old books

Options
Anyone know where I could offload some books ? a mixture of
hard & paper backs,they'r mostly biographies (few novels). Every 6 months I take about 2 doz to charity shops but they now say they have too many.
I would hate to dump them.

Comments

• jenheiffer
    jenheiffer Posts: 395 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2014 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Do public libraries take donations? Maybe you could check.

Or you could ask around your friends and family if there's any they would like.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our local recycling centre and Asda carpark have charity collection bins for books.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • willow29
    willow29 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if this is convenient to you or not but there's an Oxfam book shop on Botanic Ave in Belfast who would be happy to take your donations. Also an Oxfam book shop in Belfast city centre, think its Ann St. It's almost opposite B&M bargains anyway.
  • cliffsgirl
    Options
    What about donating to a hospital. I know the city hospital has a bookcase in the Bridgewater suite ( for cancer patients) where people can leave books.
  • jenheiffer
    Options
    cliffsgirl wrote: »
    What about donating to a hospital. I know the city hospital has a bookcase in the Bridgewater suite ( for cancer patients) where people can leave books.

Some train stations e.g. Lurgan also have a space where you can leave books and also borrow them to read on the train. More usually get taken than left, so they can always take more.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strange but I spotted a notice up in the charity shop on the Ormeau Road, sorry walking pass so cannot remember which one. We are no longer accepting books.
  • PaulMc81
    PaulMc81 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I've given boxes of books away on various free add websites (gumtree / freecycle etc) and also over social media groups. There's always someone who'll take them. The one's I've advertised have been taken within hours of posting the ad.
  • BatCat
    BatCat Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Belfast central station has a bookcase for unwanted books. Very handy.
  • Golden_Anemone
    Options
    I've also struggled to offload paperbacks recently - as you say charity shops are overflowing. I reluctantly filled my blue bin with my last clear out. There are a couple of boxes of hardbacks in the garage that I can't bring myself to rip apart so they can be recycled but I can't hang on to them for ever so it may come down to that.
  • happy_gardener
    Options
    Try your local freegle group. You can find them at https://www.ilovefreegle.org
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport