HELP - I had an accident in my wife's car while transporting it uninsured!

Options
Klara111
Klara111 Posts: 21 Forumite
edited 15 March 2018 at 7:56PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi everybody!
I really need forum advice please!

My wife owns the car I was driving yesterday and was smashed in the driver's side on the motorway. Very minor damage to my wife's car, but the 3d party made the photos and showed intention to claim to insurance comp.
I am insured to drive other cars, but only if the car has lawful cover. MY WIFE'S car has NO COVER as it is to be sold or sorn .. It happened, that I had to transport it from A to B.. didn't read my policy properly..
WHAT TO DO NOW??
Should I or my wife go to police? PS: I did't do any photos or noted the plate number of the car that smashed into me.
Please, your oppoinion is highly appreciated!!:mad:

Should I ask my wife to SORN it urgently??
UPDATE: I am a formal owner of the car I was driving, no insurance for this car, it is SORNed since 1st December '17

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2017 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Why consider the police - unless you want to make a confession.?

Separately to the issue of the uninsured driving and thus having to pay all the costs involved yourself you must either sorn the car or get it insured now. Otherwise you can expect a penalty under continuous insurance rules

Keep all this away from any insurance. If it's too late for this expect consequences!!
  • Klara111
    Options
    well.. don't really know what to do!
    i read a lot over night and it seems IF the 3d party will pursue the case ->my wife, not me, will have problems like a court case and some points and fine to pay.. as the car owner.. who allowed to drive uninsured car..
    And what to do with the car now? Shall I ask her to insure it again until final decision to SORN or sell?
  • Quentin
    Options
    No. You are in big trouble too.

Who drove uninsured??
  • Klara111
    Options
    I was a driver.
    With my other car I am covered to drive other cars but if this other car insured..
    My wife's car has no insurance at all since I got the new car 3 weeks ago

Should I ask my wife to SORN it urgently??
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, you must SORN it straight away and ensure it's not kept on a road maintained at the public's expense.

If it's parked on the road it will need to be insured and taxed

As you've had it for 3 weeks and not SORN'd it you risk the fine for that as well.

You will be liable for the costs and damage to the other car.

Your wife would only get in trouble if the police became involved for letting you drive her car without insurance. That would normally be 6 points for her, and 6 points for you as well but she won't be responsible for having to pay for the damage to the other car.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Klara111 wrote: »
    I was a driver.
    With my other car I am covered to drive other cars but if this other car insured..
    My wife's car has no insurance at all since I got the new car 3 weeks ago

Thus you were driving uninsured!!
  • Klara111
    Options
    yes.. it sounds I was uninsured to drive this car :eek:
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who was at fault for the accident ?
  • Klara111
    Options
    I was in a middle lane when the other car in the right hand line I guess asked his friend to pull his car in front of mine and to start breaking eraticly.
    while I was concentrating on the car in front of me, the car on right acelarated to just in front of me in the outside lane.
    his car was a half of the car body lenght in front of mine, when he indicated and draw strait into me.
    The rear side of his car hit into the front side of my car.
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably declaring you were driving illegally on a public forum isn't the best thing to do for starters.

It sounds like the other driver is mostly to blame, but your best bet of staying out of bother would be to pay repairs without talking to any insurance companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure