The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, we wondered how you find the accounts and rates? Just because our credit union's savings rates have been consistently better than the 'instant access savings' or the 'ethical savings' rates you quote in the article. We have delivered 1.5% for the past 2 years running.
    Is there any way we can be included when you do the research?

See
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/credit-unions

The issue with CUs is that their accounts are not available to the general public.
  • somersetsaving
    Options
    Great thanks for your input - we are working out how best to engage with MSE so your help is greatly appreciated.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have delivered 1.5% for the past 2 years running.

I made between 4% and 5% on my cash for each of the past 2 years, with full FSCS protection.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FOREVER21 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I lost faith in credit unions after my experience with DotCom Unity which went into liquidation last year.
    You are not the only one. Sadly, DCU has given credit unions a very bad name.
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    I made between 4% and 5% on my cash for each of the past 2 years, with full FSCS protection.
    Was this by using current account switching or something else?
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2016 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Just answered my own question! No her money is not safe with a stocks and shares ISA, thanks MSE Martin for the write up on that! Still found better with the general ISA list sent out in the email the other week and it's way better than her 1% bank offer! Just wish they'd offer cashback too like the stocks and shares ISAs do!
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I've found Raphaels bank (via MSE) offer 2.25% for a lump sum over 3 years.

Wasn't that account withdrawn last week?
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 June 2016 at 10:37AM
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Just answered my own question! No her money is not safe with a stocks and shares ISA, thanks MSE Martin for the write up on that! Still found better with the general ISA list sent out in the email the other week and it's way better than her 1% bank offer! Just wish they'd offer cashback too like the stocks and shares ISAs do!
    Bit confused? The two emails posted yesterday seem to refer to previous posts that I cant find. Were they deleted? Anyway
    I'm always interested when someone says "found better". Was what you found Raphaels bank as in the quote by polymaff?. Where can the email you refer to be found? Thanks
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bit confused? The two emails posted yesterday seem to refer to previous posts that I cant find. Were they deleted? Anyway
    I'm always interested when someone says "found better". Was what you found Raphaels bank as in the quote by polymaff?. Where can the email you refer to be found? Thanks

The original was significantly edited three minutes after my posting, David!
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was this by using current account switching or something else?
    Just the interest from my 3%, 4%, 4.5%, 5% and 6% accounts.

The 4.5% one has matured now and I can't replace it, so it will be badly missed. There will be a couple of others where the rate has / will come down, making my average for this year lower. I still expect it to be very close to 4% for this tax year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback