PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kahra
    Kahra Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd like to join for another month - we're back on track after the holidays, spending-wise, so I'm upping our budget to £290 for 2 adults in Feb. Should feel easy after January!

Thanks to everyone who runs this thread :)
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    £100 for me please!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello, I am in again for Feb! My GC goes from 23rd Jan-21st Feb.
    My budget is £250

I am confident that I wont go over this.
  • charmed1318
    Options
    Hello GCers!
    I have been reading January's thread and many many others over the past few weeks ad would love to join, hopefully to keep on track.
    It is just me, and this year I am trying to track my spending.
    Love reading all the recipe's and OS style ways. Pretty lucky as I have sains, @ldi, lid1, icel@nd, 8'n'Ms, @sda, Home B's, F@rmfoods, te$co and m0rris0ns close by.
    Target of £60, this includes groceries, toiletries, cleaning stuff to run
    1st-28th. Don't expect many NSDs as going to the SMs in the evenings is kind of the only exercise I get at the moment.
    Back to catch up on the Jan thread :)
  • newpennypincher
    Options
    Can I join too please? We massively overspent before Christmas and need to learn to stay within budget. Our month runs from the 24th and the plan is to stick to a budget of £140 a month for the two of us to include groceries, toiletries and cleaning stuff.

I'm going to withdraw the money on payday and hopefully handing over actual cash will make us think twice before buying something. I plan to do a week's worth of shopping every Friday.

Thank you :D
    1st card to go - Aq*a - [STRIKE]£1,600[/STRIKE]/ £1,596.99
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the thread Zippy/Coxy/Soltice

I'm in again with a budget of £180 for all food, toiletries and cleaning for 2 adults and 2 teens who eat even more than adults.

We have found January too tight on £120 or £7.50 per person per week. We'll make it as I have £9 left but it will mean saying no to some things and getting very clever baking wise :o
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    I am definitely in 110% this month. I will be honest and admit I've been a bit slack which has resulted in me going over my GC budget and naughtily not declaring it!

Wonder Bairn is now 42 weeks (how the heck?!) and generally only on two bottles of formula a day, occasionally three if she's having a hungry day but I am taking formula out of the GC as it is totally skewing my total (£8.49 x 4 is £33.96 so a substantial chunk of the budget!) she is also now entirely on 'normal food - I do still buy a few jars but they are only for emergencies/days we are out or seriously tight on time (mainly nights when bf and I eat a lot later than usual) - however I don't tend to buy anything special in for her apart from baby biscotti/mini rusks, fromage frais and the ocassional store cupboard item like baby pasta.

I've done a meal plan for the month (!) which I intend to stick to and we have 2.5/3 days away at a league weekend where the food is from a different budget.

This month I am moving away from shopping at Tesco and am going to use Aldi for the majority, Iceland for a few frozen items and ASDA for some things we like which are on offer. There's an Aldi right by the big ASDA, a little ASDA I sometimes walk to on my lunch on work days (less spending temptation that a walk in to town) and an Aldi on my way home. Iceland isn't far from our house and I will likely try and walk there when bf is away if the weather allows. Oh and I use Poundworld for things like bf's hairgel, cleaning/laundry supplies and some lunch items (in the retail park opposite work)

I am going to finalise a budget based on my plans tonight and I will come back and post it shortly :)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • dawn_rose
    dawn_rose Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2015 at 6:17PM
    Options
    Hiya can i join in for another month please. £260 again for 2 adults and 3 kids. Thanks.
    Jan 2015 GC £267/£260
    Feb 2015 GC /£260
  • charmed1318
    Options
    Seeing as I am stealing everyone's recipes. Thought I'd share an extremely simple one that's snowballed me into cooking from scratch for the first time in my life :)
    Tarragon Chicken
    Cook the chicken (in chunks/strips) and the tarragon (it says fresh, but I use dried) in a pan with oil (I use groundnut) and a knob of butter.
    Add enough cream (I use double, might try with single next time) to make a sauce. Wait for a minute for it to bubble, add a squirt or two of lemon juice (I have left this out a couple times) and season if required.

I have had it with cauliflower mash or pasta or just spinach (frozen obviously).

Voila
  • Trying_really_hard
    Options
    Evening All.

Just totting up my figures for the close of the January thread but I start Feb tomorrow as its Payday!! I'll also catch up on the thread to here :D

So, just to ensure that January wasn't a fluke, considering all the leftovers I had to use up, I'd like to declare a monthly target of £350 again for Feb. Anything left over is put towards baby savings (buggies are VERY expensive!
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family