Beware PPI claims from companies claiming to be Lloyds Bank

Options
beez1950
beez1950 Posts: 12 Forumite
I have been on at my son, who has ADD, for 2 years to claim his PPI from Lloyds Bank Credit card. Finally having got him to send off the letter requesting a copy of his original credit card agreement, plus the £1.00 cheque, he had the copy of the agreement returned in the post to him. Included with the form was a claim form. As he doesn't live with me I didn't get a chance to see the form properly but having managed to tie him down, we filled it out and sent it off.
He got a phone call and text message from 'Lloyds Bank' asking questions and confirming that a decision had been reached and was thrilled to be sent a letter from Lloyds saying he had been awarded £2,293. A few days later he received an invoice from a Credit claim firm asking for a fee of £688. Apparently the form Lloyds had sent him was from a Claim firm.
I was SO ANNOYED with myself for not reading the terms and conditions. A copy of which was enclosed with the invoice showing his signature that he had read them!!! I had just assumed that the form was from Lloyds Bank as they had sent it. No doubt they get a nice bit of commission for fools like us.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lloyds won't have sent him a form from a claims company.

He'll have signed up to the CMC through some other route.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lloyds didn't send him the Claim Form, nor did they sign the Claim Company's Agreement, I'm afraid. If the Bank had sent any such Claim Company referral they would be in very serious trouble with the Regulator. The complaint process is simple and free.

I believe on further investigation you'll find that your son wrote to the Claim Company in the first instance rather than the Bank. I've seen unconfirmed reports on this forum in which some Claims Companies have been accused of designing their websites to make it appear as if they are "officially" representing the Bank.

Name and shame this company...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    inally having got him to send off the letter requesting a copy of his original credit card agreement, plus the £1.00 cheque, he had the copy of the agreement returned in the post to him. Included with the form was a claim form.

That was not actually required for a PPI complaint.
    was SO ANNOYED with myself for not reading the terms and conditions. A copy of which was enclosed with the invoice showing his signature that he had read them!!! I had just assumed that the form was from Lloyds Bank as they had sent it. No doubt they get a nice bit of commission for fools like us.

There are some dodgy claims companies that make out that they are the official complaints arm of a firm. However, Lloyds, like most, go out of their way to tell you that you do not need to use a claims company.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • beez1950
    Options
    That may well have been what happened. Thanks for that
  • beez1950
    Options
    The address he sent it to was
    Card Services
    Lloyds Bank Plc
    P O Box 12304
    Edinburgh
    EH12 9DX
  • beez1950
    Options

Card Services
    Lloyds Bank Plc
    P O Box 12304
    Edinburgh
    EH12 9DX
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should ask the CMC for a copy of the contract as you have no record of employing them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    beez1950 wrote: »

Card Services
    Lloyds Bank Plc
    P O Box 12304
    Edinburgh
    EH12 9DX
    The address of Lloyds Bank is not in question, how your son came to sign a contract with a Claim Company is.

Name the Claim Company.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    That is the address for Lloyds, but somewhere along the line he must have spoken to a CMC. What is the name of the CMC?

The referral will not have come from Lloyds.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    beez1950 wrote: »
    I was SO ANNOYED with myself for not reading the terms and conditions. A copy of which was enclosed with the invoice showing his signature that he had read them!!! I had just assumed that the form was from Lloyds Bank
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You should ask the CMC for a copy of the contract as you have no record of employing them.
    There is no need for the OP to do this, Dunston, since the pertinent points of the original post show that the contract is already in their possession.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure