PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning bathroom tiles

Options
dazzanator
dazzanator Posts: 47 Forumite
edited 27 April 2010 at 9:18PM in Old style MoneySaving
hi i need to clean my bathroom tiles they have hard water on them and also have orange inbetween the grout any ideas for getting them clean also i have a plastic bath needs a good clean and gold taps what dont look gold anymore any tips on what works will be great thanks

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
debt free:beer:

Comments

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    We use a steam cleaner and that gets off everything..LOL. Buff up with a micrfibre cloth after and you are left with shiny, non streak tiles.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Note of caution if using a steam cleaner on tiles - it can take the grout off if you're not careful, plus the bath sealant ;)

For the orange grout, a diluted bleach solution and a toothbrush can work wonders.

For the tiles, I use a solution of vinegar/bicarb diluted with water decanted in a spray bottle. Spray on, give it a moment to 'work' then rinse off with a damp cloth. Microfibre if you have one, but no worries if not.

Do not use the vinegar/bicarb on your gold coloured taps though! It can strip the colour off.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't help with the taps, but I find the rough side of a kitchen washing up sponge works great on my tiles and grout. I use netto cream cleaner.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Gingham, I once had the bright spark idea of rubbing a mark off my kitchen window with the scouring side of a kitchen sponge ... :o ... it scratched the glass :laugh: Some of those sponge scourers are mighty rough in action. It was a standing joke with my dk's for a long time. Cure? Had double glazing put in ;) :rotfl:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I saw on one of those makeover programmes they recommended using car wax on the bathroom tiles after you have cleaned them. Then the water just runs off and you don't get that scummy build up that's so difficult to clean. They said you only need to do the wax thing twice a year - sounds like a good thing to me! I must get around to trying it.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • moiracm
    moiracm Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem with my tiles with orange bits on the grout and also really bad water stains. I used stardrops in a squeezy bottle mixed 50/50 with water. I sprayed it left it 5 mins and it came off easily. The grout I used an old toothbrush to get in the corners but it was so effortless and it absolutley gleemed afterwards
  • devon-gnome
    devon-gnome Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Someone on MSE suggested thick bleach mixed with bicarb of soda. I tried it and put it on with an old back brush. The effect was remarkable; my tiles look new again. :)
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    try mr muscle limescale remover spray, found some in my cupboard last week used it on my white tiles in the shower cubicle and the orange gunge has gone not need for a toothbrush or scrubbing.
  • specialK
    specialK Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I use a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a comb, it comes of very easy.
    :happyhear We are not put on this earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other.
    If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.
    --- Jeff Warner:happyhear
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I use neat bleach applied with an old toothbrush on the grout, leave for 5 mins and then rinse off.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure