PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 March 2018 at 11:55AM
    Options
    I'll admit to not really being a fan of soup. I'm happy to have a "chunky soup" tin in the cupboard - or to choose a nice sounding one on a pub menu (if it's cheaper than a main meal and comes with a hunk of bread) ....but I'm not really a "fan" at all....

I've made some, but one bowl's enough.
    Yes, if you are like me, you have to be 'in the mood'. :rotfl:But you could add some bacon or butter beans or something to make it more hearty and interesting.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Are you buying the bungalow you viewed kittie?

No, gorgeous build, super builder but I did the pre-prep and delved into planning permission, noted that a neighbour objected. Had a good look down that dividing very tatty tall fence which belonged to neighbour, saw a long row of new leylandii growing fast on their side, tops just about visible if looking hard, 3 feet from actual bungalow side. I turned it down. Up for sale one day and sold the next but trouble in waiting. I have just looked at another area, opposite direction, same distance from shop, cheaper area but still lovely. Now waiting for properties to come up for sale
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    No, gorgeous build, super builder but I did the pre-prep and delved into planning permission, noted that a neighbour objected. Had a good look down that dividing very tatty tall fence which belonged to neighbour, saw a long row of new leylandii growing fast on their side, tops just about visible if looking hard, 3 feet from actual bungalow side. I turned it down. Up for sale one day and sold the next but trouble in waiting. I have just looked at another area, opposite direction, same distance from shop, cheaper area but still lovely. Now waiting for properties to come up for sale
    I did wonder when you mentioned the leylandii & rickety fence. Hopefully the "one for you" will come up soon.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Root veg stew and dumplings PN or in a giant YP?
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a banana before yoga, and took a packet of smoky bacon crisp to the quiz to have with the wine!
    Tea was the salmon with sweet chilli sauce, garlic mash mange tout,broccoli and carrot.
    With a yogurt and seeds in it.
    Woke to a smattering of snow this morning, though just a few miles up the road my friend has an inch or two.
    I've had 2 toast and cheese spread, not sure what to have for tea today, maybe pasta??
    I can't usually buy ready meals, but curry or similar spicy things are my thing and tbh I can't replicate the flavours the same at home.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've had a gluten free roll toasted with some marg, romaine lettuce and tomatoes as well as 2 oranges.

Strange. I'm noticing that I feel a lot less hungry trying to avoid gluten.

I got a lovely butternut squash in my veg box and I am going to make roasted butternut squash chili/coconut milk soup tonight.

Not sure about lunch. We have to take our dogs to the vet this afternoon so will make something before I go out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lunch is out the window, I mean the plan. Been to the allotment, got carried away weeding and was starving when I came back, a smidgen away from toast and jam but grabbed a small rm and popped it into the oven with part roasted parsnips. Will be having that with shredded savoy, which kept lovely from new, I close wrapped it.

In the meantime I have had pudding, stewed apple yogurt and almonds and 4 soaked apricots. I grabbed a frozen blackcurrant pie, now defrosting in the sun because I fancy a slice this afternoon. No soup today but lamb chop and brocolli and caulie last meal. I had to throw a polybagged caulie floret out, got brown. The ones in the vac jars are pristine white

I feel satisfied today, nice work on the allotment
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    No, gorgeous build, super builder
    Am I the only one who at first linked the two?
    I think I need help (or a tasty builder).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bit late clocking in today, faffing around AM sorting out "fuss free" energy supplier transfer, after that it was mooching in 4sda & w/rose. Nothing much, topped up with more on offer cheese otherwise nothing very tempting

Breakfast was HM yoghurt & honey

Lunch was last of the YS ham, with salady bits in a sarnie

Dinner will be last of the M &S rm 3 for a tenner offer. This one looks more promising, roast pork loin with spuds, carrots & cabbage. 288 calories. The calorie cops will be after you PN
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Today was spent off in "bigger town" - at the dentists (plus other chores):(. Just routine visit - job done, but confirmed my opinion (again) that I've got my eyes open for a different dental practice that will suit me better and there is a vague possibility I'm waiting on to see-what-transpires and if it does work out = good. If it doesn't work out = I shall have to re-examine just which practice I'm with - in order to try and get one more like I'm used to.

Was already planning on treating myself to main meal out at lunchtime - my idea of compensation to myself for all that. Hungry by the time I got to "bigger town" - so started with my flat white coffee and a slice of orange polenta cake (as I was hungry already). Apres the dentists - lunch was vegetable tagine, rice, salad and a glass of wine may just have slipped in there. Just as well on the extra "reward for effort" front - as I had rather anticipated my delivery I had been firmly promised for 2nd day in a row would be with me - but chucked around/package damaged/etc/etc (true enough - it was:cool:).

The laugh for the day at least - amongst couple of conversations with complete strangers around-and-about (as is pretty normal in this area) was man on bus near me and we got chatting. Subject went on to shortages of food in shops recently (due to snow) - and I mentioned my large stock of food I have in (cue for one jokey marriage proposal from him) and how I often make my own bread (cue for second jokey marriage proposal from him):rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

Oh well - that brings the lifetime tally, I think, to 4 serious ones (or equivalent assumptions on their part) and 2 jokey ones (the jokey ones were both in the last year):rotfl:. As you can tell - all duly turned down over the years....

Cue for me thinking "Betcha there wouldnt even have been a jokey one from him if he'd known just how I eat normally:rotfl:".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback