Keeping up appearances.......

Options

Comments

• HappyNow
    HappyNow Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chev - thanks for dropping by. I keep an eye on your diary hoping for an update. Hope you're doing ok now :)

Joey - that revision sounds heavy going. I learnt loads about the world when I was testing my two for their exams. All forgotten again now of course (by them as well as me, but they got their certificates which was the aim of the exercise!).

Honey - To be honest, I wouldn't 100% trust my dog if one of the cats walked past while she had a bone. All the humans could take it from her without hesitation (we don't, but we could) but I think it's pretty natural to resource guard from another animal. A few weeks ago Mr H had the dog on one side of him and a cat on the other and he was innocently letting them take turns to lick the remains of his yogurt pot while watching telly. All was fine for a while, then suddenly the dog jumped up and snapped at the cat, who luckily has brilliant reactions for an 18 yr old moggy. It was so fast we don't really know what happened, but lesson learnt for us. No harm done luckily and it was instantly forgotten by both of them, who are now best friends again. I do feed them all in the same room at the same time, and when they've all finished there's always a bit of mutual bowl inspecting, but I always stay in the room while they're eating.
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Finally free of unsecured debt 21st May 21!

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt May 21: Unsecured ZERO! ZILCH! Mortgage £22,332
  • HappyNow
    HappyNow Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So, this is my last post before our holidays. I haven't been able to get on here for the last couple of days, because it has been so chaotic in the Happy House. Mr H and I have both worked extra unpaid hours to clear work backlogs before we go, and Miss H has signed the tenancy agreement on her rental house so there's loads to do there. Granny H has been ill, although she's loads better now. Just general mayhem and we are both soooo ready for a relaxing couple of weeks.

I won't be able to post while I'm away because we're just taking the one phone but I will do my best to keep reading, signal permitting.
    Back on 29th, have a good couple of weeks xx :)
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Finally free of unsecured debt 21st May 21!

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt May 21: Unsecured ZERO! ZILCH! Mortgage £22,332
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the information about your cat and dog's relationship, Happy. I feel a lot better about what he did now, because that's the first time I've come across it over all the years I've been around dogs so I thought it was exceptional behaviour. If it's the norm then what he did makes complete sense - I can't forget I know very little about his history other than the six weeks I've had him.

For instance, this morning at the vet we discussed his 'output' and she thinks it's possible that the reason he poohs on pretty much every single walk is that can be evidence of a dog that hasn't been walked enough and only gets one opportunity a day to download, so he's pushing it out as fast as he can get it out of his system. Makes complete sense, but it's very sad for him that he's obviously suffered from what I believe is called 'benign neglect.' Another classic symptom - bad breath caused by rotten teeth. They're being done on Friday next week (£££ ouch - thank G for insurance) and (sadly) a lump I found the day before yesterday will be needled at the same time to see what it contains. Nothing good, I'm sure, but hopefully nothing as sinister as my fears.

Have a wonderful, wonderful holiday - you deserve every single minute of it as a reward for all of your debt-busting and precision 'Keeping up Appearances' balancing act.

Bon Voyage!

PS Copious amounts of coffee consumed, not enough sleep being had etc etc. Can't bring myself to report on it at the moment.
    Better is good enough.
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bon voyage.xxx
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HoneyBear, regarding the dog guarding his bone from the cat - yes that happens in our home too and its almost exactly like Happy's experience. They get on brilliantly, play-fight, sleep in the same bed but we feed them separately as the cat likes to leave some of her food for later and the dog doesn't understand that and wants to eat it up for her. But if dog has a bone, then the cat will not get a look-in and he will snap at her if she tries.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• 2328benso
    Options
    Just thought id say a quick hi and say how much i've enjoyed reading this diary - read all 79 pages over the last few nights and had many giggles along the way :rotfl:

Hope everyone thats now on holiday have a great time :beer:
  • Miami
    Miami Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    ^Also read all 79 pages last night and there were bits where I was laughing my head off too :rotfl:

I know you're on holiday at the moment, Happy, so you might not see this for a while, but I just wanted to say I find you rather inspirational. :D After your LBM, you were panicking every time a money-gobbling emergency happened and struggling to pay off the debts each month, but now the debts are being paid as if it's second nature and every time something crops up, you just look like this --> :think: and magically find money from somewhere. You're even having a holiday while repaying which is fabulous!! :j
    SPC #080
  • Dolphin1
    Dolphin1 Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    <Dolphin1 returns from her travels and shouts "hello" as tumbleweed rolls by and all she hears in return are echoes of her own "hello"> :)

Seriously, what happened? Mrs HappyNow goes on holiday and everyone else (yes I mean you Mrs Honey Bear) decides to skive off. Actually, that sounds pretty good because I am really struggling to get back in to the routine of my targets. :rotfl:

Is there anyone out there? :)
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Dolphin, sorry real life has been ridiculously busy and I've barely been online except to do a few survey and PTC sites, and even then I'm just doing the minimum. Must get myself more organised.
    How was your holiday?
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Dolphin1
    Dolphin1 Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 June 2015 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Hi Joey :wave:

Thanks for asking, the holiday was lovely and relaxing especially the hot tub that came with the cottage and I didn't have too much cake because it was almost impossible getting hold of gluten free anything in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully, I took some supplies. OH and I didn't want to come home!

I am now finding it really tough to get back in to a routine. My sleeping pattern is all over the place. I'm sure things will get back to normal soon. I suppose I had better look back and remind myself of my targets. :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback