PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Using Shampoo in the Washing Machine

Options

Comments

• cyclingyorkie
    Options
    I will have to get some!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • tanyalbeck
    Options
    Hi,
    I used to buy FAR too much shampoo before my scalp went and got sensitive on me! I now have about 6-8 half-used bottles that I can use on my head. Using it as bubble bath is out as i dont get time to have a good soak more than twice a year - quick showers for me instead!!

I've also just run out of washing machine liquid (I've been diluting all cleaning stuff with 50% vinegar forever now.)

Can i use shampoo in the machine? or what else can i DO with it? I hate waste!
    can I make my own wash liquid that really works? I have 2 kids and am a childminder to we have mud/ orange juice/ yogurt/ bananas on lots of stuff!

Thanks so much
    Tanya
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yeah i hear people saying they use value shower gel in the machine so don't see why shampoo wouldn't work maybe put in a scoop of vanish (or the cheaper poundland one) to deal with the extra dirt, also you can put conditioner in your cistern to make your loo smell nice
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tanyalbeck,

These threads have advice that may help:

Using up shampoo

using shampoo as soap

I'll add your thread to one of those later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • tanyalbeck
    Options
    thanks so much!! most of it is ridilulously expensive designer-y stuff so i know my clothes will smell good, and it's nice to know i wont have to pour it straight down the drain!

Do you think i can mix it 50-50 with vinegar like i do 'normal' wash liquid?
    Tanya x
  • snookey
    snookey Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Options
    Hi you could also use it like the shower gel. I buy bubble bath and put it into our dispenser and use it like shower gel. Its cheaper and in some cases no different.
    Also use it as a cleaner for the sink,bath and floor.
  • davetaylor
    davetaylor Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did I read someone post about using budget shampoo as as laundry liquid? Is there a thread about this? I need a budget washing powder/liquid solution for very lightly soiled items and this sounds ideal!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Dave,

Is this the thread you were thinking of?

I use 50/50 washing powder and soda crystals (which are much cheaper than washing powder) and find I get much better results than washing powder or liquid alone.

I'll add your thread to the above link later to keep the replies in one place.

Pink
  • davetaylor
    davetaylor Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really appreciate the link but I can't seem to see anything about shampoo being used in the washing machine though? I'm sure I read something about that on here in the last week or so.?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure