PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers!
    I can't believe we are entering month 8 already! I've just my store cupboard inventory to do before starting on August budget but I'm absolutely positively NOT going to spend another penny between today and tomorrow, so came in under budget for July :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Hi All!!
    Well I popped into Mr T today and picked up some more of the Alaskan Salmon fillets on offer. Will add them to my long term total. Still have a little room in the freezer. Also had vouchers for a free boost smoothie and tub of extra light philli.
    Question:
    I also bought a pack of red chillies for the Feed family for a £5 recipe I want to try but I have just noticed they are graded as medium...how hot is that.. I like spicy food but NOT the type that blows my head off..I thought I'd ask you experienced cooks whether that should be ok as a general red chilli and also if I should use less of it??
    Thanks for any help.

Everyone seems to have made a good start to the day!!

Oh and Kaz2904 I know you love your sister but I would have been frustrated about that milk too..but what a lovely OH you have.. he certainly appreciates your efforts.

Sian the green-Sad as it may seem I would agree that I couldn't give up my OB for anything..spent a long time looking for him and we are soul mates. So glad we are doing this challenge together. We've just booked our wedding date for next year so it looks like my Costa Rican adventure will double as a honeymoon!!

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • newmoneysaver_2
    Options
    We've just booked our wedding date for next year so it looks like my Costa Rican adventure will double as a honeymoon!!

SFT

Ah congratulations SFT! :beer:
  • pandaperson
    Options
    Can I join in, started doing a similar thing last month ....I have even found recipes for Naan Breads which I think taste better than shop bought!!!!
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning all, I think it,s time for me to use some of the tins I bought just to use up coupons, so it,s tinned chilli for my work tonight with some of my stockpiled rice.I,m still munching my way through the Kellogs cereal I bought a few months ago because the coupons inside the pack gave more money back than the cereal cost. So it,s a win win situ at the moment, I,m going to get the train to work, saving £1.10 today. I must make an appointment for the chiropodist to get me tootsies looking nice before the hols, and make an appointment for a nice wee massage, I claim the money back from insurance so a good pampering in store. I have run out of bread but will hang back for a bit and try to use the pitta bread from the freezer instead. It sounds good but can I hack it, I,m full of good intentions.

SFT: congrats on your forthcoming wedding, your chillies will be fine not hot-hot.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • gillaman
    gillaman Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    :j Another NSD. Declaring £131.19 for July . Haven't done a major shop since 2 July. Hoping to last out until next week, might need milk and tea.

Well done to everyone who hasn't cooked before but is now having a go. It can be scary because you don't want to spoil anything and waste money, but the people on this site are all really helpful. I can remember when I first got married ringing my mum every other day with questions like "Help - the sponge mix has curdled" or "Why has my casserole still not cooked and it's 11.00 p.m. and we haven't eaten yet".

I made chilli yesterday, divided into 3 and ate one lot for dinner. Made herby bread, half in freezer, tasted good but not sure I'll put sugar in next time.

Sosh - hope things improve for you.
    Wendy - gives you a sick feeling when you realise what's happened. I had my bank account hacked into twice this year - fortunately they didn't take anything, you can guess why!!
    SFT - the peas sound yummy - must try them.
    Sian - My luxury would be organic, chemical free cosmetics and toiletries. Don't know why they always have to be more expensive but I won't go back to using products with petrol in them if I can help it.
    Mandy_moo_1 - thanks for the website on phone numbers

Had an anxious few days as my dd has been made redundant (though she does have a job interview next week thank goodness) and her dd1, who is expecting her second babe, is in hospital with an infection. Hoping she'll be out today.

Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations SFT!.
    I have just made bounty slices- chilling in the fridge just now.
    Also made a plum cake (will post recipe later- again mine is adapted from the original!)
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/2719708838_edc973b775.jpg
    :wave: xx
    Edited to include recipe:

Plum Cake (adapted from Low Fat Food For Life Woman's Weekly Book)

I have put in brackets what the book said after what I actually used lol!

125g margarine (low fat dairy free spread)
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    100g firmly packed brown sugar
    3 eggs, separated
    155g SR flour (75g white, 80g wholemeal)
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    4 soft plums (4 whole canned plums in syrup)- sliced into quarters

Cream the marg, essence, sugar and egg yolks.
    Add flour and cinnamon to the above and mix well.
    In a separate bowl whisk egg whites to 'soft peak'.
    Gently fold egg whites in to main mix.
    Put into a greased ring pan (I think an ordinary cake tray would do) and cook at 180 fan (moderate) for 30 mins.
    Stand for 10 mins and turn out to cool on a wire rack- turning it the right way up.
    Dust with icing sugar if you like.
    Yummy.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• bunzee
    bunzee Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations SFT :D

Got my signature all ready for the challenge, will make a store cupboard list tonight so I know exactly what I've got in and so don't waste anything :)
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Thanks Guys..
    Its my second wedding and my first was so stressful..was left to organise and pay (ex only told me about his serious debt 2 months before big day..) for it all myself..So this time I want simple and for it to be about OB and myself. And if I'm really honest I don't want to spend an absolute fortune on frills and unnecessary costs .. and my parents are retired so I don't want them to contribute. So may ask for some ideas later on as to how to do it and support from like minded people...
    I know some people like to judge you according to your big day but those people are shallow anyway.
    Thanks SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've read of few posts with people mentioning freezing cakes and biscuits. I've never frozen anything like this, what freezes best? Do you freeze the biscuit dough or when they are baked? I'm having a c-sec next week so it would be good to do some extra baking with the children and freeze it.

Need to update my sig as I bought 6pts of milk from Tesco Express. I looked in there to see if any of the Supercook items mentioned on another thread were reduced but they didnt have any nor the Hovis breadmix that is on offer.

I never make bread, the breadmaker we have was given to us, it was a cheap one and is rubbish. I only ever use it to make dough for pizza whirls. The loaf it makes is tiny and isn't a great shape. I was thinking that I might use it nore to preapre dough but then bake it in the oven.

I must check out some of these other dough recipes, I've seen Naan, tortilla, etc mentioned. Which recipes do you recommend?

One last question, how much vinegar do I put in my washing machine and do I put it in the softner section? I think I need to buy a new machine as it doesn't seem to work on many of the programmes so is costing me more in the long run eg a quick wash leaves the clothes looking unwashed and I can't use the low temp. When my bbay is born next week I will be using real nappies so I need a reliable machine.

Edit: sorry, another question! Dh brough home a pile of various chillis that were given to him by a customer. Not many will be used as I can't eat them while breastfeeding and the children only have a tiny amount. How do I dry them so they aren't wasted?
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport