extension ladders for guttering

Options
Hi We need some ladders to do guttering and change bulb on outside lights on the side of the house, does anyone know where you can buy them for not bad prices? also when googling it said a 2 floor house is 4.9m, this ladder I have seen is 5.2m for £89, would this be high enough and a proper website?

http://www.laddersukdirect.co.uk/domestic-extension-ladders/lyte-diy-triple-extension-ladders-53.html

Comments

• tired_dad
    Options
    Cheap ladders wobble/bounce like there is no tomorrow. When your up it, your life and limb are in the hands of the ladder. At that price I would question stability.

The ladder is placed at an angle. So if you want 4.9m up, 5.2 will not do as its not long enough.

Our tree man uses Zarges ladders.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    No chance with a 5.2m ladder for working safely. Health and Safety is vital when working of a ladder. Google things out, but memory is ladder angle should be around 65 degrees with around 1m projecting above the reach point - vital to give you something to hold onto and brace yourself against.

Then consider can you lift and erect the ladder - you are seeking a domestic grade which is flimsy, but still requires strength and care to use. To give an example, no way will my good lady attempt to put up our domestic ladder - it is beyond her strength and confidence.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to add if it is an extension ladder (double or triple) you need to make sure there is enough overlap when the ladder is fully extended, i.e. don't use it with the extended section clipped onto the last rung of the unextended section.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got a neighbour who you could borrow a set off or how about getting someone to do the guttering ?
  • ktcoil
    ktcoil Posts: 559 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    No I did check with next door, It was for the guttering and also we have to spot lights that should come on when you go on the drive, there plugged in but don't come on so guessing needs new bulbs.

I was told by someone that you can hire and they drop and pick up for the weekend it would be £21 which might be a better option.

Also I don't have to store them down the side of conservatory, chase of them getting stolen or someone using them to break into our house or them rusting in the rain and then being very unsafe using.

thanks
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    I'd hire some class 2 ladders. I use class 2 for work and although there a bit heavier they are very stable and I feel very safe on them.
  • ktcoil
    ktcoil Posts: 559 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for that, as it will the first for both of us to use a ladder on a house, normally just the 3 step ladder or ladders into the attic lol.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would also add a ladder stand-off.
  • philbostavros
    Options
    Hi ktcoil

If you've never used ladders then I would start by reading the information on ladder safety on the HSE website?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg455.htm

There are also loads of companies offering online "training", ranging from Free to "loads of money".

If you know anyone who is competent and experienced in ladders, then why not ask them to show you?

I only became "competent" after being shown the ropes (and subsequent "training"), when I was an apprentice, many years ago. Even after this, it is down to the individual to carry out correct procedures, including checking the ground you'll place the ladder on, where to rest the top of the ladder, anchoring the ladder to prevent mishaps etc.

You really should also wear protective head gear and other safety equipment.

If all this sounds a bit over-the-top, you've only got to read the stats on the number of people injured or killed each year.

As someone has already said, you may want to consider getting a local trades-person to quote you for the work?

Whatever you decide, good luck and stay safe.

Phil
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bought a set of these new a couple of years back.
    https://www.ladders-online.com/tbdavies-trade-en131-double-triple-aluminium-extension-ladder.html
    (no affilation)
    They seem excellent ladders. Not too heavy but solid!
    Ladders don't rust much generally, (It's only the fitting that will rust anyway)
    If you do get a set. lock them up properly. Don't lend them out, they will get abused and dropped.
    Expect to be asked!
    And as already said learn how to use them properly and get a ladder standoff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure