IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Wrongly accused

Options
Advice please - Parking Eye’s ANPR camera has me entering a retail car park one day and not leaving until the following day. In fact I made two visits on subsequent days. The idiots have obviously conveniently overlooked the record from their ANPR camera showing me leaving on day one (after about 45mins) and arriving day two (about 1 hour before my departure time on day 2 ) - advice please on how best to proceed - I have ask one of the retailers to contact PE and have the “ invoice” cancelled but interested to know what to do if this fails to have the desired effect.

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Start by editing your post to remove information about who did what. Only refer to The Driver and The Keeper.

Next, please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then send the BPA template in blue to parking lie, adding a single line to say that the driver made two visits and therefore their ANPR system is in error and you will provide proof at PoPLA if they fail to cancel this.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Start by editing your post to remove information about who did what. Only refer to The Driver and The Keeper.

Why? The OP was the driver on both occasions, and should say so, with evidence that it was two separate visits.

Trying to hide behind the technicalities of POFA is a pointless exercise, unless the keeper wasn't driving and can prove it.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry FC but I agree with Mr C. There are far too many knee-jerk posts of this nature at this place.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    if it is PE then its likely they met POFA2012 so staying as keeper is not the best idea when as driver you were elsewhere , especially if it can be proven

their whole case is based on the supposition that the driver had one long stay , so in a double dipping case its probably best to meet them head on , especially if their NTK and timeline for delivery met POFA2012
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who's retail car park was it????

You must come down like a ton of bricks on the owners of the retail park
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • arrow256
    Options
    I sorry to say but answers to my post directing me to parts of a site I am not familiar with are not really helpful.
    Likewise I feel there are too many abbreviations being bandied about.
    This is simple - I have done nothing wrong- I just went back to my home half a mile away after the first visit to the carpark and didn’t leave my house again until the next morning when I went to the carpark again - how do I prove that?? Surely it is the enforcing agent that must prove that my car was in their carpark for 21 hours. In my case they can’t because my car wasn’t there it was back in my garage. Any useful advice welcome
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to find the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

It's a thread entitled: **NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

You've been on MSE forums for over eight years now so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

The first post in that thread explains how to deal with your situation.

The fifth post explains many of the 'abbreviations' used.

Like most things in life, if you are accused of something you need to demonstrate why that accusation isn't valid.

Pretty much like your parking situation.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you are using a mobile phone ,,, you may find that a PC/laptop will improve matters .......

the newbies thread is here ...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

please accept that this forum is very ... Very busy and lot of Lots of questions get re asked ....

to some it may look like you are an experienced forum user as your account is 8 years old ... but I noticed that you have made 5 posts in that time ... so ... please accept that this some times things can wear thin ....

have a look through the newbies thread ... I am sure it will help ..

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    arrow256 wrote: »
    I sorry to say but answers to my post directing me to parts of a site I am not familiar with are not really helpful.
    This is simple - I have done nothing wrong- I just went back to my home half a mile away after the first visit to the carpark and didn’t leave my house again until the next morning when I went to the carpark again - how do I prove that?? Surely it is the enforcing agent that must prove that my car was in their carpark for 21 hours. In my case they can’t because my car wasn’t there it was back in my garage. Any useful advice welcome

There will be no agent, just a dumb camera on a stick controlled by a computer that may, or may not work.

The ton of bricks on the landowner comment comes form the fact that the landowner as principal is jointly liable for the actions of its agents.
    If the parking company has accessed your data without good reason, ie it has been careless in using a flawed system (ANPR) then it has no just cause to access and process your personal data - and then use that data to cause you upset/stress/grief/aggro etc.
    This is/could be interpreted as a Breach of the DPA (Data Protection Act) for which the landowner will be jointly liable.

Who's car park was it?

edit- as for the mobile phone comment - you don't need to have been using it, just having it on your person or with you - this only applies to smart phones in most cases though
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2018 at 12:31AM
    Options
    arrow256 wrote: »

There is an entire thread about what we call the 'double dip' ANPR phenomenon:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5550336

and a Parking Prankster Blog or three about it:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/parkingeye-subject-to-data-protection.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/elvis-walks-free-map-department-fails.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/how-parking-operators-use-anpr.html

and this list too, from the 'No To' Mob:

http://notomob.co.uk/discussions/index.php?topic=5768,0

You can appeal saying that this was a double visit and it's best of you can evidence where you were in between (e.g. show that your credit card was used 20 miles away that evening, or show you were at work the next day, etc.).

You might ask why you should provide this evidence? Point being, POPLA will expect you to show the ANPR failure, or POPLA will assume 'the system of cameras' was working.

Easiest to start by a massive complaint to the Retail Park owners/managing agents/Store Manager.

As an aside, please also contact WHICH? magazine using the easy link from this thread to tell them briefly of your plight. The more people who contact WHICH, the more likely they are to take up this unregulated scam industry as their next cause:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5765579
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure