

I would go to a diamond wholesaler if possible. The chain retailers have a massive mark up on their rings. I know in Belfast we have the likes of the Gardiner Brothers but not sure about the mainland!

Good luck :)
  • topdaddy_2
    topdaddy_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    I would and did buy the one I thought my wife would like. It was expensive but its the only one ill be buying and the only one she'll be wearing. Get her one she'll be happy to wear forever. If thats tens or thousands of pounds and you can afford it then thats the one. And to make make people on here really upset maybe get a loan?(probbably dont;):eek:)
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buzzybee90 wrote: »
    90% of women would be insulted being given a £10 ring.

That's a horrible thing to say. I am quite sure that 90% of women are not that shallow!

If a person commits to another person, to promise to spend the rest of their lives together, to work together through life's challenges, and to grow old together, that's brilliant, and so wonderful and special. But then losing a month's salary on a rock that has been dug out of the ground and literally does nothing that a zirconia can't do is... well, whenever I read about the fact that this new "tradition" continues, I'm staggered. Might as well buy a square kilometer of land on Venus for her (hmmm... that gives me an idea for a marketing campaign!).

£2000 budget? How about £1990 to charity to feed some of the millions of poverty-stricken children or help war refugees, plus a receipt from the charity to prove that you're not so gullible as to be suckered in by an eighty-year-old diamond ad campaign, and a £10 band of metal for her finger (or spend a little more for a built-in compass and GPS tracker! Actually make it useful!).

The ring should be a symbol of love and commitment. Buying a diamond symbolises throwing money away (ask in the Savings & Investments subforum if you're not sure about that). If you are so impressed by shiny things, how about a nice reflective jacket?

Alternatively, instead of popping to a shop and picking up a diamond ring (which anyone with a credit card could do in a minute, and hardly makes you special), actually do something interesting about the ring, like the two of you designing and crafting a truly unique ring together? If you're going to be sheep, be AWESOME sheep! :D (Plus, you could use the equipment in future to make rings for other people and earn a bit of extra cash, and it will have paid for itself! What a fantastic MSE way to do it!)
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • somyagilberts
    Options
    you can go to Esty and search a best ring which will fit in your budget.and,hopefully in 2000$ you will get a nice cut platinum ring.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure