Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have booked a viewing to see a house on Saturday :eek:

Not at all planning on moving really but spotted a house in the town next to us (between where we are now and work) that has been reduced again and is now possibly within our price range.

Bad points :

On main road (we currently are here)

The thought of selling our shabby house

The thought of clearing our shabby house

The thought of sorting everything myself as dh never here :o

£550k :eek:

Different town, not walking distance to mums or best friend (usually drive to be fair though :rotfl:)

Victorian but made ugly with extensions

Good points :

5 bed - 4 very large beds of 15ft (ds2's room currently about 5x7)

4 toilets

3 bathrooms

Bus to current town (tube and mainline) Is outside e house or 10min drive

2x large living rooms

Massive garden

Double garage

Detached :T:T

Reduced from £625 to £600 to £550 this week

Double built in garage

Boys can walk to college

Opposite a theatre and 3 mins walk to town with loads of restaurants /bars /shops but not on the busiest main road but one that runs parallel.

Totally renovated and fairly In keeping, with tiled hallway and wood floors etc.

It has not sold as it's on a main road, is ugly and I guess probably because it's so close to the town.

The town is bigger than our town but is not far, around 10mins away. The house prices are a bit less there as we are currently in a pocket of
    Crazy prices here, its stockbroker belt where we are and has a reputation for being a bit posh :rotfl: A 3 bed mid terrace a few doors along to ours has just gone up for £400k, one on the road behind £475 for the same with 3 beds but a kitchen extension too. Ours is 4 bed 2x bath but is a bit shabby in places :D

The new town is similar but a but bigger and busier.

Am I mad for going to look ?! I know we will love it as it's twice the size of ours and totally finished by the looks of it, but so close to being mf now :o

Help.......
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Options
    Feeling your pain Newgirly. That sums up exactly how I was feeling when we decided to move this year. We are part way through the process and the going feels easier now a couple of milestones have been passed.

I found myself a new mantra ('it is possible to move a mountain by carrying small stones'), did one thing at a time and kept putting one foot in front of the other. If this is your dream home it will be easy to put up with some short term pain for the long term gain. So make sure it's the very best option for you and the family before you start the journey.

And hey, even the ugly ones deserve to be loved :)
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • newgirly
    Options
    Thanks fortune smiles, it looks like it could be a dream home and the right location for us as a family but is not my home town (which I am very attached to) it's a house that we could never afford here it would be over £800k at least.

Not sure we can even get a mortgage with all our complications.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Thanks fortune smiles, it looks like it could be a dream home and the right location for us as a family but is not my home town (which I am very attached to) it's a house that we could never afford here it would be over £800k at least.

Not sure we can even get a mortgage with all our complications.

We're the same. Moving further north as we can get so much more for our money.

Might be worth talking to an independent financial adviser about the mortgage.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK boring voice of reason here:-

How old are your children now and how long will they be at home?

Will that house be too big for you in 5 years time?

How long can your husband sustain working as hard as he is, would being mortgage free take some of the pressure off him?

Would being mortgage free allow you to give extra support to your children as they move towards independence?

How many cruises would you have to forego because of the additional mortgage;)
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • newgirly
    Options
    I'll try and speak to our building society tomorrow to start with, but you could be right about seeing an ifa.

Moving up north would be a much cheaper option, but our commute may be a bit lengthy to work :D

Are you moving to a totally new area then or do your have family /friends up there?
  • newgirly
    Options
    LadyGnome wrote: »
    OK boring voice of reason here:-

How old are your children now and how long will they be at home?

Will that house be too big for you in 5 years time?

How long can your husband sustain working as hard as he is, would being mortgage free take some of the pressure off him?

Would being mortgage free allow you to give extra support to your children as they move towards independence?

How many cruises would you have to forego because of the additional mortgage;)

Just what I was looking for actually :D

Kids ds are 16/16/19 (all birthdays in July, so soon a year older)

House likely to still be fine for way longer than 5 years as a 1 bed flat is around £250k min at the moment anywhere nearby, even if we stay and become mf it will be a very long time before we can save enough to help all three out.

Dh told me at Xmas (deep breath.... ) that being mf will make no difference to his working hours as he feels responsible for it all regardless of our circumstances - this did cause more than one "discussion" as you can imagine as it was a big part of my wanting is to be mf :( he feels just as responsible for he staff as us basically.

Currently we are paying between £2800 and £3k pm to clear it in about 17 months (being too frugal really) it would mean a new mortgage of £180-£220 I really dont know exactly how much.

We would have to take a longer term journey clearing it as we couldn't continue paying at the rate we are, probably it would add 5 years if we continue being frugal, longer with cruises :D

I'm 42 , dh is 44
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    I'll try and speak to our building society tomorrow to start with, but you could be right about seeing an ifa.

Moving up north would be a much cheaper option, but our commute may be a bit lengthy to work :D

Are you moving to a totally new area then or do your have family /friends up there?

I'd recommend an IFA - they have access to so much more and will advise according to your needs, wants and circumstances. The bank and building society advisers are tied to their own products so are much more limited.

Didn't know a soul in the area when we started the journey but have since discovered some old friends there. We are moving to be closer to family... but not too close :rotfl:

Mr F works from home (theoretically) so the commute isn't a problem for him :rotfl:

Fortune x
  • newgirly
    Options
    I hope my it all goes well for you fortune, I think it's quite brave to move to a new area, I used to want to when I was younger, now I can't imagine it :o
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    From no garage to a double sounds good to me ... ;):D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing